What did you grow up listening to? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #46
A childless dog
Local Time: 12:41 AM
I have much older parents...I was born when my dad was 40.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #47
Local Time: 07:41 AM
The first things my father made me listen to were Eric Clapton and Pink Floyd.
Then I started listening to Queen when I was about 8 (a band I still love)
If you still count 14/15 as "growing up" then I can add Blur to my list.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:41 AM
Re: What did you grow up listening to?

Originally posted by corianderstem
I'm going to take a stab and guess that not all of us here popped out of our mothers' wombs as rock and roll music connosieurs.

Well actually...I kinda did.

After a brief period with nursery rhymes, I started listening to the Beatles when I was 3 1/2 (honestly, it's my earliest memory in life), then pretty much moved right on to The Stones, Janis Joplin, The Doors and all that good 60s stuff.

But I cheated. I had an older sister.

I rejected my parent's classical and religious music right off the bat but at least came to appreciate classical later on.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #49
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 03:41 AM

My parents loved Huey Lewis and the News, especially my mom. Whenever they were on tour, my sister and I had to spend the night at Grandma's so our parents could catch a show. I remember Mom yelling, "HUEY!!!" when they'd come on the radio.

I still listen to them.
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 08:41 AM
My dad his a country music fan, so I've grown up hearing Patsy Kline, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, etc in the house.

And my mum likes alsorts of music like Boyzone, Westlife, Sinatra/Rat Pack etc.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:41 AM
My earliest memories of music are Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, U2, and Supertramp from my dad's collection, mixed with a lot of Beethoven, Chopin, and Mozart from my mom's. There was also a lot of Salsa, Cumbia, and Latin music since I grew up in Colombia...so that was definitely a constant.

I did go through a really really bad (but short) pop phase...with everything from The Spice Girls(first CD I ever bought) to the Backstreet Boys (their first 3 albums are somewhere under my bed). I remember my dad refused to buy any of those albums for me, so I would always ask my mom . Around that time I started getting into rock again...but I'd only listen at home and still pretended to absolutely love all those crappy pop bands when I was around my friends. Peer pressure sucks.

When I was 11 I discovered my dad's copy of ATYCLB and the best of the 80's, and the rest is history . I think my dad was so proud when I pretty much stole those albums from him . After discovering U2 and going through the obligatory obsessive phase I started really branching out and I'm still in that process...and loving it. What's even better is that now *I'm* the one getting my dad into bands...I made him a huge Arcade Fire fan, so much that he bought his own copy of Neon Bible.I guess I'm just returning the favour.

I think one of my earliest memories of Pink Floyd is one night my dad was listening to DSOTM in our living room when I was 2 or 3, I just remember him turning up the volume when 'Great Gig in the Sky' started playing...and then me getting slightly freaked out by the vocals. I don't know what it was, but that song just scared me for the longest time.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Local Time: 02:41 AM
surprisingly neither of my parents were music people really. don't know if it was the times or because my mom grew up in large family where money was tight. but she's never been a music person. I did take her to her first "real" concert a few years ago. I took her to see Elton John and Billy Joel. She really enjoyed it.

I got a lot of my music taste from my oldest sister and my 2nd oldest sister. I was born in 1980 but from them I can attribute to my liking Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, the Police/Sting, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Huey Lewis, Styx/Tommy Shaw/Damn Yankees...etc, Genesis, Phil Collins...

I think I lucked out having such an age gap between my sisters to experience this stuff at a young age. from maybe age 5 and on,I used to carry a little radio around wherever I went listening to music.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:41 AM

Mostly 60s and 70s music I guess, some 80s too. It varied from The Beatles to the Stones to Sting/The Police to UB40 to ABBA to Neil Diamond to the Golden Earring to Queen, to dIRE sTRAITS to Phil Collins to Elvis Presley to Simon & Garfunkel... Basically all sorts of music I still listen to these days, so you could say they did a good job
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:11 AM
I'm the product of two parents who completely adore music. They're divorced now, sadly...but when I look at them, and what they had, I can imagine that a love of music was something that ititally bonded them together. As far back as I can remember, the stereo system has been a fully-recognized member of my single-parent family...maybe even like a father

Some of my greatest memories are of falling asleep while my mom sang over records that were played long into the night. I'd keep listening after I was tucked away in bed...it was comforting in a way I can't really describe. She came of age in the early 70s, so her tastes reflected that: David Bowie, Dire Straits, Supertramp, Genesis, Pink Floyd...The Beatles. She also really loved Heart...Seattle's first great "grunge" band The Moody Blues were always played. Oh, and Jackson Browne...he was big, especially Running On Empty. I have a strange, total recall of every lyric on that album. There was also the edgier stuff like Iron Butterfly and The Clash.

The music was great, but one of the other things that fascinated me was the imagery on the album covers. I guess I'm lucky to be old enough to recall the final moments of the turntable's glory days, and how so much interesting art went into the album jackets and fold-out displays. Whenever I was sick, or bored, I'd pull them from the shelf and just pour over them.

When John Lennon died, that was a massive moment for me...a spark. I was six, and I vividly remember my mom crying, and lighting a candle for him that night. I was so moved that I wanted to learn everything about him, and just what he did to move so many.

I've had a few weak moments, like lip-syncing to Wham! outside in the middle of a thunderstorm, with my Walkman in tow (pretending to be George Michael gave me invincibility and 'special powers,' I remember thinking)

Originally posted by Bonochick
My parents loved Huey Lewis and the News, especially my mom. Whenever they were on tour, my sister and I had to spend the night at Grandma's so our parents could catch a show. I remember Mom yelling, "HUEY!!!" when they'd come on the radio.

There was one summer where I spent a lot of time with my dad...Sports was played over and over in his car. I'd love to listen again, just to see what songs I recall. The other thing with Huey, of course, is his big involvement in Back To The Future
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 12:41 AM
"Sports" by Huey Lewis and the News was the first rock album I bought with my own money.

The soundtrack to "Return of the Jedi" was the first album of any kind I bought with my own money.

Ahhh, the early 80s.