what bands do you guys like more than U2 (If any)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm Ready

War Child
I actually have quite a couple

-bob dylan
-bruce springsteen
-the who
-the rolling stones
-jimi hendrix
-radiohead
-velvet underground

I like
Oingo Boingo ( derr)
Janes addiction
the doors
The Pogues
David Bowie
The Beatles
Tom Waits
Dead can dance
The velvet underground
I dont know if I like them more than U2, but probably the same.

the beatles
the clash
the ducky boys
bruce springsteen
dropkick murphys
hudson falcons
rolling stones

actually, most bands i currently listen to i like more than u2. u2 annoy me a lot these days.

beatlesfans.jpg

I like different artists in different ways, I tend not to compete Springsteen, Dylan, Young, Morrisey , Buckley, Costello, Bowie , Bright Eyes against U2...cause I lump them into the singer/songwriter category :sexywink:...but when I'm listening to Radiohead, Police, Velvet Underground, Smiths, REM, Wilco, Mars Volta etc.. ...at the moment I like it more than U2. The truth is I usually forget I like U2 so much or even why I like them...cause I honestly don't listen to them everyday or even every week...I've gone months and months without putting their music on...but when I do...it all comes back and then I wonder why I hadnt heard them in so long...and then the cycle continues again.

None

But I also love:

Springsteen
Radiohead
Sigur Ros
Pearl Jam
Jason Harrod
and many more...

U2 is my favourite band by a mile. Like, I love them so much they're not even my favourite band, they're a step beyond my favourite band. They're a part of who I am or something.

But other than U2 I'm extra into Radiohead, Alien Ant Farm, Dredg, and Bright Eyes.

My favorites include - Pete Yorn, Garbage, Alice in Chains, Cake, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Jeff Buckley, the Pogues, and Radiohead off the top of my head. I havent really been listening to too much U2 lately.

AtomicBono said:
U2 is my favourite band by a mile. Like, I love them so much they're not even my favourite band, they're a step beyond my favourite band. They're a part of who I am or something.

same here actually. i dont class them as one of my favourite bands anymore as they are way more than that, and no one really comes close.
But i do like bob dylan, the beatles, nirvana, the clash, madonna, kate bush, the sex pistols, the eurythmics alot. Just not in the same way as u2.

I own about 18 of Queen albums so I guess they would be my all time favorites.

But my top artists would be:

U2
Alejandro Sanz
Queen
Michael Bublé
Ricardo Arjona
Luis Miguel
Bon Jovi

AtomicBono said:

Ditto that here too but also listen to 3 Doors Down a lot. Also like Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam, Switchfoot, Fuel, Usher, Janet...

It used to be that the Beatles were my fav band but i'd say that hey are now equal with U2.

They are closely followed by Pink Floyd
:love: :bow:

I don't think any band is as good as U2, but I have a lot of other favorites.

1. Uncle Tupelo-Son Volt-Wilco
2. Pixies
3. Sonic Youth
4. REM
5. Tom Waits
6. Tumbleweed Connection-era Elton John
7. Doves
8. Miles Davis
9. The Police
10. Ashlee Simpson. OK, thats a joke.

haha i was just about to go
WHAT THE HELL?! ASHELEE SIMPSON, IN THE SAME LIST AS REM?!
but nevermind..!

She Is Raging said:
My favorites include - Pete Yorn, Garbage, Alice in Chains, Cake, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Jeff Buckley, the Pogues, and Radiohead off the top of my head. I havent really been listening to too much U2 lately.

:bow: :bow:

I don't know what's the problem with Coldplay... they're good. Yeah, they annoy me a lot too but I enjoyed their show in November... much better than I was expecting.

As I said, U2 are my favourite 2nd band at the moment... Pearl Jam are the 1st, and I guess it won't change for a long time.

pearl%20jam.jpg
:bow:

After PJ and U2 there are some other bands I really like:
Nirvana - always...
Iron Maiden - always...
Xutos&Pontapés (a portuguese rock band) - always...
Oasis
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Tool
Alice in Chains
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dire Straits
Bruce Springsteen
Coldplay
Radiohead

Last edited:
Bands I like more than U2? I've got four main ones. I like the pictorial idea, but I'll include why I love them more than U2 as well. Here we go, in order.

bandno1.jpg

Radiohead. Brilliant, etc. I've been a fan for a couple years now. The only album of theirs that I don't really like all that much is Pablo Honey. Anyone Can Play Guitar saves it, though. I wanna be wanna be wanna be Jim Morrison!

bandno2.jpg

Pink Floyd. Brilliant, etc. I've been a fan for a very long time now, seeing as I grew up with a father who worships them probably more than I do. He even listens to A Momentary Lapse Of Reason on occasion. That takes guts. I can't do it. One of my earliest memories of childhood is of leafing through my father's Wish You Were Here cassette booklet.

bandno3.jpg

Queen. Brilliant as well, though not as brilliant as Radiohead and Pink Floyd. RIP, Freddie. I also grew up on these guys, seeing as they're my father's second favourite band. I'm not so wild on a lot of stuff they did in the 80s, but their work in the 70s was golden. When I was nine or so, I used to prance around the lounge with a tennis racquet and Sheer Heart Attack on full blast, pretending I was Brian May.

bandno4.jpg

Echo and the Bunnymen. I've been a fan of this band for far less than Radiohead, Pink Floyd, and Queen, but they've managed to strike a chord with me in a big way. Better at U2's early sound than U2 were! Plus, they did it first. RIP, Pete.

Since I first joined here, my musical taste has grown quite a bit...so let's see... (in no particular order)

The Pogues
The Clash/The Mescaleros
Manic Street Preachers
Bedouin Soundclash
Belle and Sebastian
The Specials (and quite a few other Ska bands)
The Jam/Paul Weller
Elvis Costello
Billy Bragg
David Bowie
The Smiths
Tangiers

I'm probably forgetting a few, but to be honest, I haven't listened to U2 since Vertigo came out.

Right now, I rank a few bands above U2:

1. Dream Theater
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Anathema
4. Crowded House
5. Split Enz
6. U2
7. The Shadows

I tend to rank Pink Floyd just a shade under U2 and The Shadows. Sure, Piper, Animals, and WYWH were great albums, but I really don't think The Wall is as good as people claim it to be, and The Final Cut isn't nearly as entertaining as post-Waters Floyd. Gilmour was hit and miss, but when he hit, he struck the bullseye.

I also suspect Agalloch will soon join my top bands list, though maybe not ahead of U2 just yet. They seem to be holding their own ever since I was introduced to them. Orphaned Land may join this category too, especially if they deliver on the next album.

Edit: I should also add that the upcoming collaboration of Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) should already be in my top five, despite the fact they haven't even recorded the project, let alone released it. It simply CAN'T suck. To quote one of my friends, the result of the collaboration "must be what Heaven sounds like".

GibsonGirl said:
Better at U2's early sound than U2 were! Plus, they did it first.

I don't really agree with this. Besides Ripeness and Two Hearts Beat As One sounding like dead ringers for each other, I think the Echo/U2 comparisons are a bit overstated.

Let's take Crocodiles for example (the Echo album I know the best). It came out in 1980, same year as Boy. Nothing on Crocodiles sounds like Twilight or The Electric Co. Honestly, I don't feel the same energy and passion from the Bunnymen either.

And by War, I think the two bands were moving further away (besides the aforementioned THBAO similarity). War's driven by the powerful drumming and aggressive guitar - SBS, LAS, Refugee - and I've never heard anything quite like that on Echo and the Bunnymen's albums. Plus, I think NYD is an absolutely epic song, while I don't get a sense of "epic" from anything the Bunnymen did.

Last edited:
I don't think anything is going to top U2 as my favorite band ever when you look at the overall scheme of things, but at the moment they are "on notice" with me, to steal a line from Stephen Colbert, until they stop making mediocre music and start making great music again.

At this moment in time Bruce Springsteen rules my world. He is, after all, releasing a new album tomorrow and soon going on tour. Other than that, it's the Beatles and R.E.M. that I've been listening to the most lately.

if I post pictures of the bands I mentioned nobody will know who they are XD

Axver said:

The Final Cut isn't nearly as entertaining as post-Waters Floyd. Gilmour was hit and miss, but when he hit, he struck the bullseye.

That's a matter of personal taste, of course. I feel that The Final Cut pisses all over A Momentary Lapse of Reason/The Division Bell combined. For one thing, I think there's far more emotion on TFC than there is on AMLOR or TDB. When Roger Waters bellows out "his dream is driving me insane!" in The Gunner's Dream, I feel it. I feel absolutely nothing in Pink Floyd's work post-1983. Sure, the music on The Division Bell was probably better than the music in The Final Cut, but the overal feeling just isn't the same for me.

I don't really agree with this. Besides Ripeness and Two Hearts Beat As One sounding like dead ringers for each other, I think the Echo/U2 comparisons are a bit overstated.

Let's take Crocodiles for example (the Echo album I know the best). It came out in 1980, same year as Boy. Nothing on Crocodiles sounds like Twilight or The Electric Co. Honestly, I don't feel the same energy and passion from the Bunnymen either.

And by War, I think the two bands were moving further away (besides the aforementioned THBAO similarity). War's driven by the powerful drumming and aggressive guitar - SBS, LAS, Refugee - and I've never heard anything quite like that on Echo and the Bunnymen's albums. Plus, I think NYD is an absolutely epic song, while I don't get a sense of "epic" from anything the Bunnymen did.

The songs don't have to sound the same in terms of the notes played in order for the bands to sound similar. Listen to the music in a song like Monkeys. Or the title song. It definitely sounds like something U2 could have written (particularly the guitar in Monkeys and the bass lines) even though there aren't any U2 songs that have the same chord structures and whatnot. Ian McCulloch doesn't deliver with quite the same enthusiam and energy as early Bono did, I agree. But even still, Bono had some vocal mannerisms that were very Ian McCulloch-ish. That "I know you know, I know you know" in Crocodiles sounds a lot like Bono, to me.

Crocodiles isn't the album we should be comparing U2 to, though. Heaven Up Here is probably the Bunnymen album that sounds most like anything U2 could have done in the early 80s. The guitar/bass/drums in the middle of Over The Wall, for instance, are dead ringers for early U2. And for some reason, All My Colours reminds me a bit of Tomorrow (with the upbeat ending cut out).

Even when we look to recent Echo And The Bunnymen, there are still similarities - probably even more than there were in the 80s. There are songs on Evergreen (1997) that sound very much like U2 from 2000-present. "Too Young To Kneel" for instance. Even the lyrics sound like Bono lyrics.

Who's gonna hold you
When you're too scared to feel
Who's gonna cure you
When the pain won't heal
Who's gonna be there
When the world goes wrong
Who's gonna tell you
You're the only one

In my blood
In my soul
In this mind of mine
Can your touch
Turn me cold
Make my glitter shine

Who's gonna reach you
When you can't be caught
Who's gonna teach you
What you can't be taught
Who's gonna beat you
When you won't be fought
Who's gonna buy you
When you can't be bought

In my blood
In my soul
In this mind of mine
Can your touch
Turn me cold
Make my glitter shine

Who's gonna pray for you
When you're too young to kneel
Who's gonna fake it
When it gets too real
One more question answered
In the falling star
I heard they found
Death on Mars

In my blood
In my soul
In this mind of mine
Can your touch
Turn me cold
Make my glitter shine

The music in that one is very post 1999 U2-ish as well. Interesting, seeing as that album was released quite some time before ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

The thing that really tops it for me is this - I put Siberia on in the car a little while ago. My sister said, and I quote: "I've never heard this U2 album before, what's it called?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom