What internet radio station do you tune into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I use Launchcast personal radio on Yahoo Music. It has some crap on it from time to time, but you can manipulate it pretty easily.

Tell me that there aren't some awesome songs on here:

picturede7.jpg

:shifty:

So, what do you use? :drool:

LemonMelon said:

:shocked:

You're kidding, I hope. :flirt:

I'm not. I thought it was just listening to proper radio stations over the internet.

I'm ignorant when it comes to the internet....

I don't think I'll ever be able to surrender my proper AM/FM radios...

intedomine said:

I'm not. I thought it was just listening to proper radio stations over the internet.

I'm ignorant when it comes to the internet....

I don't think I'll ever be able to surrender my proper AM/FM radios...

Well, this is your lucky day! :wink:

Internet radio is very much like regular radio, except that the choices of what you listen to are vastly increased. There's no tuning involved, and much of it is free, with little to no commercials.

http://www.live365.com/index.live
http://www.musicovery.com/

I used to use Yahoo, but I got sick of the annoying commercials. I like Last.fm. My two favorites, though, are Woxy and WXPN.

I think Woxy used to be an actual radio station, but they moved to completely online awhile back. They have a vintage channel and their regular one. You can find it here: http://woxy.lala.com/

WXPN is a fantastic public radio station out of Philadelphia. I used to pick it up very faintly from where I lived when I was a teenager, and I love checking it out now online: http://www.xpn.org/

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I think Woxy used to be an actual radio station, but they moved to completely online awhile back. They have a vintage channel and their regular one. You can find it here: http://woxy.lala.com/

Yes, it was. It was a terrestrial station in Oxford Ohio with the same owners and a modern rock format from 1983 it (the terrestrial station) was sold in 2004. Sometime during the 90s an internet stream was started, and after the sale of the regular radio station it went completely internet. There have been some ups and downs with the internet only station, but it is still kicking.

I listened to it a lot from the mid 80s to the mid 90s while commuting to work (couldn't get the signal at home), but got out of the habit of listening to the radio before I got a connection I could really use to listen with. It's a great station if you want to hear music that isn't in the mainstream.

got this in an email from Pandora:

Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help. The survival of Pandora and all of Internet radio is in jeopardy because of a recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC to almost triple the licensing fees for Internet radio sites like Pandora. The new royalty rates are irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays and broadcast radio doesn't pay these at all. Left unchanged, these new royalties will kill every Internet radio site, including Pandora.

In response to these new and unfair fees, we have formed the SaveNetRadio Coalition, a group that includes listeners, artists, labels and webcasters. I hope that you will consider joining us.

Please sign our petition urging your Congressional representative to act to save Internet radio: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541

Please feel free to forward this link/email to your friends - the more petitioners we can get, the better.

Understand that we are fully supportive of paying royalties to the artists whose music we play, and have done so since our inception. As a former touring musician myself, I'm no stranger to the challenges facing working musicians. The issue we have with the recent ruling is that it puts the cost of streaming far out of the range of ANY webcaster's business potential.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to sign our petition - it WILL make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners, are by far our biggest and most influential allies.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)

stuck in SoCal! :D:D:D:D:D

Lila64 said:
what is WOXY? :shrug:

not to mention I've never heard of Friendly's either :shrug:

WOXY was/is a Cincy based radio station...now found on the internet.

Friendly's is mainly an east coast operation. ;)

stuck? I wouldn't call the S.Calif weather being stuck

Thanks for that.

Maybe I'll search them out one of these days. iPod currently attached to my head

And we have See's Candy :madspit:

:wink:

Indie103 is a great station in LA that is found online, but they still have ads, so that is a big drawback.

I'd love to listen to internet radio a lot more, but we're not allowed to tie up bandwidth at work with streaming audio. At home I'd rather listen to CDs. There needs to be an MP3 player with wireless that plays internet radio. That would be awesome!

I listen to the webstream of 93.3 CFMU which is the campus station of the university I go to (at least for one more day). I especially like monday nights at midnight for two hours because I find I absolutely love every song that gets played!! it is nearly orgasmic.. a mix of rock and folky stuff and electronic and even some good hip hop now and again. Just what I like. I guess the fact that I host said radio program increases the odds that I'll like what gets played.. ah well.

I haven't listened to any of these stations but I'll be sure to check them out.

I love to check out the music coming out of the UK so will often listen to Virgin Radio as that's what I listened to when I lived there (plus XFM but I don't know if it still exists?). Perhaps some Brits could suggest other radio stations as I haven't lived there in several years.

Back
Top Bottom