What books are you reading this summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read "Under the Skin" and "Motherless Brooklyn" in the last three days. Great books.

Motherless Brooklyn was AMAZING. Have you read any other of Lethem's books, upabove? I have Fortress of Solitude on my shelves, sitting unread and lonely.

I couldn't get into Faber's "Under the Skin" but absolutely loved his "The Crimson Petal and the White."

ladywithspinninghead said:
Wow, I thought summer was about light reading - you guys sure like 'em heavy! (I do in the winter but not in the summer!)

Most of what I read is fluff. I try to read one big, heavy, serious book per season to make me feel better about reading chick lit and other fluff. :wink:

(Okay, maybe more than just one.)

I'm currently reading The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho, who is one of my favorite writers.

Also on the summer agenda is The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon, Clock Without Hands by Carson McCullers, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell and an ever growing stack of other stuff.

I just finished Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman, and started Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green (about the author's time serving in Afghanistan) by Johnny Rico.

I'd like to get more of Klosterman's work, he's hilarious. And, of course, I'll read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I'm guessing that sometime within the next year or so all the Harry Potter books will be sold in a box set. I've been meaning to read them, but I figure I might as well just wait until I can get them all at once.

There was an article on Yahoo the other day about a new series about a boy archeologist that's being touted as the next Harry Potter. I hope it is, because it's great that these books have gotten so many people--kids and adults--reading.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Don DeLillo's new novel The Falling Man

I read Falling Man a couple of months ago, and really liked it (despite a couple of week points). It was slated on BBC's Newsnight Review, though. Is the book receiving much attention in the US?

I'm looking forward to reading it. I may tackle it next, after I'm finished reading the Richard Ford novel I'm about a quarter of the way into now. I read Cosmopolis a few weeks ago and liked it much more than I did The Body Artist and Great Jones Street, which were the last two DeLillo novels I read. I'm anticipating it to be a little cold and detatched--in some ways I feel like that's both DeLillo's greatest strength and his greatest weakness.

It's been getting a bit of attention here in the U.S., but not a lot. But that's really the case with pretty much any book besides Harry Potter. It's sad to see how little attention good books get in our media these days. So many newspapers are either running fewer reviews or not running any at all.

My first novel, of course, will get gobs and heaps of attention, as soon as I finish the revisions of it :wink:

Back
Top Bottom