What does it cost to live in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
Sean, seriously, consider Australia, dude. The cost of living in the US is insane and out dollar is fairly comparable currently.
:slant:

And to think I looked at most of the American dollar figures and thought what a bargain!

Thanks everyone for your replies. sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I was in Palau for the last five days and well . . .you've seen Survivor. . .the internet access is pretty spotty. :lol:

I will write more and ask a few more questions later. The power is going to go out in three minutes so I have to hurry up and finish using the computer.

Re: Re: What does it cost to live in America?

Liesje said:
West Michigan is INSANELY CHEAP for housing. On the other hand, we have the worst housing market, unemployment, and economy in the entire country.

This is what Phil and I pay. No kids, 5 animals (I'm not including their costs of food). I pay everything but Phil's phone and car insurance (he works part time to cover those two bills). I make less than the national average and I think we live comfortably. We have less than a month's cost in savings, but no car payments or credit card debt. About 100K in student debt, which I pay $440/mo on (just my loans, Phil's are in deferment).

Food: $250/mo??
Gas: for cars? $3.70 yesterday
Rent/Mortgage Payment: rent - $625/mo (refundable deposit $1025)
Car Payment: none, we drive junkers worth less than $2000 together
Car Insurance: about $100/mo for 2 cars on PLPD, this includes our renter's insurance
Utilities: electricity averages $60/mo and gas is like $120 in the winter and $40 or less in the summer
Phone/Internet: Internet and cable bundle is $66/mo, no phone
Cell Phone: Phil's is $40, mine is free b/c it's a work phone
Baby Expenses (Diapers et al): n/a
Clothing: maybe $25/mo when averaged out. I bought a lot of new clothes recently b/c of weight loss but I don't shop high-end

I don't know that I could bear those West Michigan winters again. Six years was long enough!

beegee said:

When I was "newly single" I went about six years without health insurance :hug:

I don't think I had health insurance until I moved to Saipan and got it through my job. We grew up without health insurance.

Angela Harlem said:
Sean, seriously, consider Australia, dude. The cost of living in the US is insane and out dollar is fairly comparable currently.
:slant:

Oh, and you'd also have your baby for free here and get a nice little $5k bonus payment for your wife's um.. labours. lol.

You know, we just very well might. Though it wouldn't be for another year or two though.

Here in Southpark, where the cost of living is pretty low:

Food: $125 a week, thats buying groceries and cooking most of the time, taking your lunch to work, but still eating out 3-4 times a week.
Gas: I fill both cars up every two weeks so i would say its probably $70 ( 2 cars every 2 weeks, one car is rated 18/26 city/HWY the other 24/32)
Rent/Mortgage Payment: $900 roughly for 1800 square foot home in good shape in nice neighborhood, probably cost the same to rent similiar house
Car Payment: $875 a month for two cars, one premium sports car the other an economy car both cars late models.
Car Insurance: $1500 a year w/ good driving record (again 2 vehicles)
Utilities: $150 month average
Phone/Internet: $130 a month
Cell Phone: Pay as you GO phone, i pay $50 every three months!
Baby Expenses : i have no idea (sorry)
Clothing: $3-400 a year i guess

Mrs. Garrison said:
Here in Southpark, where the cost of living is pretty low:

Car Payment: $875 a month for two cars, one premium sports car the other an economy car both cars late models.
Car Insurance: $1500 a year w/ good driving record (again 2 vehicles)

:ohmy:

This is for New Hampshire. I used to live in Massachusetts and have found NH to NOT be much cheaper.

Food: $125/week AT LEAST
Gas: $70/week
Rent/Mortgage Payment: $750/month
Car Payment: $284/month for one car, other is paid off
Car Insurance: $300/quarterly
Utilities: $70/month currently
Phone/Internet: $35/month
Cell Phone: $90/month for 2 phones
Baby Expenses (Diapers et al): N/A
Clothing: I have been naughty lately. Probably $200/month

There are about a zillion other bills....I think they all come to $2300/month or so.

Maybe I should explain that the clothing budget is for the baby.

We've never had a clothing budget for ourselves.

But I figure this kid will be constantly growing out of whatever we buy him.

anitram said:

And to think I looked at most of the American dollar figures and thought what a bargain!

So did I and I live here wow :(

even with health insurance medical costs are into the thousands for me at the moment. and double most of those rents.

If Australia is an option i say go for it

US costs can vary very significantly from state to state - especially rent.

Outside of places like Manhattan and similarly expensive areas, the US is not a particularly expensive place in which to live by the standards of developed economies.

Looking at the thread I was amazed by how low most peoples clothing bills were - then I realised I had forgotten clothing in the US is actually quite cheap. I'd reckon I've spent on average €125 a month on clothes in the last two years and I don't consider myself extravagant.

Having visited Australia, I find the concept that that country has a cheap cost of living compared to the US is news to me. Admittedly my experience is largely based on large cities in Australia.

Last edited:
financeguy said:
Having visited Australia, I find the concept that that country has a cheap cost of living compared to the US is news to me. Admittedly my experience is largely based on large cities in Australia.

I should clarify that my experience is based on suburbia as the city really is a heck of a lot more expensive, and then each capital is different again. The biggest obvious difference is health care and car costs. I think the US has unbelievably low housing prices, however.

Totally. $200,000 in Seattle might buy you a studio condo in a desirable neighborhood, maybe a 1-bedroom condo in a less desirable neighborhood.

In my hometown in Wisconsin, that would probably buy you a big 'ol four-bedroom home with two floors. And a giant yard.

Back
Top Bottom