What do You Consider to be Your Standout Talents/Abilities/Intelligences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripThruUreWires

I serve MacPhisto
I know there are a lot of diverse, multi-talented, intelligent folk on this board, so I thought I would start a thread whereby members could share and perhaps expound on what they believe to be their personal talents/abilities/"intelligences"?

i use the term "intelligences" because, as a future educator, i've been influenced, in part, by howard gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. He proposed that seven main intelligences can be observed in the human population:

verbal-linguistic
logical-mathamatical
visual-spatial
body-kinesthetic
auditory-musical
interpersonal communication
intrapersonal communication

popular psychologists have also suggested the existence of "sexual intelligence" and "spiritual intelligence" :lol:

In any case, use whatever term or framework you feel comfortable with in responding to this question.

as for me, i'm quite certain my top three greatest "intelligences" or abilities fall into the visual-spatial, body-kinesthetic and verbal-linguistic categories (in no particular order). i've always been involved in and excelled at a variety of sports and, let it be said, 99.9% of the time, i can throw trash into garbage cans from distances up to a mile away. :D :wink: I also relish engaging in the fine arts and have won accolades for my artwork (and passed up a chance to attend mason gross school of the arts on a partial scholarship :( ). I've additionally done quite well for myself in language learning and derive a great deal of satisfaction from writing certain types of composition.

From your list:

logical-mathamatical
visual-spatial

I'm terrible at creative writing and fine arts, but give me a decent set of German-made tools and I can fix anything.

Sicy said:
Um I can dance? :wink:

And you dance great!

from the list:

Visual-spatial - 2d and 3d art are great fun
Logical-Mathematical
body-kinesthetic - Ballroom dancing, SALSA!
auditory-musical - I can't sing to save my life but I have an affinity for musical instruments. Long beach and SF universities were interested in my Sax playing abilities. :wink:

Most of my "intelligences" hover around the arts, so it may be kind of strange to see the mathematical in there but I've never found math to be difficult.

I'd call these my gifts

logical-mathamatical
visual-spatial
verbal-linguistic (I guess, I've become a word smith)
spiritual intelligence

I'll ask my wife about the other one :sexywink:

I'd say the two strongest for me would be Visual-Spatial (photograpy) and Auditory-musical (piano), but also a little logical-mathematical (though I haven't had to use much math beyonds the basics in years).

body-kinesthetic:

This may go slightly off topic..i dont know if this is the answer you are looking for.

But, i love the human body, i admire its beauty and design.
I have a deep appreciation for its form
But i also know that even an attractive body can be holding in alot of mental and physical pain.
Thats where i come in.
I do massage arts and reflexology.
I am not certified as far as schooling goes,
i taught myself (really it just comes naturally) and read many books and have sought knowledge/advice from professionals.
I have this ability to touch some one and 'see' their pain.
Not the physical of it , but the mental of it.
I dont know if that makes any sense.
But when someone is hurting, i truly believe the mind has the power to heal.
With verbal prompting, i am able to touch a person, seek out where the physical pain is and 'talk' them out of it through touch (me touching) and release (the person releasing verbally, the pain they hold in).
Alot of the people i do have no idea i have this abilty untill i start 'telling' them whats wrong.
I have worked on near strangers and have brought many to tears with actually 'telling' them whats 'wrong'
and what problem is preventing them from healing physically and alot of the times, emotionally.
I ask them questions and they are usually spooked that i ask or tell them things that were 'secrets',
or only people close to them would know.
I dont know how i do it, but i have 'freed' so many people from pain and guilt feelings.
I truly accept this as a gift from God...thats why i would never accept money to do what i do.
Though i am looking to becoming certified soon, in massage arts, i know i can help so many people with my ability.
But since i am looking to it as a career, i would keep that and the massage seperate,
unless i really felt that some one needed the release.

I am proud of my abilty to help people, through touch and care.

Also, i am proud of my abilty to communicate openly and fairly with people of all ages.
I guess that would be verbal-linguistic .

u2valleygirl said:
What would cooking fall under, I can cook. I really don't think I have any of those talents.

good question. i just read that "cooking intelligence" "humor intelligence" and "football intelligence" are additoinal categories proposed by others. Do recall that MI is nothing more than a theory--with much criticism attached to it. Perhaps, then, it's more convenient to talk in traditional terms like skill, ability or talent. :shrug:

I definitely know I'm lacking in the logical-mathematical category. (Emphasis on logical.)

Other abilities? I'm pretty sure I can out-walk/out-hike just about anyone. Do I get a medal?

TripThruUreWires said:

good question. i just read that "cooking intelligence" "humor intelligence" and "football intelligence" are additoinal categories proposed by others. Do recall that MI is nothing more than a theory--with much criticism attached to it. Perhaps, then, it's more convenient to talk in traditional terms like skill, ability or talent. :shrug:

Addressing Multiple intelligences when teaching helps reach more students. It's something I try to address every day in my lesson planning. :up: Cooking, humor and sports all fall under one of the 8 basic intelligences.

i think very logically about things but i dont think mathmatical things fall into that (well not complex shit anyways) unless of course i have my good friend, graphics calculator!

My high school math teacher emphasized that math teaches logic.

Guess I would fall into a math-type category. I'd need actually definitions for the 'multiple intelligence' list above to see where I fall :huh: :reject:

angelordevil said:
I definitely know I'm lacking in the logical-mathematical category. (Emphasis on logical.)

Other abilities? I'm pretty sure I can out-walk/out-hike just about anyone. Do I get a medal?

Ooh, out-walking is grand.

I can draw and sort of paint. Or maybe not either of those, but I'll say art anyway.

...And I can moonwalk. What does that count for?

:madspit: dont speak til you've seen me do it, baby! no really, im still not sure if it's embarrassing or a neat party trick. must do it whilst sober one day.
:hmm:

:angry:

i thought you were referring to actual moon walking, you know...as in, walking on the moon.

Stop deceiving me, Angie, it is funny no more!!!

TripThruUreWires said:
body-kinesthetic
auditory-musical
Just guessing, really, since I don't know any details.

Body-kinesthetic from figure skating...I may trip over shadows when walking but somehow ice dancing and synchronized skating are my biggest talents and accomplishments.

Auditory-musical as I was raised on music; my mom taught me how to play the piano when I was 4 and I can still play by ear when I try.

auditory-musical
logical-mathamatical
visual-spatial
interpersonal communication

Back
Top Bottom