What do people do with this junk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like a lot of municipalities, my township has what is known as "large item pick up" once a year as a means for residents to get rid of unwanted stuff like old washers, TVs, furniture, etc.

This week is Large Item 2003 for Springettsbury Twp., PA. So Monday I put by the curb an old sofa, two matching cloth covered chairs, two broken old wooden chairs (green of all colors), an infant play pen, an office-style chair (rollers severly damaged), a beat up wooden end table, an old charcoal grill, and a big empty box.

As of Wednesday evening, my township has yet to come through my street to pick up the stuff, but....only the empty box and the broken office chair remain!

WTF do people want with this junk? The end table was nabbed by a guy in a pick up truck before I could even finish hauling the rest of the stuff down to the road on Monday. The cloth chairs I can understand, they still had some life in it. But for the love of God, the sofa, allready in sad shape, sat in the rain for at least a day.

Do that many people have Sanford & Son- like tendencies or do they all just live close to me?

I'm obsessed with couches sitting on the curbs. I always have to point them out to whoever I am with and check them out as we go by. I have a weird fascination with them. I've never taken one though.l

for some I guess a sofa in sad shape is better than no sofa at all? they could always get a slip cover or re-upholster it themselvs I suppose? :shrug:

one man's trash is an other man's treasure :sexywink:

I'm gonna sneak into ABEL's place one of these nights and do...something...

You don't need to know what though...because you you don't know won't hurt you. :wink:

ABEL...I'm welcome to stay with you anytime though, remember???

I saved this screenshot just in case you ever tried to deny it...:wink: 'Tis a little blurry, but it's readable!

3377%3A%3A7923232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3A4656%3A%3C8ot1lsi

Don't worry...you won't even notice I'm there. In fact, I'll even sleep on the sofa. :wink:

BC, I'd never deny it....you're welcome any time! :hug:

just let me know ahead of time and I'll cover the sofa with plastic :sexywink: :tongue:

Have you ever noticed when council cleanup time rolls round, that there is always someone near by throwing out an old broken cane wicker lounge setting?

These items fascinate me. It seems that every household in Australia had one at one time during the 80's and decades later is only now throwing them out.

lol Clark W :D

These aren't even nice modern ones like these at this site. They're those horrible mouldy old 80's ones with hibiscus floral prints and things. The era of pink black and grey decore :lol:

hmmmmmmmmmm

You know I am kind of wondering if the city just sets you up to put what you don't want out on the curb for trades and don't tall any of you there really isn't a pick up after all? See, you put the box out...someone picks it up..you put out the chair someone else picks it up...etc.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I recovered my sofa and it looks GREAT! As long as it isn't broken nothing a few stitches some nice fabric and a great staple gun (and hammer) can't do.

this thread reminds me of that car commercial, i forget what company it was tho...where the two guys are driving down the street, and find a chair. they stop and put it in their car. drive down the street to go home, music playing on the raido, after driving off, they look at eachother and immediately stop the car, and dump the chair back out on the curb :lmao:

This reminds me of something that happened at college last year. We have six residence halls that are all a few minutes walk away from each other. This one time when I was walking home I saw a sofa in the road. The next day it had mysteriously made it's way about a mile up the road to my residence hall...and had been delicately placed on top of a six foot wall. The next week I saw it at another residence hall...a few weeks later at another one. It's like people have nothing better to do on a drunken night out than to carry around a dirty old sofa. Personally i find it hard enough to walk without falling down when drunk so carrying a sofa sounds pretty close to impossible.

Clark! You live in the next state over, but you might as well be in the same neighborhood...

We have alley sweeps occasionally, and all sorts of shit gets piled up. But what really got me was when the *nasty* people next door moved out and the crazy woman who sold the house (but rented it out to the Manson family!) had it completely cleaned out b/c it was condemned. There was this enormous pile of junk--not hardly even recognizable stuff, just junk--at the end of the property in the alley. And people came from all over to pick through it! They'd drive down the alley, and some even parked out front and then walked through the backyard next door to go shopping. Oh, and that same week someone stole our garbage can (one of those big giant green ones with the wheels--a mini dumpster)--I thin they used it for a "supermarket trolley"! Oh, and someone else jumped our fence and used the 2x4 we have to lock the back gate to break into one of our cars, only there was nothing to steal.

Needless to say, we were NOT amused....

enggirl said:
those big giant green ones with the wheels

lol..Now I am reminded of a sight I used to see when I was n my way out for work in the morning...place I lived at in Old Town Scottsdale...there was a dumpster near the gate and each morning I would be entertained by the vision of a butt with attached legs dangling from the front of the dumpster (diving for cans) and a bike sitting in front of it with hefties full of metal cans tied to the handlebars...I think that the aluminum is how he pad his rent...:yes:

I'll give it to him for the ecology of recycling...but....:barf: I couldn't go that far.

Not so bad in the suburbs, but in the city, whoa! My dad and I carried this decrepid old table with 3 legs out to the street and went back inside to get more stuff. By the time we had returned, our table was gone...

Same with the washing machine. I mean, seriosuly, we threw it because it was beyond all repair. So if there's someone out there thinking they've scored a washing machine, they'll be very disappointed when they find out all it does is spit up lint.

ABEL said:
they could always get a slip cover or re-upholster it themselvs I suppose? :shrug:

i dont think the people who pick couches up off the street are the same people who make slipcovers for couches.
those two cultures never overlap.

:lmao:

I still have a table I found on the street in NYC 15 years ago. It was actually just a table top from a little French bistro that was going out of business. I was like, yeah, wtf am I going to do with a table top and no legs? But it was really nice and my ever-resourceful landlord/neighbor/packrat convinced me to take it. A few days later, I happened to see 4 table legs sitting outside a junk/antique store. They actually matched my tabletop. Now what are the odds of that? Seemed like it was meant to be. I snatched those babies right up and the landlord/neighbor/packrat attached them to my tabletop and we all lived happily ever after. :)

Back
Top Bottom