What have the Band and Clatter done for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
What have the Band and Clatter done for you?

What has it lead you in to?

What artists has it pushed? What have you discovered or decided?

What have you found/lost?

-------------------------------------
I found Radiohead, R.E.M, Bjork, The Alarm, Oasis and the Verve.

Music does not have to be structured. It can be sweeping.

I used to listen to all U2. Now I listen to all sorts of music. And I can look forward to more with help from people here.

B & C has led me to numerous groups. White Stripes last year. And Arcade Fire. I enjoy racking my brain to come up with music trivia bits. I love to discuss music.

The Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, and Stars are the only ones that come to mind.

I've tried to get some threads going for Joseph Arthur, Iron & Wine, Jenny Lewis, etc. and I guess they just don't take.

hmmmmmmm, I'm sure I'm missing a lot but as was mentioned Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens :up:
as well as Costello, Ryan Adams, Muse, Badly Drawn Boy, Interpol, Flaming Lips:bow:..., :hmm: I'm sure I'll think of more later...

REM, Radiohead, Clash, Television, Springsteen, Echo, Bowie, Miles Davis, Cash, Bjork, Doves, and a bunch more other bands I discovered through U2 ...bands/artists they always namecheck...and then from each artist forms a neat web of music connections and influences/contemporaries/followers..

(remember back in the day when U2 had some internet radio station thingy ...where each band member chose their favorite songs and so forth?? Well yeah, I discovereda great deal of music on there.)

Stuff I grew up on: Hendrix, Doors, CCR, Beatles, BB King, Clapton, Who, Zepp, Floyd, ......which got me into 'classic rock' radio station...which then got me into The Police ...which eventually got me to the 80's radio station...where they played Police a lot....but then I also heard the Cure, Smiths, New Order...which got me into downloading their other stuff.............also on this station they played a little band called U2....which more than other bands...the words really stuck out to me..and I remember hearing this band in my uncle's car when I was little...and then I remembered loving the Sweetest Thing video that this spanish channel constantly played every saturday morning! I was suckered in...it took me ages to buy all the cds....growing up in an allowanceless household and cheap parents made it difficult to get the cds. Getting each cd was like a gem, I listened to it for months until I was able to get another one...each one was like a wonderful surprise..

*another large portion of my music discoveries were through borrowing a lot of cds in high school from a teacher and the Dr at my work

lately? hasn't done shit for me. although i did rock out to the sex pistols with unforgettable lemon just last week. that was cool.

in the past i've bought loads of albums as a result of reccomendations from posters here. u2popmofo, while he was still posting here, got me into a bunch of bands. headache got me listening to springsteen. popmartijn got me buying elvis costello cds (that was also recent, actually). pax's ICDE mix convinced me that i needed to get a postal service album. i've had some awesome conversations with yertle. brau1 hooked me up with a stones introduction, and because of him i've listened to exile on main street way more than i can count. some of this stuff i would have eventually found on my own (especially the mainstream bands i just missed the bus on for whatever reason), or through other outlets. but i got good starting points here.

i should also mention the truly bad music this place has helped me avoid, but i'm trying to be nice :wink:

Last edited:
The Music, The Raveonettes, Idlewild, Radiohead...and many others, I'm sure...but those are the first ones that pop to mind. I bought CDs purely because of chatter I'd read about them here.

Although I'd heard some of both Porcupine Tree and Wilco elsewhere first and liked both, I got more info and album recommendations about both bands here.

The only musician I can recall buying solely from a recommendation from here is Jinder. And I quite like that album. :)

:love: Radiohead :love:

Before B&C I only knew The Bends & Ok Computer. Now I have everything except Pablo Honey from which I have Creep and Stop Whispering :drool:

Also... Coldplay! Bought Rush of Blood after much prompting here! :up:

Aimee Mann thanks to mrbrau :bow:

also Arcade Fire for sure, the Flaming Lips, Idlewild, Spoon, the Pixies, the Shins...most of those I knew a little but I got more interested in them after threads here.

I'm not a hardcore Radiohead or Wilco fan but I have a few songs I love that I wouldn't have if it weren't for this forum.

The only band here which I have gotten into because of this forum is Radiohead.

Never really gave them much of a chance before, now I own Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer and Hail To The Theif.

I was put off by what little I heard of Radiohead's music before I came here (which wasn't much).
I noticed how much Radiohead were talked about here and so brought The Bends and have been hooked ever since.

Awesome band, can't wait till I get paid so I can get Kid A and Amnesiac...:hyper:

B&C has turned me onto a few bands over the past few years, namely The Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, and Broken Social Scene. Also, Canadiens1160 showed me to the wonderful world of Television!

I get music recommendations from a lot of different places, not just here. But I think this place may have had something to do with my checking out Arcade Fire and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

It seems like alot of us have gotten in to Radiohead because of the forum!

I wonder who the origonal listener was?

Tarvark said:

I forgot about Radiohead. I think I bought OK Computer before I ever joined Interference, but I've gotten a lot more into them since I've been visiting B&C.

Tarvark said:

I wonder who the origonal listener was?

Isn't Elvis a big Radiohead fan?

I was very happy to bring The Arcade Fire to everyone here...it was nothing, really :shifty:

Echo & The Bunnymen and Pink Floyd are amazing discoveries that have made it to the top of my playlist, thanks to this thread and GibsonGirl :up: As well, I checked out a lot of remixes/live performances by a lot of bands I first saw here.

I knew some great bands thanks to B&C... now my info sources are other sites and people

now... well... it's not what it used to be

Back
Top Bottom