What do you Americans really think of Steve Irwin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you Americans really think of Steve Irwin?

• Love him

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Hate him

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Don't know him, don't care about him

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Just wondering, cos the guy really is an idiot. I haven't seen much of his stuff as I dont really care for crocodiles either way and I think all snakes and spiders should be killed...But I was just watching him on Conan and I dont think he really knew what to think of him. I dont think he actually knew what he was saying half the time.

Is he really that huge over your way?

croc shmock

yes, I voted hate
obviously i dont actually hate the man but i hate what he does and how he makes my country look.
flippin idiot

I, myself, am a fan of Steve Irwin. I've watched a lot of his shows and the man knows what he's talking about when it comes to animals. His excitement and enthusiasm really comes through (I suppose this is what annoys some people), but I really appreciate it. He obviously loves what he does, and I've heard him say that his goal is to educate people about animals, especially the creepy, slimy, and dangerous ones, and to promote conservation because the animals can't speak for themselves. At a time when animals are going extinct every day, I admire him for raising awareness and concern for animals.

And by the way, I don't think he makes Australia look like a bunch of morons. When you watch his show, he is very knowledgeable about the animals he features, and many of his shows have shown how compassionate Australians are and how beautiful and diverse the country is.

hehe zoolanda.
That is true heartland about his knowledge. Its all good what he does too. I was pleased to hear all the money he makes off his show and the new movie go back into conservation funds etc. And I have to admit he was pretty funny on the show earlier, I just hope he doesn't end up the next Dundee.
Cos we all need another one dont we? :D

Steve Irwin is our biggest export next to Fosters beer. He is this squat little crocodile hunter man who doesn't hunt them. Just does a Rex Hunt with them and stuff. He likes anything that can kill you basically. He is very ocker, loud, typical stereotype of the outback Australian man. Which doesn't exist by the way.
Why, you looking for a new man Screamer?
:kiss:

he's the crocodile hunter?! that show makes me laugh, although i think that guy is a loon. :coocoo:

yes, obviously i want him bad. :heart:

screamer, u get your name from nights spent with that stud dont u

and they let him make a movie :mad: :mad:

Is he the one who always does stuff like sticking his head in a crocodiles mouth, and then yells "WHOA THAT WAS CLOSE!!"

If so... I've always wanted to ask him what he expected when he did that, of course it is.

She ls Raging said:
Is he the one who always does stuff like sticking his head in a crocodiles mouth, and then yells "WHOA THAT WAS CLOSE!!"

If so... I've always wanted to ask him what he expected when he did that, of course it is.

:lmao:
That is so true! "Aww gee, he's a bit mad now! If I just nudge him with this really large stick, he might go me!...oh yeah he did! Didn't like that much eh!"

Screamer. You kill me.

Stop it.

Please.

Personally, I think he's pretty great. His show is funny, kids love it and it raises awareness about animals most people just don't care about. I also think there's something special about someone who OBVIOUSLY loves what he does. And have you heard him talk about his wedding and the birth of his daughter? It's pretty sweet. WHAT A BEAUTIE!

oh man
the americans are saying 'beauty'
angie, what have u done?!!!!! :scream: :scream:

She ls Raging said:

Obviously you've never watched his show. Irwin does not intentionally provoke any animal. He even explains all the time that stress can kill crocodiles, and he only handles them when their lives are in danger and/or they need to be moved to a different, safer place.

:rant: Man, this makes me mad! :eek: I really think Steve Irwin does a lot of good things, and if people had ever really watched his show, they'd understand that. Seriously, if you don't know what he's about, watch his show. You might learn something. :)

Steve is ok...I neither like him nor hate him. He can be funny...he can be annoying...and don't worry. We Americans know that Australians aren't like that! If they were you would have never reached the place you have now...you'd all be passed out from being in a constant state of excitment!:laugh:

He does bring attention to conservation issues...and kids like him.

Personally I like Jeff Corwin better...he's another guy on "Animal Planet" ..does similar crazy things and is funny but not as...annoying. He's an American btw...

dream wanderer

HeartlandGirl said:

Obviously you've never watched his show. Irwin does not intentionally provoke any animal. He even explains all the time that stress can kill crocodiles, and he only handles them when their lives are in danger and/or they need to be moved to a different, safer place.

:rant: Man, this makes me mad! :eek: I really think Steve Irwin does a lot of good things, and if people had ever really watched his show, they'd understand that. Seriously, if you don't know what he's about, watch his show. You might learn something. :)

Easy there ... Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting at this place half the time because my words twisted around all the time!! I HAVE watched the show, I merely asked if this was the guy I was thinking of! I didnt know his name, merely that he was the crocodile hunter. I have in fact watched the show, and IMO - sometimes he does provoke the animals. Lighten up... it was just a joke!

Don't get all offended! :) This is the internet, and all one has to go on is words and emoticons. From what you wrote, it sounded like you'd only heard of him and never seen the show. My bad! My mom and I had the Crocodile Hunter marathon on one New Year's and ended up seeing a lot of his shows. I know you were joking, but I still stand by the statement that I don't think he provokes the animals. He loves them too much to do that.

No harm meant. :reject: I seem to recall you being offended at another of my posts a long while ago. No hard feelings!

:lmao: I think I was just upset at the posts that seemed to make fun of Steve Irwin...and it's been a rough day at work. As you can tell, I enjoy his show and have a lot of respect for his work.

Can't wait to tell my husband that I got in a "fight" about the Crocodile Hunter on a U2 board!

*gives the peace sign to all*

Re: croc shmock

Cowgirl said:
obviously i dont actually hate the man but i hate what he does and how he makes my country look.

Don't worry, manda- I think most (if not all) Americans realize that Australians don't all act like the croc hunter! :)

I think he can be kind of annoying, but he does do good things so that's a plus. I can't believe they made the Crocodile Hunter into a movie, though. *groan*

I know this Q was directed at residents of the USA ..but

'struth mate, when have I let a little thing like that stop me?

When I first connected to the net and went to chat rooms and mentioned Australia, the most common next Q was do you watch Steve Irwin? At that point in time I had not heard of him.

I sure have now!!
Colourful character, a gimmick.... every one who wants to get noticed has to have one these days. For him it's the "khakis and the crikeys".
I'm sure he does actually speak like that, but I am sure they edit hours of film and capture those "special moments" a stereotypical Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi...in full flight...bit embarrassing eh?...... but that's Hollywood.
In the meantime he is gaining attention and educating ( woah go easy here cass) people about the life and plight of animals.
Go Steve baby...u tell 'em love.....right in their ear-hole or cake-hole, whatever it takes to get the message across.
I haven't watched that many of his programs, but one night I saw him suspended in the rainforest canopy face-to-face with an infant something or other(monkey I think) he had tears of pure joy and love for that animal in his eyes. A mark of the man.

You have to act the goat sometimes if you people to notice you.

Our local NPWS media spokesperson mentioned him on the radio yesterday. Steve Irwin is carrying on the work his father began. He was born on the reptile park where he is based., so it is deep in his heart. Thank heavens for people like him.
I also like watching couples who work well together. Their love is obvious. I noticed he called his daughter Bindi. I'd say Steve grew up watching the Rolf Harris outback safari series. Rolf's daughter who was born while that series was being made and is called Bindi.
The Good David's....Suzuki, Attenborough, Bellamy
The Good-hearted Steve...a club of his own.
CRIKEY"S!!! long answer for someone with a humble opinion:laugh:

No problem HLG...!

I'm remembering now why the name sounds so familiar. I dated a Steve Irwin in high school for a short time. Only he was Latino, and the only contact he probably had with animals was pigeons or something like that!

I am not American so I didn't participate in the poll
but Steve Irwin is definately cool
(both me & my gf think so and we can't both be wrong)

HeartlandGirl said:
I, myself, am a fan of Steve Irwin. I've watched a lot of his shows and the man knows what he's talking about when it comes to animals. His excitement and enthusiasm really comes through (I suppose this is what annoys some people), but I really appreciate it. He obviously loves what he does, and I've heard him say that his goal is to educate people about animals, especially the creepy, slimy, and dangerous ones, and to promote conservation because the animals can't speak for themselves. At a time when animals are going extinct every day, I admire him for raising awareness and concern for animals.

agreed :up:

:hug: to HeartlandGirl and She Is Raging, thanks for replying :)

And to everyone else of course. I was just curious.

Screamer, bite me sweetheart.
:madspit:

your vote counts salomey
angie just knows u dutchies
thats all im saying heh

Back
Top Bottom