What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gardener/landscaper

Pros : building nice things from scratch, not falling asleep in a boring office or factory, never working on the same place for longer as two/three weeks. Meeting all kinds of people :up: a lot off vacation/free time

Cons : well when it rains the whole day, it can be the worst job there is. It is hard phisycal work so i think i will be worn out in 15 years after now.

Rono said:
Gardener/landscaper

Pros : building nice things from scratch, not falling asleep in a boring office or factory, never working on the same place for longer as two/three weeks. Meeting all kinds of people :up: a lot off vacation/free time

Cons : well when it rains the whole day, it can be the worst job there is. It is hard phisycal work so i think i will be worn out in 15 years after now.

^also looking for a lateral entry position in Dallas, TX. :up:

c3_06.jpg

:wink:

Biomedical research.

My specialty is Immunology and I primarily work in T-cell research personally (adhesion, chemotaxis, signalling, activation). I've also worked on breast cancer research, and looks like I may be switching to that as my next project after the current work is published (shortly I hope!). Our lab also does leukemia research - AML and ALL, lung cancer and solid tumor research as well as autoimmune disease research.

Pros:

- extremely flexible hours, come and go as you please once experiments are done
- can work in your PJs if you so please
- it's "important" work contributing a lot to the field of science
- personally satisfying
- intellectual work

Cons:

- sometimes erratic hours, as you're slave to your experiments and cells and things have to be timed exactly
- people think there is a lot of glory in cancer research, but there definitely ain't a lot of money
- your job security is grant-dependent

I work in the programming/scheduling department for FOX Sports Net.

Pros: I do something I love with people I like working with, and I get tickets, sometimes fof free, to a lot of sporting events, which pleases me. :) I also get to experiment with different combinations of shows, so it's fun to see if the puzzle I build works well, or if it garners no ratings success.

Cons: Despite it being the TV business, I'm on the corporate side of things, so, I have the usual political crap to wade through, and just the general pressure of never really having long-term security. Nothing unique to my business, many of you experience similar circumstances, surely.

The pros beat the cons in a landslide.

I am a full time mum. 3 kids, 2 dogs and 1 husband.

Pros: 1. I am the boss

2. Lots of time spent with the people I like the most.

3. I feel I am doing my bit to make the world a better place.

4. I love my job.

Cons 1. I work 24 hours, 7 days a week

2. Isolation. Sometimes I feel if I tip my head to the side
my brain will drip out.

3. Lack of understanding from others - "But when are you
going to DO something with your life?"

4. No pay. This choice means we as a family do without a
lot of things other people call necessities. There is food
on the table and the bills are paid, but there isn't much
left for luxuries.

I am happy with my decision. The good things far outweigh the bad, and I get to feel like a rebel everyday! It is no longer the status quo to have your mum at home.

Veterinarian - currently an associate at a practice that sees just cats

Pros:
-get to love kitties all day
-work with a great staff
-never boring (slow time = Interference time ;))
-intellectually stimulating

Cons:
-high risk of bites/scratches
-cases where I have to scrimp on medical care for my patients because the owners say they are 'just a cat' and/or they just don't have the funds to do what is best for the them
-frustration when you have no freaking clue why a pet is sick :sigh:

I work at a really cool gymnastics based company teaching kids lots of basic tumbling, balance beam, vaulting, and bar skills.

Pros: Fun(if you like kids)
You get to see the results of your work
Cute babysitters(sorry livluv)
Field Trips/Birthday Parties- I get to set up all kinds of cool things for these
The parent participation class (18 months to 3 yrs old) Those kids are friggin cute. Well, some of them. :wink:

Cons:
work 6 days a week
one of my bosses complains when she has to work 6 days a week
pay
Lousy Parents

Bartender
Musican
Artist

Pro's: I get my friends drunk
I get paychecks every month from Movies that my music is on
I get to meet interesting people everyday

Cons: The paychecks I get every month from Movie companies are for very little.
The people at the bar get drunk and repeat the same stories that theyve already told you. Sometimes a ghetto crowd that racks up a $ 300 tab and dont tip.

other than that, coolness

Software Engineer ( aspire to become Musician - but thats like a dream - may try some day)

Pros

- Flexible timing - come to office at 9 am , 10 am or 11 am or even 12 noon..no one cares

- I can come to work with a red shirt, yellow shirt...with or without shoes...dresswise..anything goes

- Travel to europe - have made atleast 1 work related trip to europe every year since the last 5 years

Cons

- sometimes lot of work :mad:

DEADMANS PARTY.....what is a GHetto crowd?

im unemployed...i guess im a homemaker....
but since my youngest is 10....time to go out and bag groceries..for next to nothing ; )

Winemaker for a Napa Valley Winery

Pros: Work in a beautiful place, can wear shorts and t-shirt to work, travel to various cities, etc.

Cons: Harvest: From Sept to Nov, you pretty much work everyday.

regulatory affairs analyst for the canadian government in the communications field.

pros: stable job, good pay, copious opportunities for advancement, lots of mobility within my educational domain (communications).

cons: jumping through bureaucratic hoops can be a headache, language requirements of canada's public service are tough for anglophones but I have almost met them-now I just have to pay the bill.

High school student and babysitter

Pros
-As long as I do my work, it's a relatively easy job
-See my friends almost everyday

-Usually I come at about 6 or 7 pm and the kids are asleep by 9 at the latest. All I have to do from then on is sit there and watch TV

Cons
-I'm learning crap that I doubt I'll ever use in the real world. Is anyone ever going to ask me the square root of x when I'm applying for a job?

-I go to an all-girls catholic high school. The dating choices are rather slim.

-Sometimes the kid turns out to be a brat.

i work for the las vegas library district.

pros: in a town full of sexy showgirls i get to say i'm a librarian.

cons: same as above. :|

Back
Top Bottom