What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
just wondering what most interferencers do for a living.

i'll start:

i work in anaheim at the disneyland resort in room reservations. i book hotel stays for the three hotels (Disney's Grand Californian Hotel, Disneyland Hotel, and Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel) at the disneyland resort.

the pros: i get to go to disneyland for free. at anytime. sometimes i get major discounts at the hotels, and i get free tixs to other theme parks, baseball games, hockey games, anything they're associatied with, when given the opportunity.

the cons: i work too much. i am hardly home, with the exception of today, where they scheduled too many people. they are really strict with the scheduling. very by the book in most cases. but i do enjoy working there.

what about you?

English interpreter.

The pros: you get to meet lots of interesting people and learn an awful lot about a broad variety of subjects.

The cons: sometimes you are swamped with work and some other time there's nothing at all going on.

Real Estate......

Pros: Sociable job, meet lots of interesting people

Cons: Commission only; That sucks

Safety Engineer on the north slope of Alaska.

Cons: It can be cold (-5F right now). I am away from home for two weeks at a time.

Pros: I am home for two weeks at a time with no strings attached. I can live anywhere I would like to, preferrably a direct flight away from Anchorage. (Currently in Utah)

ooh, this will bring me out of the woodwork. I need to post more.

I am actually a student, but I have a job doing this, and I'm studying to be a better paid...

archaeologist

pros: It sounds impressive and is something I can say I'm proud of. When you're in the field you get a nice tan and some good digging muscles. Lots of variation. Well, sometimes.

cons: Poison ivy, ticks, chiggers, and all sorts of outdoor hazards. If you're in the field more than the standard 2-3 months a year, it's bad for your skin. Lab and curation work can be very, very tedious. Not much money involved. Not a good job for anyone who doesn't like bugs or dirt.

Self employed co-owner of an insurance investigation business

Pros:

I make my own hours
I can take a vacation pretty much whenever I want
I work at home so I can work in my pj's all day if I want
No boss looking over my shoulder
Provides an excellent income
Wonderful, very loyal clients
Interesting cases

Cons:

I have no set hours, meaning I sometimes have to work nights and weekends if there's a deadline to meet
If a report is late or I screw up an invoice, there is no one else to blame
High taxes
If work is slow, our income can drop drastically
Some portions of my job are boring, repetitive and tedious
People are sometimes very snotty when their claims aren't paid with no questions asked and we still have be nice to them.
Dealing with cases involving death or small kids being hurt or killed is really hard, especially when dealing with their family members.

anthropologist/college professor

cons: grading sucks :madspit:
pros: tons of travel, summers off or free for research, mostly great students, frequent nudity in subject matter :wink:

Bono's American Wife said:
Dealing with cases involving death or small kids being hurt or killed is really hard, especially when dealing with their family members.

:sad:
That just hit to close to home.

Once upon a time I worked as a teachers aide in Costa Mesa at a daycare where a man decided one day (May 3, 1999) to drive his 1969 Cadillac into our sand yard while it was filled with preschoolers and kindergarteners.
I had a group of children with me at the swing set when he tore through the chain link fence. He struck five of us killing two......a girl and a boy. Another boy and girl were injured as was I.

Right now I'm a student (Fashion Design). I will be done with school this coming January. Then I'm going to follow where my heart really is and
continue college to become a teacher. :)

legal researcher with the federal government

(waiting for my dream job in international human rights)

pros: great pay, government hours

con: it's just not my dream job (but it will help me get there)

Legal Assistant, Immigration

Pros: Pretty interesting work, I live 5 blocks from work, I have have the.best.boss.ever. (obviously huh since I'm on here all day long during work hours :wink: )

Cons: I should be getting paid more, and I probably could if I went to look for another job, but I've been with my boss for 6 years and I feel a sense of loyalty. Probably because she is seriously the best boss ever. I dont hate going to work in the mornings.

transaction coordinator for a general equipment leasing company.

I love my job. It's excellent pay and a great location to everything. It's very stressful and chaotic at times but it's also a lot of fun.

The only thing I don't like is the benefits aren't that great. The health insurance is the worst I've ever had and they dont' give us a lot of time off compared to other companies I've worked for.

i'm a student right now, but i work security in the dorms here. i sit at a desk and check people's ID cards, register their guests, and tell drunk people to fuck off.

pros: i can do homework while i'm sitting at the desk. uh...i make money.

cons: i hate college kids. the majority of them are spoiled bratty rich kids. and they like to use the emergency exit doors, thus setting off the alarms.

Legal Billing Assistant

Pros: The people I work with have come to be some of my dearest friends. The work is fairly easy, and it's twenty minutes from home. After being out of work as long (almost an entire year back in 2002) I guess another pro is I'm lucky to have a job at all. My boss is great to work for, too. Very laid back (most of the time!) guy.

Cons: No benefits :huh:, and it's SO not what I want to do with my life.

I'm student, but I write for a magazine

pros: I write about music, that is something I love

cons: I don't get money

karmic_postmark said:

Once upon a time I worked as a teachers aide in Costa Mesa at a daycare where a man decided one day (May 3, 1999) to drive his 1969 Cadillac into our sand yard while it was filled with preschoolers and kindergarteners.
I had a group of children with me at the swing set when he tore through the chain link fence. He struck five of us killing two......a girl and a boy. Another boy and girl were injured as was I.

Right now I'm a student (Fashion Design). I will be done with school this coming January. Then I'm going to follow where my heart really is and

:(

I remember seeing the news footage right after it happened...it was horrible. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be there and see those poor little kids. I can't forget the beautiful little girl, Sierra, from all the pictures of her shown on TV and in the papers. :hug:

Last edited:
karmic_postmark said:

18-years retired police officer; past 16 years as an Insurance accident investigator.

Pros - work when I wanna; extremely high pay..

Cons - Work when I don't wanna; extremely high tax rate..

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:

:(

I remember seeing the news footage right after it happened...it was horrible. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be there and see those poor little kids. I can't forget the beautiful little girl, Sierra, from all the pictures of her shown on TV and in the papers. :hug:

:hug:

Sierra was a very cool little person as was Brandon.
I think about them everyday.

Health Educator for the City of Long Beach Health Department

Pros - I enjoy teaching tenants about Lead Poisoning and keeping their kids safe. And, I also enjoy going out to 4th grade classes teaching the kids how to keep their home environment safe and healthy.

Cons - my time is split between two HUD funded programs, Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes. And, because I have to meet the tenants when they are available, it means working late sometimes and on Saturdays. Also, since both programs are grant funded, my job may end in October 2007.

Sept - May: I'm a full time college student, part time computer HelpDesk technician (20 hrs a week), and a TA for Profs teaching the Research Info Tech courses (an additional 4-17 hrs a week).

end of May - early Sept: I'm a full time computer tech (40 hrs a week, min).

I also babysit and housesit for my rich aunt and uncle who sometimes pay more per hour than both of my other jobs, combined. Sad. When I'm REALLY desperate for cash, I join my boyfriend's shovelling crew and move massive amounts of snow during the wee hrs of the morning (midnight - 7am). That is the worst job ever!

pros: these jobs allow me to be fully independent from my family (I pay all my own tuition, utility bills, food, clothes, rent, fun, pets, transportation, you name it). My tech support job includes a LOT of troubleshooting over the phone (like calling the Dell help hotline kinda thing) so I've had lots of customer service and communications training that will look spiffy on my hypothetical resume.

cons: most people I know my age (20) don't work half as much as I do so I have hardly any time to study or be in any clubs or activities like everyone else. I miss doing gymnastics, a lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom