What did you grow up listening to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
completely musically influenced by my 4 year older brother, I listened to
- U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky, Boy, War and everything after UABRS eversince

-Big Country - Wonderland EP, Steeltown and The Seer. The great great Stuart Adamson built the soundtrack to my life

-Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time

-Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

-Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Most albums are of 1983/1984 so that means that from the tender age of 6 years I have been raised by great music, bands I still listen to daily.

Well my dad listens to The Velvet Underground first and foremost... he also listens to a lot of motown, Television, punk (The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, etc.), Hendrix, and The Beatles. When my mom was remarried to this guy named David, he listened to Dixie Dregs and Jehthro Tull. So as a really little kid (like first, second grade) I was all about some Jethro Tull. I do think that shaped some of my musical tastes because my mom says Tool reminds her of Jethro Tull :wink:

When I was in third grade my mom forced me to listen to Pop and it was definitely the best thing she ever did for me :D (well, besides giving birth to me I guess) so i really did grow up listening to U2. I got their albums throughout my childhood. I went through a pop music phase around fourth grade and got into backstreet boys, nysnc, britney spears, etc. but after ATYCLB came out in 6th grade that kind of renewed my interest in rock music and I stopped listening to pop and got into a lot of the music I love today, like Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Interpol, Coldplay, and Linkin Park (this was in like 7th-8th grade). I also went through a Beatles phase and a Nirvana phase.

in high school I expanded my musical horizons and started getting into just tons of music, including some rap (which i didnt really listen to before outside of eminem). and here I am ... that's my musical journey :)

I grew up in Russia but I've always been a nearly-total anglophile musically thanks to my parents, :) I haven't really branched out on my own until I was 14-15 years old, so until then I grew up with the music my parents listened to: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors, Deep Purple (which my Mum danced to at uni apparently), Pink Floyd, ABBA, Creedence Clearwater Revival among others. Other music played at our house was pretty varied: some Russian pop/rock, traditional/folk Russian music, classical, jazz, quality pop music (not Europop crap) from countries like France, Germany, Italy. So I guess my love for variety in music also comes from those days.

Great thread!:up:

Mum & Dad were into:

Sonny & Cher
Moody Blues
Bee Gees
ABBA
Dr Hook
The Eagles
The Animals
10CC

Awsome collection of stuff! There is more but i can't remember......listening to that music really stirs up great memories of BBQ's,parties and just being a kid.

Oh yeah!...........Daddy Cool,Neil Diamond!

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
:lol: @ U2isthebest

I was really surprised by how much I liked Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" CD. There's loads of good songs on there.

The sad thing is, I could probably still break into any song by those singers/bands on command.:crack:

My father always listened to country

My mother listened to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, Simon and Garfunkel. When I went to a Simon and Garfunkel concert with her on their last tour, and to Graceland with her last year, it was almost as if everything had come full circle.

I think it's interesting in this thread guessing the round-about ages of the posters based on what their parents listened to.

:wink:

I feel old, and my parents must be ancient compared to others' in this thread!

My Dad was (and still is) big into the classic rock genre, along with R&B and the like. I grew up with his records, so I was exposed to the likes of the Stones, Blondie, Motown (all those Supremes and Little Stevie Wonder albums :love: ), Seger, Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, etc. at an early age. My mom's never been as huge into music as my dad and I, but I blame my love of cheesy pop on her. :wink:

Almost everything No Spoken Words said. Goddamn stalker, WTF, man?

My mother listened to the South Pacific soundtrack. I remember my sister like Andy Gibb and West Side Story. My father had CCR and the Beatles going a lot. I realized as a teenager I didn't know any nursery rhymes or fairy tales, really, but I knew Sgt Pepper's beginning to end and will always hear Mr. Kite with the ears of a 5 year old (it's a very visual song for a kid.)

First album I ever owned was either Thriller or Styx's "Kilroy Was Here" (Mr. Roboto :drool:). I also remember a lot of Neil Diamond and Elvis. Motown and 50s rock like Bill Halley. Good stuff.

My parents are folk/country/rock/hippies...

Dad
-Classical music (wide variety)
-CSNY
-The Eagles
-Doc Watson
-Ian And Sylvia
-Tom Rush
-Donovan
-Rolling Stones
-Bruce Springsteen
-Pink Floyd
-Dire Straights

Mom
-Beatles
-Bruce Cockburn
-Emmylou Harris
-Joni Mitchell
-Lorena McKennit

In my formative years, I was exposed to a lot of:

Motown
Oldies (with a lot of British Invasion...including Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc...)
Jazz

My parents both played and my brother and i both play so there was alot of classical music.

My parents listened to
Both- Bob Marley (they went all over the world to hear him) Dennis Brown, Tons of Classical, Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Sinatra, Ray Charles, Motown, Both were also HUGE U2 fans, I have a bootleg of a concert in Rochester my parents were at.

Ma- Joan Jett, Blondie, Aretha, Van Halen (she liked to clean house to loud rock) Aerosmith

Father- CCR, Deep Purple, Clapton, Depeche Mode

The first things my father made me listen to were Eric Clapton and Pink Floyd.
Then I started listening to Queen when I was about 8 (a band I still love)
If you still count 14/15 as "growing up" then I can add Blur to my list.

corianderstem said:
I'm going to take a stab and guess that not all of us here popped out of our mothers' wombs as rock and roll music connosieurs.

Well actually...I kinda did. :reject:

After a brief period with nursery rhymes, I started listening to the Beatles when I was 3 1/2 (honestly, it's my earliest memory in life), then pretty much moved right on to The Stones, Janis Joplin, The Doors and all that good 60s stuff.

But I cheated. I had an older sister. :wink:

I rejected my parent's classical and religious music right off the bat but at least came to appreciate classical later on.

My parents loved Huey Lewis and the News, especially my mom. Whenever they were on tour, my sister and I had to spend the night at Grandma's so our parents could catch a show. I remember Mom yelling, "HUEY!!!" when they'd come on the radio.

I still listen to them.

My dad his a country music fan, so I've grown up hearing Patsy Kline, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, etc in the house.

And my mum likes alsorts of music like Boyzone, Westlife, Sinatra/Rat Pack etc.

My earliest memories of music are Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, U2, and Supertramp from my dad's collection, mixed with a lot of Beethoven, Chopin, and Mozart from my mom's. There was also a lot of Salsa, Cumbia, and Latin music since I grew up in Colombia...so that was definitely a constant.

I did go through a really really bad (but short) pop phase...with everything from The Spice Girls(first CD I ever bought) to the Backstreet Boys (their first 3 albums are somewhere under my bed). I remember my dad refused to buy any of those albums for me, so I would always ask my mom :lol:. Around that time I started getting into rock again...but I'd only listen at home and still pretended to absolutely love all those crappy pop bands when I was around my friends. Peer pressure sucks.

When I was 11 I discovered my dad's copy of ATYCLB and the best of the 80's, and the rest is history :wink:. I think my dad was so proud when I pretty much stole those albums from him :lol:. After discovering U2 and going through the obligatory obsessive phase I started really branching out and I'm still in that process...and loving it. What's even better is that now *I'm* the one getting my dad into bands...I made him a huge Arcade Fire fan, so much that he bought his own copy of Neon Bible.I guess I'm just returning the favour. :lol:

I think one of my earliest memories of Pink Floyd is one night my dad was listening to DSOTM in our living room when I was 2 or 3, I just remember him turning up the volume when 'Great Gig in the Sky' started playing...and then me getting slightly freaked out by the vocals. I don't know what it was, but that song just scared me for the longest time. :reject:

surprisingly neither of my parents were music people really. don't know if it was the times or because my mom grew up in large family where money was tight. but she's never been a music person. I did take her to her first "real" concert a few years ago. I took her to see Elton John and Billy Joel. She really enjoyed it.

I got a lot of my music taste from my oldest sister and my 2nd oldest sister. I was born in 1980 but from them I can attribute to my liking Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, the Police/Sting, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Huey Lewis, Styx/Tommy Shaw/Damn Yankees...etc, Genesis, Phil Collins...

I think I lucked out having such an age gap between my sisters to experience this stuff at a young age. from maybe age 5 and on,I used to carry a little radio around wherever I went listening to music.

Gosh...

Mostly 60s and 70s music I guess, some 80s too. It varied from The Beatles to the Stones to Sting/The Police to UB40 to ABBA to Neil Diamond to the Golden Earring to Queen, to dIRE sTRAITS to Phil Collins to Elvis Presley to Simon & Garfunkel... Basically all sorts of music I still listen to these days, so you could say they did a good job :wink:

I'm the product of two parents who completely adore music. They're divorced now, sadly...but when I look at them, and what they had, I can imagine that a love of music was something that ititally bonded them together. As far back as I can remember, the stereo system has been a fully-recognized member of my single-parent family...maybe even like a father :sad: :wink:

Some of my greatest memories are of falling asleep while my mom sang over records that were played long into the night. I'd keep listening after I was tucked away in bed...it was comforting in a way I can't really describe. She came of age in the early 70s, so her tastes reflected that: David Bowie, Dire Straits, Supertramp, Genesis, Pink Floyd...The Beatles. She also really loved Heart...Seattle's first great "grunge" band :wink: The Moody Blues were always played. Oh, and Jackson Browne...he was big, especially Running On Empty. I have a strange, total recall of every lyric on that album. There was also the edgier stuff like Iron Butterfly and The Clash.

The music was great, but one of the other things that fascinated me was the imagery on the album covers. I guess I'm lucky to be old enough to recall the final moments of the turntable's glory days, and how so much interesting art went into the album jackets and fold-out displays. Whenever I was sick, or bored, I'd pull them from the shelf and just pour over them.

When John Lennon died, that was a massive moment for me...a spark. I was six, and I vividly remember my mom crying, and lighting a candle for him that night. I was so moved that I wanted to learn everything about him, and just what he did to move so many.

I've had a few weak moments, like lip-syncing to Wham! outside in the middle of a thunderstorm, with my Walkman in tow (pretending to be George Michael gave me invincibility and 'special powers,' I remember thinking) :huh:

Music :heart:

Bonochick said:
My parents loved Huey Lewis and the News, especially my mom. Whenever they were on tour, my sister and I had to spend the night at Grandma's so our parents could catch a show. I remember Mom yelling, "HUEY!!!" when they'd come on the radio.

:up:

There was one summer where I spent a lot of time with my dad...Sports was played over and over in his car. I'd love to listen again, just to see what songs I recall. The other thing with Huey, of course, is his big involvement in Back To The Future :drool:

"Sports" by Huey Lewis and the News was the first rock album I bought with my own money.

The soundtrack to "Return of the Jedi" was the first album of any kind I bought with my own money.

Ahhh, the early 80s. :love:

Back
Top Bottom