What else should I listen to???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mango

The Fly
The line on the horizon. Wait! Noooooo!!!...
Now that it looks like the new album won't be out for quite some time, I've decided to take to heart some advice that U2MDfan gave in another forum and "branch out and listen to some other music." I mean, I find that the world seems a bit darker since the news of the album delay and I need something to fill the musical void and prepare for the day when U2 eventually hangs it up.

However, I need some help. I'm not very musically hip. Let me explain my musical tastes, maybe list and rate some of the few albums I do own and you all can make some suggestions as to what bands/albums I should check out.

First of all, let me just say that U2 is by far and away my favorite band. On a scale of 1 to 10 they are a 20. Nobody even comes close. I always have a U2 album in my CD player, but every few weeks I'll put in an album by another band and I'll listen through once or twice before I put a U2 album back in. That said, here are some of albums I own and how much I like them ranked on a scale of 1 to 10:

Radiohead: The Bends = 10
Radiohead: OK Computer = 7
Radiohead: Kid A = 5
Radiohead: Amnesiac = 4

Coldplay: Parachutes = 9
Coldplay: Rush of Blood = 10

DMB: Under The Table = 8
DMB: Crash = 6
DMB: Crowded Streets = 8
DMB: Everyday = 5
DMB: Busted Stuff = 7

Jack Johnson: Brushfire Fairytales = 9
Jack Johnson: On and On = 9

And that's pretty much it. Do you get a sense of my musical tastes? There must be some other good bands/albums out there. Help me out please! (But please don't suggest REM)

RYAN ADAMS!!!!!!!!

Try him!!!!!!!

You won't be disappointed!!!!!

And if you are...then there is obviously something horribly wrong with you. :wink:

Seriously though...you can stream his stuff at his official site. http://www.ryan-adams.com

Bruce Springsteen. I would recommend the Greatest Hits, or Darkness on the Edge of Town:yes:

Bruce Springsteen. I would recommend the Greatest Hits, or Darkness on the Edge of Town

Hmmm, I don't know. I'm looking for something more contemporary, somebody younger. Some up and coming band that will be putting out great stuff for years to come. Somebody like Coldplay, but not Coldplay because I already found out about them. Somebody like Coldplay, but not as well known. You know, I'm sure there are other great young bands out there, but I just haven't heard about them because I'm musically uncool. But at the same time they can't be so unknown that I won't be able to buy the album anywhere.

Oh, one other thing. Maybe someone a bit more rocking than Coldplay. Something along the lines of The Bends.

Last edited:
pearl jam, pearl jam, and more pearl jam!

a lot of people think they've gone downhill, but IMO, they've only gotten better. their newest album "riot act" is simply brilliant!

there is no way i could rank their albums because i love them all equally.

If you can find them, you NEED the following CD's:

Pilate - Caught by the Window
The Joel Plaskett Emergency - Truthfully Truthfully

Although I suppose they'd only be available in Canada. :(

Bonochick said:
RYAN ADAMS!!!!!!!!

Try him!!!!!!!

You won't be disappointed!!!!!

And if you are...then there is obviously something horribly wrong with you. :wink:

Seriously though...you can stream his stuff at his official site. http://www.ryan-adams.com

He's ok, I've developed a soft spot for him, more because my old college roommate is a fan and i listen to him out of nostalgia. I used to hate him back then :lol:

you should listen to the clash

no it doesn't "fit" your tastes, but it doesn't sound like you listen to much of anything, so there's very little to go on.

and besides, it won't kill you to broaden your musical taste just a little bit further than listening to a dozen other bands that sound like the ones you already know.

REM would be my first choice. Lots and lots of great innovative music. They have recently released a greatest hits cd (I don't have it yet). This might be a good place to start.

...off the top of my head:

Starsailor -- Silence Is Easy

Idlewild. I would go with the most recent album, The Remote Part, first.

Turin Brakes -- The Optimist LP

The Delgados -- Hate

Ed Harcourt -- From Every Sphere

I'll throw in a Bono recommendation. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is really good. Decied to check them out and in the end I bought both of their albums. Their latest Take Them on Your Own is the better of the two though thier debut album is also very good.

A really great album to pick up that I think you'll like is Everything Must Go, by the Manic Street Preachers. Not as dark as their earlier stuff (though their dark masterpiece The Holy Bible remains one of my fabourite albums), this album is solid Brit Rock. If You;re interested some songs to check out that you'd be likely to find on kazaa would be A Design For Life, Kevin Carter, Australia and the title track (basically the singles). It's not too old it came out in '96 and still sounds really fresh.

The Young Dubliners are a pretty good band live.

One of their songs in used on a Killian's Irish Red beer ad. They play a lot of Irish festivals, I got a Cd signed by them too, nice guys.

Travis I know someone said it already, but give it a try. My favorite Travis album was once "The Invisible Band" but now I love them all. "The Man Who" is equally good.
I'm glad to see you like Jack Johnson :D
IWasBored is right about the Clash.
Pearl Jam is awesome, but I prefer them live, so I only listen to their official bootlegs.

Yep, I'll second Idlewild, Doves, Ryan Adams, Travis and will add Feeder(Comfort in Sound),
The Stills(Logic Will Break your Heart)
and Ash(Free All Angels).

Doves
Elbow
Franz Ferdinand (they hopefully gonna be biiiiiig)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (not new, but 12 albums of material ready to explore.. dark romantic, gothic sorta balladish sometimes creepy and menacing, sometimes aching and wonderful kinda music)

www.allmusic.com is a good place to look around and learn about music and read reviews.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! Based on the bands that have been recommended more than once, I think I'll start with Ryan Adams, Travis, Doves, and Idlewild and see how it goes from there.

Oh and maybe the Clash too. I admit I do need to broaden my musical tastes. What are the Clash like?

What are the Clash like?

i can't actually answer this question without being a condescending asshole. just go buy 'london calling' right now.

SkeeK said:

Franz Ferdinand (they hopefully gonna be biiiiiig)

They're already getting there here. I wanted to see them at T in the Park last summer, but didn't because they conflicted with someone else. Now they're touring, but the tour sold out really quickly. :sigh:

IWasBored said:

i can't actually answer this question without being a condescending asshole. just go buy 'london calling' right now.

Haha, can you answer any question without doing that?? :wink:

I'll second the buying London Calling comment though. I'll also second Idlewild. From the bands you mentioned, I pretty much think you will almost definitely like Travis, Doves, Idlewild, etc. They're all pretty much in the same vein.

If you want to try something in a different vein though, look towards my avatar :wink:

u2popmofo said:

Haha, can you answer any question without doing that?? :wink:

good point :p

oh and since i haven't already echoed everyone's endorsement of idlewild, i shall second it as well. speaking of which, i still really need to buy the remote part.

meegannie said:

They're already getting there here. I wanted to see them at T in the Park last summer, but didn't because they conflicted with someone else. Now they're touring, but the tour sold out really quickly. :sigh:

They're at this year's T. Already got my ticket:hyper:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom