What in the H-E-Doublehockeysticks were they thinking? Worst cover songs. Ever.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
What cover songs do you despise? Today, my votes are going to be:

Britney Spears- Satisfaction (Rolling Stones)
Rod Stewart- Cigarettes and Alcohol (Oasis) Complete with cheesy synth!

Moonlit_Angel said:
Kelis did "Smells Like Teen Spirit"?

Yeah...that would sound...different...

They played it when they were opening for U2 during the Popmart tour. :yikes:

I'm waiting for someone to say...

Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb

...although I actually like it.

Melon

Moonlit_Angel said:

My votes:

Cher-"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

Angela

Ding, ding, ding!! I think we have a winner!! :lol: I happened to catch this one time on TV and I was deeply disturbed. It was a "What the???" moment. Apparantly she is a big U2 fan though and actually asked them to write a song for her. THANK GOD they didnt!

what about the Duff sisters doing Our Lips Are Sealed :no:

I haven't heard it but it just has to be bad-Minnie Driver, Dancing In The Dark

Last edited:
Madonna - American Pie
The Duffs - Our Lips are Sealed
Celine Dion - All By Myself
Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
some bimbo or rather in bike shorts - Ring My Bell

Im sure theres more. Ill be back......

I always hated Lenny Kravitz's version of American Woman - although I'm sure Burton Cummings of the Guess Who sure didn't - it made over 3.5 million in royalties!!! True Story.

most Smiths covers are abysmal

the Manics' version of Suede's 'The Drowners', except that it's hilarious enough to be not crap, but it deserves a mention

and just to pre-empt everyone:

'Street Spirit' by the Darkness because Radiohead are Jesus and this is sacrilege, blah blah blah. Yeah, whatever.

here's some more!

- Billy Bragg's painful version of the Clash's 'Garageland'
- Irish boyband Westlife's endless slew of fun karaoke cover songs, from 'Uptown Girl' to 'Mandy'
- Joss Stone versus the White Stripes. She gets points for a nice voice and an interesting take on the song but I don't think it came off very well. Her other stuff is pretty good though.

T.a.t.u. - How Soon Is Now?
Fred Durst - Wish You Were Here
Alex Lloyd - Mysterious Ways
Madonna - American Pie
William Shattner - Common People (although his cover is so plain bizarre it almost emerges on the other side of badness, :))

Hillary Duff's Our Lips are Sealed" is great!!!!!!!!!

now what the hell were u2 thinking when the covered Led Zeppelin's whole lotta love. hello edge cant play rock guitar!!!!

melon said:
I'm waiting for someone to say...

Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb

...although I actually like it.

Melon

i am going to murder you and eat your children.

how the fuck anyone can enjoy that, let alone listen to it is completely unfathomable. :mad:

Blue Room said:
Ding, ding, ding!! I think we have a winner!! :lol: I happened to catch this one time on TV and I was deeply disturbed. It was a "What the???" moment. Apparantly she is a big U2 fan though and actually asked them to write a song for her. THANK GOD they didnt!

I didn't know she asked them to write a song for her! Whoa...that would've been weird...

I heard this cover when her farewell concert thingy was on TV, too-my mom was watching it 'cause she likes Cher and likes some of her music, and I heard this and was like, "Uh...okay, Cher, respect for you as a person and all that-but please, just stop now...". Even my mom agrees that she probably shouldn't have done that cover :p.

I'll also agree with the Duff sisters doing "Our Lips Are Sealed" (Hilary actually did "My Generation"? Wha...who...when...WHY?).

Heh, another one that just came to my mind, 'cause Debbie Gibson just came on the 80s channel I'm listening to right now, and that in turn made me think of Tiffany and her cover of the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" (except she changed "her" to "him"). Seriously, there should be a rule that all teen pop stars like Tiffany and Britney and *N Sync and Hilary Duff and whatnot should stay away from doing classic bands' songs. It just doesn't work.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom