What if I go to Edmonton this summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Steve's thinking about Sturgis again this summer, so I might go meet him there. I was thinking about going to Edmonton on the way there. I know Banff is nearby, but is there anything else? I do like prairie and desertedness. For some reason, I've always wanted to go to Edmonton.

Now, I do realize that Edmonton is nowhere near anything "on the way" to Sturgis from SoCal, so we won't discuss that. :wink:

banff, kanaskis, calgary, drumheller (dinosaur remnants) are all within striking distance of edmonton.

im unsure why you would really want to go to edmonton though. aside from the provincial legislature and the saskatchewan river there isnt much going on-especially without the oilers playing.

calgary would be a better base for your vacation to work from.

I am in Edmonton!!! :wave:

There a big mall to shop in, if you're into that. The river valley is very pretty. You could go to Whyte Avenue, lots of cool little shops. Edmonton is about the same distance away from Banff and Jasper National Parks. Banff is a bit more trendy, but Jasper is just as beautiful.

I forgot to mention, depending on when you come (if you decide to), there are a lot of festivals in the summer: Heritage Days, The Fringe, A Taste of Edmonton, The Street Performers, among others.

Last edited:
Take 101 all the way up the coast :up:

Stop in Vancouver and have dinner with the fahs :up:

Drive into the interior of British Columbia via the Okanagon (deserts, lakes, resorts, wineries) :up:

Go to Banff/Jasper :up:

From there....Calgary, Drumheller (cool dinosaur museum) and then Edmonton

lmjhitman said:
I am in Edmonton!!! :wave:

There a big mall to shop in, if you're into that. others.

Big Mall is an understatement. It used to be (or still is??) the largest mall in the world until Mall of America opened up in Minnesota.

Being from the West (and my bro lives in Edmonton), I agree with others who recommend Banff, Jasper and definitely without a doubt, Vancouver - one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.

As for Edmonton itself, well, there are definitely more beautiful Canadian cities out there if your wish is to explore the Great North.

U2_Muse said:
lmjhitman, you should work in tourism. :wink:

I was raised here, and, after travelling through Europe, I came back and hated it here. Then I moved to a small town where there was NOTHING to do, no malls, no movie theatres, no coffee shops, no bookstores - NOTHING. Since moving back, I have gained a new appreciation for Edmonton! I was pretty proud when, at the first Popmart show in '97, Bono came out and said, "Why haven't we been here before?" When I read Willie's Diary afterwards, it seemed like the whole U2 camp were pretty impressed with our fair city, so that was cool! :up:

I was born and raised here, and I've only recently started travelling. Doing so has only increased my desire to keep leaving Edmonton. There are things that I appreciate about it, but maybe one day, I'll appreciate it enough to encourage people to come here. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom