What constitutes a "comeback"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
What, in your opinion, is a "comeback"? Is it when an artist doesn't do anything special for 10 years or so and puts out a masterpiece? Or is it when an artist puts out a couple of crap albums then comes out with a masterpiece? What do you think?

I think the word "comeback" can be applied to both situations, particularly the latter.

But in the case MVD saw, I think there's a serious misunderstanding of the use of that word. :huh: Taking a 2 year break shouldn't be called a "comeback".

Mostly the word is overused beyond belief. Comeback is irrelevant if they never really went away.

I'd apply comeback to people like Johnny Cash or Roy Orbison (at least one of whom was dropped from his longtime label altogether), who virtually disappeared then came back, arguably, better than ever.

U2democrat said:
What, in your opinion, is a "comeback"? Is it when an artist doesn't do anything special for 10 years or so and puts out a masterpiece? Or is it when an artist puts out a couple of crap albums then comes out with a masterpiece? What do you think?

Either

For the first one... Brian Wilson

For the second... Prince :D

I think both. It's really the context. If an artist has been out of the game for a good number of years and comes back full throttle - comeback. If an artists sucks hard and has bad sales for a number of years and then has a blockbuster album and regains respect from the masses - comeback.

:shrug:

We'll see when Martha gets outta the slammer. :wink:

I don't know, I guess I'd assume a comeback would suggest crap music was being recorded after a good-brilliant initial period, and now there is a return to the basics?

Quick, identify this lyric:

"Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years."

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom