What books are you reading this summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Now that I'm finally finishing up with school for the summer, I'll have some time to read something other than a medical textbook and am curious to hear what other people out there are reading.

Here's what I'd like to read this summer:

The Assault on Reason by Al Gore
D-Day by Stephen Ambrose
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

randhail said:
Now that I'm finally finishing up with school for the summer, I'll have some time to read something other than a medical textbook and am curious to hear what other people out there are reading.

Here's what I'd like to read this summer:

The Assault on Reason by Al Gore

My Dad's going to order it and I'm going to read it :up:

If you haven't read Earth in the Balance by Gore you ought to, it came out in '91. Good read.

Fiction:

Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling

The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian

Anything by Patricia Cornwell or Kathy Reichs I haven't read yet

Non-Fiction or telling a true story:

Don't Shoot the Dog! by Karen Pryor (it's about using a clicker and positive reinforcement/operant techniques to train animals)

Culture Clash: A Revolutionary New Way to Understanding the Relationship Between Humans and Domestic Dogs by Jean Donaldson

What is the What by David Eggers (Sudanese refugee)

Anything by Ann Rule I haven't read yet (murder stories)

Oh yeah I also want to read The Two Towers by Tolkien. I read Fellowship a couple summers ago and I really want to read the other books...but finding time will be difficult.

currently Bono on Bono: Conversations.

after that it will probably be Bono: In the Name of Love or U2: At the End of the World which i just got recently :)

"God's Politics: Why The Right Gets It Wrong And The Left Doesn't Get It" by Jim Wallis

"Reposition Yourself" by T.D. Jakes

"Cure For The Common Life" by Max Lucado

"Just Like Jesus" by Max Lucado

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates

"Little Children" by Tom Perrotta.

So I need to get going...:crack:

U2isthebest said:
"God's Politics: Why The Right Gets It Wrong And The Left Doesn't Get It" by Jim Wallis

"Reposition Yourself" by T.D. Jakes

"Cure For The Common Life" by Max Lucado

"Just Like Jesus" by Max Lucado

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates

"Little Children" by Tom Perrotta.

So I need to get going...:crack:

"The Jesus I Never Knew" changed my view of Jesus almost completely. :up:

BrownEyedBoy said:

"The Jesus I Never Knew" changed my view of Jesus almost completely. :up:

That's by Philip Yancey, if I'm thinking of the same book you are? I've read that one too. It's amazing! You should check out "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancey as well. I hadn't heard of that one until Bono mentioned it being one of his favorites.

I just started Richard Ford's newest novel, The Lay of the Land. I'm also rereading Richard Siken's book of poems Crush. I should get around to finishing Bono In Conversation. I started it and got really into it, then set it aside for some reason.

I wish we could all keep the original "books" thread on the first page so when some fellow reader wants to talk about it, they can actually find it. :(

I have loads to read this summer. The only book I have on my summer "to do" list is to finish Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. I've been reading it a little here and there but want to finally get all the way through it.

Other than that, I plan on reading loads and loads ... :drool:

I have biographies of Julius Caesar and V.I. Lenin that I have been intending to read for quite some time, although I read so much during the last semester that I have yet to muster the enthusiasm.

Also finally having some time again to start reading other books than schoolbooks... :crack:

For the next couple of weeks it's gonna be: 'Deverry' by Katharine Kerr and a whole series of Virginia Andrews :)

U2isthebest said:

That's by Philip Yancey, if I'm thinking of the same book you are? I've read that one too. It's amazing! You should check out "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancey as well. I hadn't heard of that one until Bono mentioned it being one of his favorites.

Yeah, I couldn't remember PY's name when I posted but it's the same one.

I'm currently catching up on all the Harry Potter books. I'm up to Order of the Phoenix right now. I should be done all of them before the movie & last book come out.

Other than that, there are a couple of books on the Russian revolution and English history that I've been reading on and off for many months now. I'm sure I'll finish them at some point this summer.

I read that. I didn't care for it, but I've heard from other folks that it wasn't the best choice to read as my first Rushdie novel.

I hear you about finding time to read being a problem, JC. I usually read a few pages at a time on my breaks at work; at home I have newspapers and the few magazines I still subscribe to. I've finally started to read "Unforgettable Fire" by Eamon Murphy, which I got off of eBay a couple of years ago. :reject:

JCOSTER said:
Finding the time is a problem, so if I get bored I'll find something else.

I don't have a problem finding time, but I'm finally learning to let myself put down a book if I don't like it. I used to be anal retentive enough that I'd feel like I had to finish the book even if I didn't like it.

No more of that. Life's too short for books that you don't like. :wink:

corianderstem said:

I don't have a problem finding time, but I'm finally learning to let myself put down a book if I don't like it. I used to be anal retentive enough that I'd feel like I had to finish the book even if I didn't like it.

No more of that. Life's too short for books that you don't like. :wink:

You just named the one thing I cannot do. I make time to read on a daily basis, but, I just cannot move on to the next book until I finish the current one, regardless of how good or bad it is. Luckily, I don't end up reading too many bad books, but, the few times I do, I need to learn how to stop. Now that I think about it, I have the same problem with blackjack....I never know when to stop. :)

We just bought a book at Barnes N' Noble today called U2 Show. It looks pretty interesting; might have to check some of that out.

Other than that, probably just Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, maybe re-read To Kill A Mockingbird, and if I can fit it in, I'll try to read some of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix before the movie comes out....just so I'll be clued in. But I doubt I'll be able to finish it. When does the movie come out again? :wink:

I'm still working on Bob Woodruff's book In An Instant, Elizabeth Edwards' book Saving Graces and David Ortiz' autobiography. I am usually working on two or three books at a time. My eyes are so strained by how much I have to be on a computer that it's tough to get myself to read at night.

Recently finished:

Love Is A Mix Tape - Rob Sheffield

Now working on:

Killing Yourself To Live - Chuck Klosterman

I looooooooooooooove Chuck Klosterman's books. So funny!

How was Love Is a Mixtape? I definitely want to pick that one up.

I loved it, it was just so heartbreaking and touching. The way he lost his young wife so fast and without any warning is scary and worthy enough of a story...but tie in all of these old mix tapes to help tell the story, and it's even better.

Rob Sheffield stole one of my ideas for a book :mad:

I loved The Ground Beneath Her Feet, but I think a large part of it was that I was in awe of his style. He's a real writer's writer. By that I mean that I kept taking apart sections because I wanted to figure out how he was doing what he did. It's definitely not a quick read, though. It took me about two weeks to get through it, and I was reading quite a bit every day. It's also the best rock and roll novel I've found, aside from Madison Smartt Bell's Anything Goes. It's hard to write a rock and roll novel that doesn't fall into cliches.

Rushdie is one of those authors whose work I really want to dig into now that I'm not going to have homework anymore.

Other books I'm looking forward to reading this summer are Anderson Cooper's memoir, Don DeLillo's new novel The Falling Man, and Joan Didion's memoir The Year of Magical Thinking.

Wow, I thought summer was about light reading - you guys sure like 'em heavy! (I do in the winter but not in the summer!)

I'm currently reading Killing Bono by Neil McCormick (hilarious!) and am thinking of picking up some Bill Bryson books...if you recommend any of his, please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom