What are you reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Speaking with the Angel". It's a collection of short stories edited by Nick Hornby. I've had it for awhile, but I'm finally getting around to reading it. Unlike the dozens of other books on my shelf. :wink:

Niamh_Saoirse said:
I've just finished reading The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes ( hilarious Irish writer by the way...)

I got that for my birthday the other day

It's next in the pile, after Angels and Demons :up:

I :heart: Marian Keyes. Her books are just so escapist! You just open one and submerge yourself in a world of smiles :D

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:

But the next fiction books I tackle (perhaps even during the semester!) are the "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass" by Philip Pullman.

His Dark Materials :heart: My favourite series. I don't have my copies anymore (lost them in a fire) but I am dying to read them again. You'll love them :)

Okay, this doesn't really count.. but I just finished reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon yesterday. Took me about 4 days. Aside from a few dull moments, it was an excellent book. :up: Definitely one of the best, most enjoyable books I've ever read.

Renne said:
I hear so many people mentioning it, but what is 'His Dark Materials' about?

I suck at explaining plots, plus I haven't read the series for several years, so here's a good description from Amazon, of the first book:

Here lives an orphaned ward named Lyra Belacqua, whose carefree life among the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College is shattered by the arrival of two powerful visitors. First, her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, appears with evidence of mystery and danger in the far North, including photographs of a mysterious celestial phenomenon called Dust and the dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora Borealis that he suspects is part of an alternate universe. He leaves Lyra in the care of Mrs. Coulter, an enigmatic scholar and explorer who offers to give Lyra the attention her uncle has long refused her. In this multilayered narrative, however, nothing is as it seems. Lyra sets out for the top of the world in search of her kidnapped playmate, Roger, bearing a rare truth-telling instrument, the compass of the title. All around her children are disappearing—victims of so-called "Gobblers"—and being used as subjects in terrible experiments that separate humans from their daemons, creatures that reflect each person's inner being. And somehow, both Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are involved.

It is marketed usually as a children's book, but honestly I doubt very many kids would be able to understand it. It's very good and well-written, but a little hard to get into at first. I definitely recommend checking it out, though :up:

I'm reading The Wind in the Willows because I am teaching it to my seventh grade Lit/Comp classes. It's the first time I've ever read it. The chapter where Toad steals the car was quite entertaining. :up:

elevatedmole said:

It is marketed usually as a children's book, but honestly I doubt very many kids would be able to understand it. It's very good and well-written, but a little hard to get into at first. I definitely recommend checking it out, though :up:

Yeah, it's *really* heavy and dark for a children's series. I've only read "The Golden Compass" and I was surprised it's sold as kid's lit at all. The sexy scene between Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter alone...wow.

I have to say, it's the most incredible, believable fantasy world I've read since Tolkein.

It's also supposed to be a re-telling of Paradise Lost, but I haven't quite caught that yet. :wink:

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm reading The Wind in the Willows because I am teaching it to my seventh grade Lit/Comp classes. It's the first time I've ever read it. The chapter where Toad steals the car was quite entertaining. :up:

I LOVE that book!

It's time to re-read it, it's been too long!! And the illustrations are just awesome. :up:

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm reading The Wind in the Willows The chapter where Toad steals the car was quite entertaining. :up:
it holds a special place in my heart. I love Moley and Toad...poop poop! There is a great animated version of it.

I stumbled upon a book that my hub and son devoured in one sitting. I've just started it. Of course I bought it 2nd hand for $1 :up: But unbeknownst to myself it is Part One of a trilogy. I just paid $20 for book 2, at their request...book 3 will have to wait.
The Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn
Book One- Across The Nightingale Floor

dsmith2904 said:
I'm reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella (totally hilarious and hits very close to home)

Oh yeah! I've heard about that book! Well, I actually saw it when I was shopping for Marian Keyes books. I was about to take that one too.

Is it any good? ( I have the feeling it is because I can totally relate to the title:| )

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Oh yeah! I've heard about that book! Well, I actually saw it when I was shopping for Marian Keyes books. I was about to take that one too.

Is it any good? ( I have the feeling it is because I can totally relate to the title:| )

I'm really liking it, it's hard to put down. Similar tone to the Bridget Jones' books. My friends have read all three in the series and loved them.

I just began reading "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong.

I tried reading the first book of the Lord of the Rings, but the language was old-fashioned and I couldn't get into it. So I exchange that book for the one I got now.

Niamh_Saoirse said:

IMO, if you like Marian Keyes, you will love her books, too! And if you have even the slightest shopping compulsion, you will relate to it.

Also, if you haven't already read any of her stuff, check out Cathy Kelly. Similar to Keyes, but different enough to still be worth while.

dsmith2904 said:
I'm reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella

i read all three in that series on my way across country by train this summer. a three day, three thousand mile trip required lots of no-brainer books. if you like it, try reading her new book, can you keep a secret. it's almost identical to shopaholic. the only thing different were the names. plus i hear it's being made into a movie, and that's always fun.

anyway, the shopaholic books were cute, but i sure was glad when my brother accidentally left behind his copy of joseph heller's catch as catch can.

bonosgirl84 said:

i read all three in that series on my way across country by train this summer. a three day, three thousand mile trip required lots of no-brainer books. if you like it, try reading her new book, can you keep a secret. it's almost identical to shopaholic. the only thing different were the names. plus i hear it's being made into a movie, and that's always fun.

anyway, the shopaholic books were cute, but i sure was glad when my brother accidentally left behind his copy of joseph heller's catch as catch can.

Thanks for the tips, girls! I'm definately buying that book then!

As weird as this might sound, I think I have bought and read " Can you keep a secret" but I'm nto sure! :lol:

When I was living in Ireland I used to buy tons of books at Easons and I think that one was of them. Im not sure whether I left it back in Ireland or brought it home with me. :der:

Back
Top Bottom