What did you grow up listening to? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 12:12 PM
My mom loved Ahmad Jamal and Ella Fitzgerald, and my dad loved the Temptations. That's what I mostly remember around the house. My teenaged neighbors dug Janis. I still remember being sad when she died.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

I can honestly say I've never heard of Ahmad Jamal. Is he a jazz artist?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:12 PM
My father listened to olk school country; Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Perkins, George Jones, etc...

My mother listened to Elvis, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbinson, Neil Diamond...

and then I found a Hendrix and a Dylan record buried in her collection one day
Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

People keep reminding me of what I left out.

My parents LOVE Neil Diamond. I could sing Cracklin Rosie before I could spell, I think.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Venga Boys! "We like to party ... we like, we like to party!" They play that at baseball games now and again, if someone hits a home run, and I'll admit to clapping and dancing around to it.

Dang, you had hip parents, GG.

"Tragedy" always cracks me up because I have no idea what's going on in that song. It's just a lot of fast mumbling in that high falsetto, and then "TRAGEDY! a mumble mumble mumble mumble TRAGEDY!"
I have a cute story regarding the Venga Boys - my sister was about six or seven when they were popular...I forget the name of the song now, but the lyrics went "WHOA! We're going to Ibiza!" My sister thought the lyrics were "WHOA! We're going to eat pizza!" and used to run about singing that all the time, especially when we had pizza for lunch.

Yeah, my parents were pretty hip. In my very early teens I didn't think so, but quickly saw the error of my ways.

HA, and I'm the same way with Tragedy! "TRAGEDY! dada da-da-da da dada da-da-da TRAGEDY!"
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

I think the closest thing my parents had to rock and roll was a Neil Diamon album ... it had "I Am, I Said" on it. I think my favorite album of my mom's was The Captain and Tenille ... the one with "Muskrat Love" on it.

Although a few years ago I asked my dad what he wanted for his birthday, and he knocked my socks off by requesting an Iron Butterfly CD that had the full-length version of "Inna-Gadda Da Vida" on it.

Honestly, I almost hung up, convinced I'd dialed the wrong number. But I bought it for him, but still cannot picture him sitting on the couch and blissfully listening to 20 minutes of drum solo.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I have a cute story regarding the Venga Boys - my sister was about six or seven when they were popular...I forget the name of the song now, but the lyrics went "WHOA! We're going to Ibiza!" My sister thought the lyrics were "WHOA! We're going to eat pizza!" and used to run about singing that all the time, especially when we had pizza for lunch.

Yeah, my parents were pretty hip. In my very early teens I didn't think so, but quickly saw the error of my ways.

HA, and I'm the same way with Tragedy! "TRAGEDY! dada da-da-da da dada da-da-da TRAGEDY!"
Come, on, I know more lyrics than that:

Tragedy...when you blah blah blah and you dadada...Tragedy, when the dah dah dah and then blah blah blah, it's hard to blah, you're going to dadada da-da-da-da-da.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I was born in 88...so I started listening to music during the teen pop craze.

The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, (althought "Stripped" and "Back To Basics" are both amazing albums) Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, N*SYNC, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, and *erm* Aaron Carter were just the bomb diggity for me.

Thanks for reminding me of the darkest times in my life.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #24
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I can honestly say I've never heard of Ahmad Jamal. Is he a jazz artist?
Yeah. Piano.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

@ U2isthebest

I was really surprised by how much I liked Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" CD. There's loads of good songs on there.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

I found Floyd, Queen, Dire Straits, Supertramp and The Doors mostly on my own. However, my folks did love CCR, left that out, amongst others, I'm sure.

Born in 87, wow.

I have a buddy that loved to make mixed CDs when we drove to Vegas...and, without fail, he'd include "I Want it That Way" by Backstreet. I hated it, but, deep down inside, I think I like that song a little. Maybe.
I'm really grateful that my parents liked such great bands. It meant I could just steal their albums and not have to buy them myself. They never were all that into U2, however. I find that a bit odd. My mother had JT on vinyl and that's it. So I had to buy up U2's back catalogue from scratch...

I sometimes think I should have been born in the 60s. "New" music would have been more exciting for me, back then. I don't have much faith in the current state of music. I could probably count the number of current bands I truly love on two hands.

I Want It That Way. At school, we used to imitate all the moves from the video. I'd love to go back in time and throttle my teenybopper self.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I'm really grateful that my parents liked such great bands. It meant I could just steal their albums and not have to buy them myself. They never were all that into U2, however. I find that a bit odd. My mother had JT on vinyl and that's it. So I had to buy up U2's back catalogue from scratch...

I sometimes think I should have been born in the 60s. "New" music would have been more exciting for me, back then. I don't have much faith in the current state of music. I could probably count the number of current bands I truly love on two hands.

I Want It That Way. At school, we used to imitate all the moves from the video. I'd love to go back in time and throttle my teenybopper self.
I'm glad that my musical tastes developed in the 80's. Like any decade, there's a lot of crap there, but, my musical heroes came from that decade, and to have latched on to U2 and REM as they began their careers has been rewarding for me. So glad that I've been able to go back and discover amazing music from decades prior, though. And that's what's great about books or music....it's always waiting to be rediscovered. I think my parents tastes were ok...not adventurous, but, I greatly respect their love of Motown. I think it's great that you and your Dad have Floyd in common. My Dad and I have Cormac McCarthy and the NY Yankees.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Both my mom and dad were into classic rock and the music of the times. My mom was a huge Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart fan, so there was lots of that.

My grandmother would often babysit us and she'd always play old country. When I think of music and life in the 80's I always think back to sitting on my grammies couch, drawing and listening to the record player while my grammie was in the rocking chair reading, or 'resting her eyes'.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 AM   #29
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Everyone else's parent must have been pretty cool. On long car trips we'd be subjected to Air Supply, the Drifters or some other snooze fest. If Dad was in a funny mood we'd have novelty songs. Aah the memories of Ernie- he drove the fastest milk cart in the west, Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport, Old Man Emu, the list just goes on and on. My parents even break out the old LPs for a singalong when my husband and brother -in-law come over. How my sister and I ever found husbands is beyond me.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Daddy Cool, Baby Animals, the Commitments soundtrack, Bowie, INXS... those are some of the earliest memories. In around 97-98 (I was born in '89), I didn't have much interest in music, but I did listen to what my older brother was into - many repeated listens of Pixies and Husker Du album tracks, as well as some more regrettable stuff like Oasis and to a lesser extent, Nirvana. That's sort of what established what I knew I'd like before I really became a music fan.

I never got into any teeny bopper phase. I hated it when it happened, because I loved seeing chart-topping dance songs in the charts during the mid 90s... and they sort of disappeared as boybands took over, or at least they became much less interesting and catchy.