What are you reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
I'm currently reading Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale by Catherine Orenstein. It's a very interesting and often hilarious book. The author takes 10 tellings of the story and examines them in the context of their time and place.

From Charles Perrault's Little Red Riding Hood a cautionary tale to "good girls" about slick guys (wolves), to the brothers Grimm's Little Red Cap a tale pushing obedience, to the much more modern fare of The Punishment of Little Red Riding Hood, described in the index as fairy tale fetish (that one made me laugh!), and on to the movie Freeway, with a very self reliant chick.

I'm only about a third of the way through, but so far it's been a blast.

So...what are you reading?

Textbooks. :|

Currently: "The Ottoman Empire: 1922 to 19..." or something like that.

But the next fiction books I tackle (perhaps even during the semester!) are the "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass" by Philip Pullman.

i started reading crime & punishment for the....8th time...

i think i just really don't like dostoevsky.

I'm just getting started on a book called:

'The Japanese Mind' by Robert C. Christopher.

It's a book on Japanese culture for the most part, seems like it will be interesting.

Also reading a little from a Japanese Grammar book every day and some church stuff too.

I'm a terrible reader in the way that I have no problems starting books but can barely concentrate on finishing them. Because of that I'm always reading a couple of books at the time.

The books I'm reading:
- Double Standards (about Rudolf Hess flying to England)
- Eureka! (A science book)
- Sophie's World (Philosophy book, sorry Sula still haven't finished it :wink: )

I have to refrain myself for also starting on the new Mo Hayder book.

I will soon be squandering all my money on about 14 French and Spanish plays/ novels for my first semester (12 weeks) this year. I am now avoiding all books until that time. :up:

I have been dipping into Marquez's - Love in the time of cholera but haven't really got into it properly yet. I'm always too tired when I start reading it.

I have just finished 'I Was Bono's Doppelganger' which was fun.

And literally an hour ago I finished Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code' which is an incredible book. I read it in a day as I couldn't put it down. I'm now about to start 'Angels and Demons' by the same author :up:

i just finished we swam the grand canyon by bill beer.

back in the mid-fifties, two men who had never set foot in the grand canyon decided they could swim the colorado river through the canyon, rapids and all.

they made some two hundred and eighty miles in just a few weeks.

goal reached. :up:

but i still think you guys should read cruddy, by linda barry.

On my desk right now
- Wars of the Irish Kings - David Willis McCullough
- Keat's Poetical Works
- Iron in the soul - Jean-Paul Sartre
- Hendersons Dictionary of Biological Terms
- Cambell and Reece Biology (6th Ed)
- Vertebrate Paleontology of Australia

bammo2 said:
I have just finished 'I Was Bono's Doppelganger' which was fun.

And literally an hour ago I finished Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code' which is an incredible book. I read it in a day as I couldn't put it down. I'm now about to start 'Angels and Demons' by the same author :up:

Great book, the DaVinici Code. I didn't read Angels and Demons yet. Let us know how it was.

I just finished the first chapter in the 9/11 Commission Report. It was very interesting, but I don't know if I can make it through the entire book, I will probably be skipping around.

Angels and Demons is excellent! I read that before I started Da Vinci Code...I read both books in a total of 5 days lmao :up: That's how great I thought they were

I've just finished reading The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes ( hilarious Irish writer by the way...)

And I'm currently reading a psychiatry book called "Anxiety and its disorders: diagnosis and treatment"

Niamh_Saoirse said:
I've just finished reading The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes ( hilarious Irish writer by the way...)

I love her. I haven't read that one yet. It's on my ever-growing list.

I just finished 'Fire Along the Sky' by Sara Donati. I'm currently re-reading 'The Screwtape Letters' and I also just started 'The Butcher Boy' by Patrick McCabe.

ylimeU2 said:

I love her. I haven't read that one yet. It's on my ever-growing list.

I just finished 'Fire Along the Sky' by Sara Donati. I'm currently re-reading 'The Screwtape Letters' and I also just started 'The Butcher Boy' by Patrick McCabe.

I know! She's brilliant! :love: I have all her books and they all crack me up.

I got an email from her hubby the other day thanking me on her behalf! :up:

And the Screwtape Letters is one of the best books I ahve ever read.

Travel books on London (possible destination for a family vacation next year)

The Mighty 8th - stories of the US 8th Air Force during WWII

Right now I'm reading Stormy Weather by Carl Hiassen, along with the Complete Works of Washington Irving.

Niamh_Saoirse said:

I know! She's brilliant! :love: I have all her books and they all crack me up.

I got an email from her hubby the other day thanking me on her behalf! :up:

And the Screwtape Letters is one of the best books I ahve ever read.

I'll have to move "The Other Side of the Story" to the top of my list. It's been awhile since I read any fiction by her (Sushi for Beginners was the last one I read, or maybe Angels :shrug: ) and talking about it makes me want to get into it.

Have you read her collection of short non-fiction "Under the Duvet"? That's really good, too.

Last edited:
ylimeU2 said:

I'll have to move "The Other Side of the Story" to the top of my list. It's been awhile since I read any fiction by her (Sushi for Beginners was the last one I read, or maybe Angels :shrug: ) and talking about it makes me want to get into it.

Have you read her collection of short non-fiction "Under the Duvet"? That's really good, too.

Yes! Actually that was the first book I read. I wasn't really looking for a book but I came across this particular one when I bought a magazine that was giving away Under the Duvet. And I'm completely addicted to her writing since then! :yes:

Lots of uni academic crap for my graduate certificate in education, at the moment I am doing a real pain in the butt assignment on 'Language: Nature and Functions' and it is about lexical grammar, systemic functional linguistics and discourse analysis- I am HATING this assignment..........but on the lighter side I am reading a great book by Roald Dahl "Tales of the unexpected". It is a collection of adult short stories that all have a slight twilight zone feel to them- great stories:wink:

Back
Top Bottom