What artists/ musicians have you not given a chance but would like to try them out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Over the past several years, it just dawned on me how much music is out there and how many artists/ bands I have yet to really listen to fully. I'm not talking about a superficial listening of an album/ artist and then putting them away after one try either. This past year I've picked up albums by Jeff Beck, Cream, Hendrix and just started to listen to what they have to offer and I've come to appreciate their work. Like Hendrix... I've never appreciated Hendrix until listening to Electric Ladyland this summer. Same with the Stones. However there are like so many groups/ people out there that get tons of praise that I haven't got a real idea about.

Anyways are there like musicians/ artists that you want to fully listen to but haven't yet?

Two musical acts that I'd like to start listening to are The Smiths and Stevie Vai.

the kinks.

as of writing this, i don't think i know even their most popular song.

someone tell me what to check out.

IWasBored said:
the kinks.

as of writing this, i don't think i know even their most popular song.

someone tell me what to check out.

Their most famous song is 'Lola'. Other great songs include 'You Really Got Me' and 'All Day And All Of The Night'. I used to have all their records but I don't want to go into it :sad:

I would look for a greatest hit collection that has been remastered. I think they have put out 3 greatest hits albums so far.

The Kinks :up:

thanks fah :up:

is 'you really got me' the song i think it is...?

soulseek shall tell me.

Girl, you really got me goin’. You got me so I don’t know what I’m doin’. Yeah, you really got me now. You got me so I can’t sleep at night

Yeah, you really got me now. You got me so I don’t know what I’m doin’, now. Oh yeah, you really got me now. You got me so I can’t sleep at night

You really got me, you really got me, you really got me

<somewhere there is really great guitar solo>

I think I know all the words to this song :hmm:

yes, that would be the one i thought it was.

listening to 'lola,' definetlynever heard this song before.

the kinks are one of those bands i know i should be familiar with, but given my age/parents' age and taste in music, i just never have. funny how that stuff works.

ok, all this time i've thought 'you really got me' and 'all day and all of the night' were the same songs.

so i did know 2 of em...

interesting.

T.Rex is on my list, too. Let's see, what else..

The Pixies
The Cure -- I've had the chance to listen to some stuff because my uncle had a brief obsession, but I have no idea what to check out first. Any suggestions?
Echo and the Bunnymen -- heard The Killing Moon, but that's all.

Album or song suggestions would be appreciated. :wink:

yeah, the pixies. i know i like them, i know i like an album or two, but that's it.

i also missed the sale date for tickets to the show here, and right now i'm not really motivated to spend 35 bucks on a show where i won't know most of the songs anyway :shrug: plus i keep thinking about how this show is being billed as a big umass-homecoming thing, when they were bashing amherst left and right in magazines and shit...

elevatedmole said:
T.Rex is on my list, too. Let's see, what else..

The Pixies
The Cure -- I've had the chance to listen to some stuff because my uncle had a brief obsession, but I have no idea what to check out first. Any suggestions?
Echo and the Bunnymen -- heard The Killing Moon, but that's all.

Album or song suggestions would be appreciated. :wink:

Check out the Pixies' "Doolittle" album. It is absolutely fantastic. And the Cure you should defnintly pick up "disintegration".

fah said:
I need some suggestions for Radiohead too :yes:

Travis :hmm:

wow, Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, so i love all the albums so much (except Hail to the Theif, stay away from that one.". I would check out "The Bends" first. It's such a brilliant rock album...almost perfect. After that, or instead of that check out OK Computer, their most famous work. but, do as i did and listen to The Bends first...it's their most acessable, and my favorite album of theirs.

Lancemc said:

wow, Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, so i love all the albums so much (except Hail to the Theif, stay away from that one.". I would check out "The Bends" first. It's such a brilliant rock album...almost perfect. After that, or instead of that check out OK Computer, their most famous work. but, do as i did and listen to The Bends first...it's their most acessable, and my favorite album of theirs.

hail to the theif is good.
pablo honey is more accessible.

the bends is better, but pablo honey is more straightforward...just my opinion.

There's this band called Ambulance LTD or something like that who I've been meaning to check out after hearing a short clip of one of their songs, but I keep forgetting to do it.

I agree with Hail to the Thief not being their best work -- hell, I started with Kid A, fell in love right away, and even I couldn't manage to appreciate much of HttT. I absolutely adore Amnesiac, also -- my favourite album of theirs, I think. I admit I need to listen to HttT more, though.

Thanks for the suggestion, Lancemc :up: I'll check them out

i just can't get into HttT for some reason. I think i just genuinely don't like it...at all....in fact i hate that album. I assolutely love Amnesiac though, my second fav by them....what the hell i'll list them all

1. The Bends
2. Amnesiac
3. Kid A
4. Pablo HOney
5. Ok COmputer
6. I might Be Wrong (live)
7. anything other than HttT
8. HttT :madspit:

Jack In The Box said:
maybe The Byrds and some other old bands

The Byrd's: must have songs include 'Mr Tambourine Man' and 'Turn, Turn, Turn'.

Other 'old' bands:

The Band - essential song is 'The Weight', must see video/dvd is 'The Last Waltz'.

Mamas and the Papas - must have songs are 'California Dreamin' and 'Monday, Monday'

Creedence Clearwater Revival - essential songs, just about everything they ever recorded :up:

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu (the album) is great. You can find 'Helpless', 'Woodstock'and 'Teach Your Children' here. :yes:

I'm not finished....let me think on this some more :hmm:

And thanks to all for the Radiohead suggestions

Back
Top Bottom