What happened to the Avalanche?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
Two words: Pierre Lacroix

I'm watching the Carolina game and am still reeling from Dallas...
I really thought the firing of Hartley (who I hated) woudl turn this team around.

But Lacroix has done a number on it, with all his tinkering, trades, pushes and threats to win a Cup and thus, more accolades for himself. He was helped out willingly by Bob Hartley for way too long.

I dread that they're going to make another trade. Alex Tanguay and Martin Skoula bashing is at an all time high, I think. (It's always two, rather random third-liners fault and not anyone elses...)

:scream:

Elisabeth

Well for one Roy has been really off his game this year. For a second part they should've never traded Drury because he was clutch when needed. Third even though I like him Tanguay is producing really lousy numbers again.

If they don't go on a huge run, they may go into the playoffs as the eigth seed. Then it'll be hard as hell to advance:(

Wings 4, Avalanche 2.

From what I observed, their main problem this year is the same problem they had last year, and maybe worse--they have no depth. Sure it's nice to beat the Red Wings, but Tony Granato shouldn't feel like he has to double-shift Sakic, Forsberg and Hejduk in a game *before* the All-Star Break.

And I'll agree that Roy doesn't look that stellar. Of the three goals scored on him this game (all of which were high-quality shots), you'd expect him to stop one or two of them.

So AvsGirl, what's the story with Hartley? I live in Atlanta & would like some skinny from an Avs fan's perspective...

Monkey79 said:
So AvsGirl, what's the story with Hartley? I live in Atlanta & would like some skinny from an Avs fan's perspective...

Well, Hartley is currently being sainted in Denver...everyone is still wringing their hands over his firing.

I never liked Hartley (despite that he once backed me up when I defended Skoula to an irate sportscaster) because of his whole "doghouse" method. People keep praising his talent with young players, but usually it just consisted of cornering them, screaming at them for ten or twenty minutes during a practice, sending them out to play a big game and then benching them or flogging them in the press when they'd made a mistake.

Hartley carries long grudges. He makes a player's mistakes very very personal, like they did it to spite him. During the 2000-2001 playoffs, he benched Skoula for no reason anyone could figure out, and was overly defensive when people asked why--and everyone was asking, because it was so obvious that Bourque, Foote and Blake were just dragging out there and here was this young guy, just sitting there. Ville Niminen was traded because of Hartley. He came in to training camp overweight and with alot of personal problems, plus Hartley just disliked him. He benched him for half the season, finally let Nimo back out to play at Christmas, and then he was conviently gone. The only reason he'd let him play was to showcase him for a trade.

And he's a psycho at practice...he never played in the NHL and whatever the sports experts say, I think that counts for alot. He never knew what the players were going through. Bryan Trottier was someone who checked his blow-ups alot. That's all Hartley did was yell and scream and throw equipment bags.
There's only so much of that (if any) that's effective. The players didn't have alot of respect for him.

And he let the veterans do whatever they want. It was no secret that the real coaches were Sakic and Roy. And it was Ray Bourque who coached the guys into winning the Cup--it was never Bob Hartley, although he's happy to take the credit Denver willingly heaps on him. People here forget how pitifully out-coached he was in Game 7 last year against the Red Wings.
Bowman knew to run a longer line, because when Hartley goes into panic mode, he starts running them shorter and shorter until the veterans are running on empty.

I don't know how much of this makes any sense!! Probably none of it. I suspect though, that the same sort of things will go on in Atlanta.

Elisabeth

Cajun said:
Well for one Roy has been really off his game this year. For a second part they should've never traded Drury because he was clutch when needed. Third even though I like him Tanguay is producing really lousy numbers again.

LOL, I wanted to say Roy! But I was afraid someone would jump me. Yay, someone also from Colorado is admitting it! :p

I can't believe how few people are willing to admit Roy is done. "But he's the greatest of all time!" Yes, he is, but that doesn't make him immortal....!

I think Aebischer could step up, if he just got the playing time.

I wish we still had Drury...I think it was a mistake. I really do not like Derek Morris. If we were going to trade him, I do think we should have gone for a power forward. (Although if anyone mentions Bill Guerin to me again, I will scream!)

Elisabeth

Bill Guerin :tongue:

Roy has not performed as bad as he has this year in I don't know how long. The only way we even make the playoffs now is if somehow Peter, Milan and Joe carry us on their shoulders to like the eigth seed. Then I hate to say it, but I see a first round loss:(

Cajun said:
Bill Guerin :tongue:

Roy has not performed as bad as he has this year in I don't know how long. The only way we even make the playoffs now is if somehow Peter, Milan and Joe carry us on their shoulders to like the eigth seed. Then I hate to say it, but I see a first round loss:(

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

I find it strange how everyone is denying the Roy issue...I don't know why people think it's sacreligious to say that he's probably worn out. It doesn't mean he isn't (or wasn't) a great goalie.

If I was Granato, I would be playing Aebischer more and giving Roy nice long rests. I don't think there's anything wrong or insulting about that. Roy is too proud though. :|

I see a first round loss too. If we get that eighth seed at all.

That was an odd injury--he walked out carrying his crutches! Maybe it is only a minor fracture. He's only supposed to be out 2-4 weeks...

There is a bright side...Forsberg tends to really step up his game when Sakic is out. So between him and Hejduk, maybe we'll be ok.

It would be nice if Tanguay or Vrbata would ignite. Or Reinprecht.

Elisabeth

saw the avs and the blue jackets skate to a 2-2 tie tonight. decent game. wish the jackets would have won though.

I like what I've seen so far from the reborn Thrashers. I don't know if it's Hartley or just a change in the scenery, but the Thrashers are playing some good hockey right now. I went to the Blues game a couple of weeks ago (an 8-4 win) and came away stunned.

I think more than anything he has come in and taught them to play solid fundamental hockey. Even the little things like just keeping your stick on the ice. No straying, no relaxing. Stay where you're supposed to stay and play hard *every* shift. Also, the guys know that if they don't produce (read: make mistakes), they won't get ice time. Philisophically, that may not win you championships (without the necessary talent), but at least it keeps you in games and gives you opportunities to win, which we haven't ever seen here with the Thrashers. Even Kovalchuk seems receptive...

I wonder if Trottier will show up in Atlanta now. I think it's funny what leaks out when coaches are fired and according to Kostya Kennedy, it was Trottier who handled the younger Avalanche--yet Hartley got all the credit.

The Thrashers really are playing well. Me being a Hartley cynic, I give him four years, five tops with the Thrashers before they start holding the sticks too tight and stop producing. Longer if they hire Trottier...but then again, I don't know much about Atlanta's GM. Without a trade-addicted Pierre Lacroix backing up the grudges, a team might do much better under Hartley.

I just don't like the guy, LOL. I could end up eating my words, who knows. And I will admit I'm wrong if the time comes, I swear! :D

Elisabeth

Back
Top Bottom