What doth thou think of Winamp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just downloaded it to compare to window's media player and they're both pretty different from the looks of it...

I don't get how to work the internet radio and things on Winamp. And the visuals are quite trippy. But it does have quite a spiffy design and I downloaded a Bono Vertigo skin for it which is cool.

However

Windows media player is pretty straightforward with the radio tuner as well as video player. And it's definately more user friendly also.

It seems what one lacks the other makes up for:shrug:

What do you all think?

Last edited:
WinAmp's awesome. I didn't know anyone actually still used Windows Media Player.

i like winamp. i like itunes better, but winamp is good. windows media player is evil. so is realplayer.

IWasBored said:
i like winamp. i like itunes better, but winamp is good. windows media player is evil. so is realplayer.

RealPlayer is so bad that it makes WMP look worthwhile.

Winamp is definetly a lot better.

It doesn't clutter your whole screen. Just a simple player, and a playlist. That's all you need.

winamp is great for advanced stuff, but itunes is by far the easiest, and it has some awesome sharing options, and of course you have the music store at your disposal - apple.com/itunes.

Windows Media Player is the worst thing ever made, don't be caught using it or you might lose all credibilty as a computer user or as a person in general.
seriously, if you need to open up something thats .wmv you can at least use VLC player.

I used Winamp religiously for years, then I got iTunes...I'd reccomend you just download that. You have everything there in front of you and sorting everything by name/album/etc. just turns it into the most useful thing, musically, on your computer. Whenever I use winamp now it's just a pain having to open things one at a time or find everything to make a playlist from scratch...

I use Winamp for playing music - great for plugins ( flac,shn...) and ArialCDRipper for conversion between formats.

gareth brown said:
I used Winamp religiously for years, then I got iTunes...I'd reccomend you just download that. You have everything there in front of you and sorting everything by name/album/etc. just turns it into the most useful thing, musically, on your computer. Whenever I use winamp now it's just a pain having to open things one at a time or find everything to make a playlist from scratch...

See, that's one reason why I don't want iTunes - I don't want a program to organise or sort my files, I have my own archiving methods on my hard drive that I don't wish to change. I love WinAmp because I can just whack everything I want onto a playlist and then I have both that playlist and all the controls I need in front of me in a simple interface that doesn't cause clutter.

I use both.. I tunes to organize my files and rip Cds.. and Winamp to play them.

I don't like the big ol Itunes program on my screen.. I just like the little Winamp Icon in the bottom corner, and the small sleek playlist and interface.

I have a question. Right now I'm using foobar2000 to listen to music and various other programs to watch video - Winamp plays video, right? anyway, I'm thinking of switching to Winamp for everything, but does it use a lot of resources? whenever I use iTunes it uses tons of memory and is generally very slow, and foobar is exactly the opposite. how much space/memory does Winamp take up?

alia612 said:
I have a question. Right now I'm using foobar2000 to listen to music and various other programs to watch video - Winamp plays video, right? anyway, I'm thinking of switching to Winamp for everything, but does it use a lot of resources? whenever I use iTunes it uses tons of memory and is generally very slow, and foobar is exactly the opposite. how much space/memory does Winamp take up?

Yeah WinAmp plays video..You can even watch internet tv on it which is pretty cool. My WinAmp application was about 4.93 MB. You can choose the type of installation you want though; like full, custom etc. So far it hasn't slowed my system down any so should it be ok.

I use Winamp since I have memory (or internet)

I don't know how to use iTunes lol :( I have it, but it's just using space in my hardrive

IWasBored said:

Real Player is actually better than Windows Media Player, but only slightly. It was designed and should be used only to play live/streaming video. Windows Media Player on the other hand has no specialties (expect creating dumb filenames like .wmv), and it tries to do everything and does a crappy job doing it.

I have every file on my computer all on one winamp playlist - works fine for me . Then i've got everything accessible , but of course for a lot of programs my archive would be screwed up , my U2 stuff for instance is sorted out By

1) Albums
2) A - Side Edits
3) B Sides
4) Unreleased and Rare [I Tunes]
5) Unreleased in Any Form Songs
6) Salome
7) UF / War Demos
8) Contract Demos
9) U2 Covers (By Others
10) Concerts by Date
There is no way an alpabetical sort would give that

Axver said:

See, that's one reason why I don't want iTunes - I don't want a program to organise or sort my files, I have my own archiving methods on my hard drive that I don't wish to change. I love WinAmp because I can just whack everything I want onto a playlist and then I have both that playlist and all the controls I need in front of me in a simple interface that doesn't cause clutter.

There's def a way to set iTunes up where it doesn't move everything to an iTunes folder, I used to have it that way but then I got sick of it.

Back
Top Bottom