What does Robin Williams need to do to resurrect his career?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
His last few films (Man of the Year, RV, License to Wed) have taken a fair battering from the critics, one of ours described him as "badly out of form and touch".

So what can the man who was in classics such as Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poet's Society, etc do to save gis fledging career?

Because he is a very funny man and I happen to appreciate him a lot.

Honestly? I think he should stick with the dramatic roles like he played recently in One Hour Photo and Insomnia. He does really well in them (and plays creepy really well). They might not make the most money, but does he really need money at this point in his career? He should go for the critical respect factor to get his career back on track ... or just to stop making people cringe and change the channel when his name is mentioned.

I can't stand his manic appearances on talk shows and the like, and I cannot stand to even attempt to sit through any of his recent stuff like RV or Man of the Year.

I used to find him very funny, but nowadays he just comes across to me like a manic attention whore ... ditto Jim Carrey, who should also stick with the lower key stuff (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for example).

I know some people still find him funny, but hey - whatever floats your boat.

He's always gone back and forth between comedic and dramatic roles, and I prefer him in dramatic stuff. Like CoriA said, his best in a while have been dramatic/creepy fucking roles, so he should stick to that.

I also agree with cori and LMP. Robin plays a much better role when he's more serious or creepy. His over-the-top comedy roles just don't work anymore. Mrs. Doubtfire is a classic, but his comedic roles these days can almost border on obnoxious.

Now I'm curious about One Hour Photo thanks to you guys! :wink:

As for his comedy, I never found the guy THAT funny to start with. :slant:

I agree he should do more dramatic roles (he was also amazing in What Dreams May Come). I think he has the talent for it. An occasionally funny and well written comedy is fine, but it gets old after a while.

corianderstem said:
Honestly? I think he should stick with the dramatic roles like he played recently in One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

I used to find him very funny, but nowadays he just comes across to me like a manic attention whore ... ditto Jim Carrey, who should also stick with the lower key stuff (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for example).

I agree -- he was awesome in One Hour Photo and Insomnia. And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was great!

the thing with Dead Man's Society, Good Morning Vietnam and Mrs Doubtfire is that those roles WEREN'T comedy roles. but dramatic ones that he could twist at times and make them funny, but still, in the core, the emotions ran high on those films...

my point is that Robin Williams (or Bono 2) shouldn't do COMEDIES... the guy clearly is intense, but a full blown comedy doesn't work for him... and if he lands in those movies, to doit in some sort of suporting role, like Nine Months... he was HYSTERICALL in that movie...

those comedies are for guys you feel comfortable laughing at, like Adam Sandler, Steve Carell or Will Ferrel... and when he started, Jim Carrey

but with Jim and Robin, they're above that, you don't want to laugh at them, but with them... and there's your problem

corianderstem said:

I can't stand his manic appearances on talk shows and the like

Me too.

He's extremely over the top and very twitchy. I saw him on Larry King a couple of months ago and after the first segment, had to change the channel. He was honestly making me nervous and agitated. It was both his sudden movements and his irritating tone of voice, and it all felt like he was just trying way too hard.

Utoo said:
be selective about roles.....period.

:up:

His laid-back dramatic performances are so great, especially Good Will Hunting and dare I say, Bicentennial Man.

I've yet to see The Fisher King, but it's Terry Gilliam, so I expect it to be fucked up and great at the same time.

pepokiss said:
the thing with Dead Man's Society, Good Morning Vietnam and Mrs Doubtfire is that those roles WEREN'T comedy roles. but dramatic ones that he could twist at times and make them funny, but still, in the core, the emotions ran high on those films...

Yeah that's pretty true actually. I spose his latest efforts have been more focused towards actual full-blown comedies, whereas those films were 'dramas' per se, but he weaved good comedy in them to lighten them up.

And I agree about the interviews. He was here for Rove and he was just annoying. It's like he's gone all senile and neurotic.

And LMP, I was gonna mention Bicentennial Man as well, but I was too scared. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom