What else are you listening to? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:57 PM
What else are you listening to?

I have really inspired lately to listen to as much new music as I can. Part of this is the anticipation of the new album, but also I feel like my apathy towards pop music world is starting to thaw. In recent weeks I have discovered some artists and some albums that I really love. In many ways, these and others have always been there, but I have searched them out. There is something uniquely rewarding about finding something new or even new to you. I would like to start an ongoing discussion about what else is inspiring you or finding its way into your CD player. So here, informally, and in no order are some artists and CD's that I think the rest of you should check out.

Known about for a while, and love:

1. Matthew Good: Formerly of the Matthew Good Band, a Vancouver artist that may be my second favorite artist next to U2. Check out the following albums: Avalanche, Beautiful Midnight, Audio of Being.

2. Chris Cornell, Euphoria Morning: Try this solo album out for size. A brief insight into post soundgarden-pre audioslave Chris Cornell, perhaps my favorite of his work.

3. Aimee Mann, Lost in Space: This is a phenomenal album.

Just discovered:

1. Butterfly Boucher, Flutterby: Hands down the best album I have bought in years.

2. Charlie Mars: Check this guy out..many comparisons to Bono.

Please feel free to list things that have inspired you. I am looking to expand my horizons, I feel reinvigorated.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:57 PM
wilco- a ghost is born (the world's second best band) everything they do is great, but listening to this the most right now.

joseph arthur- kind of rediscoverd this guy recently. saw him open for wilco the other night, and it was amazing.

blues explosion- formerly john spencer blues explosion, new album is their best imo.

my morning jacket- all their cd's, especially like the live acoustic stuff.

that what comes to mind without a lot of thought.

jp

Old 10-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
Refugee

Oldschool stuff, like Stones and beatles, and who

-> Black rebel motorcycle club, thankx to edge!

-> the killers

-> Sam Roberts

i'm sure there are more i'm forgetting!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 PM
cmb737,
I LOVE charlie mars. the first time i heard him i was like WOW if there were a hybrid of willie nelson and bono this kid would be it. he's got great music.

i'm also listening to:
the who, john mellencamp, 311, coldplay
Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
** Cypress Hill
** Dj Muggs' "Dust"
** Rancid
** the cure
** the doors
Old 10-03-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I have been listening to a lot of Killers. I saw them in concert too and I love them. However, I need to broaden my horizens too. I am always one step behind. I like what I've heard of Social Distortion. So I am thinking aboout looking into that group.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2valleygirl
I like what I've heard of Social Distortion. So I am thinking aboout looking into that group.

yes. i fully support this
Old 10-03-2004, 11:11 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wrong thread
Old 10-03-2004, 11:58 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
1. Butterfly Boucher, Flutterby: Hands down the best album I have bought in years.
i haven't heard her on album, i saw her open for the barenaked ladies last february and she was terrible.

"else" as in "not u2"? if that's the case, than "else" is all i've been listening to for a while now.

this broad category of "else" includes a wide variety of better-known, warped tour-headling punk rock bands (not of the emo-like pop-punk variety, i assure you) to obscure street punk/oi/hardcore bands from anywhere from boston, MA to chicago, IL to austin, TX. bands still around, as well as bands long broken up.

currently suffering severe post-concert withdrawl relating to the following bands:
street dogs (boston, MA) (see avatar? yeah...)
the briggs (los angeles, CA)
flogging molly (from CA as well)

impatiently waiting for my new ducky boys album to arrive in the mail. tiding myself over with the mp3s that used to be on the site, and the one on the thorp records site titled 'boston, USA' http://www.thorprecords.com/mp3s/index.php

also impatiently waiting for/worrying about my bruisers re-release that hasn't shown up yet.

re-discovering as well as discovering some of the stuff i missed, various rob and/or mark lind projects:
blood for blood
sinners & saints
ramallah
dirty water
ducky boys

some kick ass bands from chicago with downloadable music on their sites:
-the sharky doyles http://www.sharkydoyles.com (some irish influenced punk rock/oi. a little bit different from flogging molly, but if you're a fan of them, i don't think that you'll be too disappointed)
-squared off http://www.squaredoff.com/ (working class street rock n roll)
-flat foot 56 http://www.flatfoot56.com (reccomended if you like the real mckenzies, or when the dropkick murphys bring in the bagpipes)

oh, and i really, really like reverend horton heat.

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
wrong thread
hehehe
Old 10-04-2004, 06:18 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I always listen to The Church (the band, not any religious organisation) and Steve Kilbey.

I'm also listening to a lot of the following lately:

Art of Fighting -- adore their first album Wires and recently got their second release Second Storey. Both are quite wonderful. I love the kind of slow build up their music has.

Gersey -- again I have a couple of their releases -- their first full length cd, Hope Springs and their next Storms Dressed As Stars. Again, kinda on the slowcore side, but just intoxicating music.

Also listening to Hex, Stephen Cummings, Remy Zero, Sleepwell, Isidore (adore Isidore!!), and Soma.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:54 AM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Aimee Mann is great. I was obsessed about her music when I saw Magnolia.

I have recently re-found Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Maybe because Nick Cave had concert in Finland but I couldn't go because all the tickets of the tree shows were sold out.
I bought Nocturama and I like it. I've also heard some stuff from the new album and I like Nature Boy.

I've also discovered Maroon 5. They have some great songs. My fave is Secret.

I've also been listening a lot of my old casettes and movie soundtracks. I found old tape from band called Shampoo. Kind of good music. Sadly the tape is a bit worn out so the sound quality is not the best (on the B-side).
Of movie soundtracks my current faves are Trainspotting and Intermission.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
Refugee

Re: What else are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally posted by cmb737
I have really inspired lately to listen to as much new music as I can. Part of this is the anticipation of the new album, but also I feel like my apathy towards pop music world is starting to thaw. In recent weeks I have discovered some artists and some albums that I really love. In many ways, these and others have always been there, but I have searched them out. There is something uniquely rewarding about finding something new or even new to you. I would like to start an ongoing discussion about what else is inspiring you or finding its way into your CD player. So here, informally, and in no order are some artists and CD's that I think the rest of you should check out.

Known about for a while, and love:

1. Matthew Good: Formerly of the Matthew Good Band, a Vancouver artist that may be my second favorite artist next to U2. Check out the following albums: Avalanche, Beautiful Midnight, Audio of Being.

2. Chris Cornell, Euphoria Morning: Try this solo album out for size. A brief insight into post soundgarden-pre audioslave Chris Cornell, perhaps my favorite of his work.

3. Aimee Mann, Lost in Space: This is a phenomenal album.

Just discovered:

2. Charlie Mars: Check this guy out..many comparisons to Bono.

Please feel free to list things that have inspired you. I am looking to expand my horizons, I feel reinvigorated.

I live in Vancouver and it is cool that you're listening to the Matt Good band, didn't think people in the states even heard of the dude.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #13
Refugee

I have been making my own compilations lately from CD's that I have owned. Been tired of radio lately. I have been listening to a lot of the songs on the Donnie Darko soundstrack (film score) and burnt some songs that were in the movie like The Church, Echo and The BuNNY men etc.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 PM
the one & only nick cave
Old 10-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Mostly the Replacements & Paul Westerberg's solo stuff at the moment.