What do you Like to read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Out of Control

The Fly
This may have been discussed in the past, but I'm new here. I enjoy reading anything by stephen king and John Grisham. I'm also into autobiographys and biographys, especially about rock bands. "Aerosmith:Walk this Way", "Motley Crue:The Dirt" and "Led Zeppelin: Stairway to Heaven" were great.
Can anyone recommend any good books?

I like mysteries. I really enjoy books by Anne Perry. They are set in Victorian England, but they are not the usual sappy romantic type books like many of books that are set in that time period.

I'm a HUGE fan of escapism so I will read Lord of the Rings every year until the day I die.

It is not cheese fantasy with a muscle bound hero and scandly clad mistress.
After an hour of reading this book you will start to believe you are reading history. You'll forget where time has gone.

Also good for this purpose:
George R. Martin: Song of Ice and Fire(very graphic!)
Robert Jordan(wheel of time)

George Orwell is also awesome.
If you haven't read 1984 you simply must do so! It is sooo very interesting!

William Goulding.
I think we've probably all read Lord of the Flies. This is the first book to really captivate me in high school.

Timothy Findley
Master of historical fiction.
read Famous Last Words or Wars. Especially in the former, you'll be unable to see where fiction ends and reality begins and vise versa.

Being a history hons I must also recommend both John Keegan and Paul Fussel.
The Face of Battle(Keegan) is a detailed, graphic, and stirring account of trench warfare.
Great War and Modern memory(Fussell) holds one of my favorite quotes ever!

Irony is the attendant of hope and hope is the fuel of innocence

I read fiction (scifi, fantasy, etc.) the most, but I also read nonfiction. I am currently reading..

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
Salman Rushdie's The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Ted L. Nancy's More Letters From a Nut (HILARIOUS book. rereading it actually -- recommended to anyone who enjoyed the Lazslo Letters)
David Sedaris's Holidays On Ice

There is a couple more, but I forget what they were. lol.

(ooh.. my 1900th post.. :D)

i tend to be a bit add (not clinically or anything) so i like horror and mystery books cause they keep me entertained. having said that, some of my favorite books i actually read for school. so here's what i like:

*stephen king (esp the gunslinger books, although i'm only through 1.5 of them...)
*any horror/mystery book really
*crime and punishment
*a tree grows in brooklyn
*tell no one (some random drug store book i picked up for spring break, and ended up loving)

yeah...so...that's it...

Well... I am pretty sure you won't be interested in the type's of books I read.... I can't really get into fiction much. I really like biography's of historical people. Love WWII spy non-fiction, historian books and all russian and soviet literature. My favourite book is Crime and Punishment and I am currently reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, so if any of that sounds like something you'd be interested in, than I'll be happy to recommend more.
I am indeed a strange one.

i like dark books. really existentialist kind of stuff.

top three:

catcher in the rye

crime and punishment

the trial

presently i'm reading the screwtape letters.

Hi!!! I?m new here too, and i love to read. Now I?m in the second book about Ireland... very good, but the first was wonderful... i really recommend:
Trinity, of Leon Uris.
It is about the history of this beautiful country (my second country:p ... but is a history told with a fictional romance. Very good to read, and tell us a lot about Ireland and Irish...
I hope you like... Bye

Lilly said:
i like dark books. really existentialist kind of stuff.

top three:

catcher in the rye

presently i'm reading the screwtape letters.

Love that book, my friend read it in school this year. I read Frankenstein and Dracula good wee reads :up:

Im also gonna start reading To Kill A Mockingbird soon

I LOVE the Adrian Mole diaries by Sue Townsend-very funny wee books

Oh oh I love Orwell-Animal Farm, 1984 :D

If you like plays I think Waiting for Goddot -Samuel Becket is a good play

Oh and Brian Friel i really like him...I love Translations..a great play by him....ive had to read it 2 times to understand it all but its a great read..

Ok im done now :D

I like to read the back of cereal boxes actually, when they are really exciting.

A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters, by Julian Barnes. One of the best novels (if you can even call it that) I've read. Comes highly recommended by me and fellow interferencer TylerDurden :)

That's all.

foray

I just picked up Theodore Rex, Elizabeth CEO, and Basic Economics.

The Trial's a sweet book... if ya like that stuff.. you can't almost help but laugh, cuz that guy's so fucked.. in general.

L.Unplugged

Last edited:
Here are a few of my favorites: :)

Possession by A.S. Byatt
White Noise by Don DeLillo
Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Bill Bryson is great if you like travel literature...
Oh and Brian Friel i really like him...I love Translations..a great play by him....ive had to read it 2 times to understand it all but its a great read..
I second this one! :yes:

Basstrap said:

Robert Jordan(wheel of time)

I was reading this series about eight or nine years ago, but stopped in the middle of The Shadow Rising because I got so bored with all the Perin in Two Rivers stuff. I was ready to through the book against the wall if I had to read one more line about his hairy, "goat-like" legs. :rolleyes: I've bought all of them except the last one (Winter something?), but I keep getting stuck in the same place every time I've tried to re-read them (the last time was about four years ago). Do they get better after The Shadow Rising? :confused:

I like literary classics (Janey Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier are two of my favorites). I also love Flannery O'Connor and William Faulkner.

microserfs by douglas coupland(pretty much everything else he has written)
mcluhan, schiller, gilder, mosco are a few great social/technological theorists that i am always reading(i am even in contact with one of them..but 2 of them have passed so it's not that impressive;))

-DOUGLAS ADAMS:
His four part series:
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, The Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish
also
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

-J.R.R Tolkien:
LOTRs trilogy

-ROBERT JORDON:
Wheel of Time series (I only got to Book V. 'The Fires of Heaven' I have not read the VI, VII or VIII ones)

HENRY ROLLINS:
Black Coffee Blues

That is all I can think of at the moment. More may follow.

It only took 2 min for me to remember some more.

-JOSEPH CONRAD:
Heart of Darkness

-EURIPIDES: (He sympathized with women. Not really a feminists per say but some writings kind of leaned that way. You will have to read it to understand what I mean. The first story 'Alcestis' is a good example.)

Alcestis
Andromache
Bacchae
Cyclops
Electra
Hecuba
Helen
Heracles
Heraclidae
Hippolytus
Ion
Iphigeneia in Aulis
Iphigeneia in Taurus
Medea
Orestes
Phoenician Women
Rhesus
Suppliants
Trojan Women

More may follow again.

Last edited:
Generally anything that comes to hands, but I have some favourites I suppose...

- Harry Potter Series (esp. Books 2 & 3)
- LOTR
- anything by Iain Banks, extremely weird and imaginative, if slightly disturbing at time... (best: The Wasp Factory, Whit, and Complicity)
- William Boyd (only read Armadillo and the Blue Afternoon, but both excellent, especially the first)
- Lawrence Block- my favourite crime writer really, havent read anything of his, but I'm when I'm stuck for something I'll go back to him, especially like the Matt Scudder mysteries.

The last few books I've read:
LOTR (2nd time)
William Boyd - Armadillo (2nd time)
Penelope Fitzgerald - The Blue Flower (intriguing but somewhat difficult to read I found, worth the effort though)
and currently...Ian McEwan - Atonement (excellent from what I've read so far, and I'm nearly finished...)

Happy Reading :)

Here are some of my favourites:

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
World War I and European Society: A Sourcebook
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
The Long Fuse : An Interpretation of the Origins of World War I by Laurence Lafore

Oh yeah!!
I have an interview at chapters tomorrow!
everyone wish me luck,
God knows I need this job! Im hungry and poor
and there are wolves after me :no:

ghetofabu said:
--EURIPIDES: (He sympathized with women. Not really a feminists per say but some writings kind of leaned that way. You will have to read it to understand what I mean. The first story 'Alcestis' is a good example.)

Didn't Euripides also write Antigone ... I love that play!

Good luck Bass!!!:yes:

I would like to add my favorite series...the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, and Fiery Cross). Unfortunately they are usually shelved in the Romance section of the bookstore, when in actuality they are historical/adventure fiction that just happen to be told from the feminine point of view. If you like Scotland, great writing, true-to-life characters, and opinionated heriones, I would recommend you check them out. :D

My favourite author is Piers Anthony. I've read 2 series' by him: The Incarnations of Immortality and Xanth.

Marilyn Manson's bio was great!

Invitation to the Game (I cant remember the author)

The Giver (again I cant remember the author)

Back
Top Bottom