What are you passionate about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way too many things, unfortunately.

I love books. New ones, old ones, textbooks, newspapers, scientific journals, you name it, I'll read it. Most of my time online is spent reading.

Music. I'll always listen to something, I find that I need music as background noise, and the bands I really love, I love seeing love. What a buzz.

Travelling. This is a big one. I make at least one trip out of the country a year for purely vacation purposes and it's been the best thing I've ever done. I'm considering going back to school in a year and a half and in that case, I'm planning on a world whirlwind in the months before it.

The research I do. It's interesting, it's relevant to my field and to people's lives by extension and there's never quite as good a feeling as getting a positive result. The feeling of new discovery and what one answer allows you to do in the future.

Dogs. Man's best friend, indeed. Endless love for the beasts of all shapes and sizes.

Art and architecture. In architecture, I really like pre-Romanesque Churches, because they are so distinct and many of them show the level of knowledge about celestial bodies and the equinox that you wouldn't expect at that time. Art - I love post-Impressionism, and I love the Renaissance. Oh, and medieval ivory and wood carvings. I'm just crazy about those things and if I were ever really wealthy, I'd surely have a huge collection.

I always loved too many things in life.

being in, on, or around water
canoeing (see above)
taking care of my family
gambling (i love a good table game)

Non-music related, my two biggest interests are Great Lakes ships and Barbie dolls.

Too many to list...

Reading - fiction, non-fiction, newspapers, internet, magazines - anything. I'm a total omnivore. I'm also a huge fantasy & sci-fi fan.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld - this really deserves its separate mention because I'm so obsessed with his books.

Music - love listening to it, reading about it, discussing it, seeing bands live.

Movies

Travel - I always try and get out overseas at least once a year. My next wish-list destinations are Europe and South America. I always like to travel around where I live, too.

Old computer games - my taste in games stopped evolving at around 1996, but I still love playing all those adventure/RPG golden oldies.

Cats - domestic cats, wild cats, big, small. I'm a 100% cat person and quite obsessed with them, :)

Belly dancing - I've only started 9 months ago but I'm absolutely loving it. It makes you feel so feminine and it also made me feel so much more comfortable and confident in my body.

Art - especially French Impressionists, although I'm interested in just about everything except perhaps some 20th century art that I simply don't get.

music
art
graphic design
travelling
pets
anime/manga
videogames
writing
movies

History...it's something people pay so little attention to and at such a great risk!

Books--I can't ever get enough to read. And after reading all year at college, I can't wait to come home and read "regular" things. :crack:

Movies--I'm a terrible Hollywood junkie too, I don't like to admit it, but I am.

Animals--especially my dogs.

I guess travel would be one, but I haven't been outside the U.S. yet! But I'm desperate to see the places I've read about.

I wish I could be more passionate about my writing--I love it, and my papers are flawless, but I'm not convinced anything non-scholarly I write is worth reading.

Anything Lord of the Rings. *cough*geek*cough*

The Church -- yeah, I'm pretty much as groupie as they're gonna get now.... :huh:

My animals -- currently horses, dogs, and cats (many, many cats). Have met very few animals I don't like. Wish I could say the same for humans. :ohmy:

Art/fine craft -- making (I do glass -- stained glass and fused), buying (mostly blown glass, turned and carved wood, and paintings/pastels from a favourite artist :D ), and promoting (I help put on three art and craft shows a year, and am now beginning to do some art rep. work -- currently only for the above mentioned fave artist, but would like to expand that in time).

smelling the flowers while I can :up:

travelling, spending times with the people important to me

Last edited:
contemporary art ( as in living artists and not dead warhols )

pop philosophy ( i don't profess to be an expert but I like making intuitive jumps and connections between things )

books ( i used to work for the library and it fulfilled every fetish of mine re: books, eg I got to brush the dust off the entire book collection with squirrel bristles )

film

tori amos

feminism.

foray

life , cars
music
sex , love , movies
coffee
spaceballs
guitars
radio
nature
space
the world
Genesis
food
Fed ex - i paid for 24 hour delivery , they said 4pm , i was at home 1230 pm , they delivered the package , put a sign on my door and took a package somewhere outside this galaxy , and i paid for 1st day delivery , i'm passionate about them , about fedex , it's a shame

I have to say I'm am probably most passionate about my music. I always have to have it on at least in the background....I truly am amazed at the ability that music has to reach and personally touch people...it's the language of the heart to me.

I'm also a huge bibliophile. I love reading just about everything and I'll go through spurts where I will accumlate all of one author's books or a ton of books on the same subject. Right now I am really falling in love with Pablo Neruda's poetry...:drool:

I'm also one of those wierd people who'd like to think that they can change the world....:wink: I'm very passionate about humananitarian issues such as global AIDS and human rights and whatnot. Amnesty International, Oxfam...all that kinda stuff.

Photography....it's amazing how someone can see the same thing I do but capture it in this beautiful way. Black and white photography is my favorite. I've gotten an SLR camera and have taken a few classes but being a broke college student I can't really afford the film and developing....

Travel. I have been to Egypt, Greece, Jamaica, Canada, India and Japan. I really want to go to Ireland and Russia though. I love learning foreign languages...and although I'm not great I do speak a bit of Spanish, French and Italian...plus alot of dirty Russian words :p

Writing. I wish I was more passionate about it becuase my family and friends think I have a talent for it but to be honest I have about zero confidence in myself on that one...

Spirituality really fascinates me too....I won't get started on that or I'll be here all day...

MrsSpringsteen said:

chocolate, unfortunately

:laugh:

the things i enjoy in life, i love with abandon:

books -- i always have at least two or three on the go at once, and i frequently stay up waaayyy past my bedtime because i can't just put the book down. loved reading since i was a tot.

history -- my first love, sparked by my mom buying me 'the diary of anne frank' when i was 8, culminating with my bachelors degree in modern european history

cuisine of all types -- my best friend and neighbour in law school is originally from india, and she got me hooked on all sorts of indian delicacies. thai, greek, french, german, chinese (real chinese food, not greasy egg rolls)... i taught myself to make my own veggie sushi. :drool: and let's not even mention the chocolate. and the cheesecake. and....

tea -- i am a tea slut. i have so many different kinds of tea that i could probably open my own shop at this point. my favourite: tazo chai. :drool:

music -- obviously, U2, but i also love angry girl singers, international music, jazz, house

shoes -- the higher the heel, the better. (i don't want to know what they're doing to my back--ignorance is bliss)

my driving passion in life is international human rights, especially the legal aspects (that's why i went to law school). women's rights, in particular. the politics of oppression, gender, poverty, AIDS, racism.

writing -- when everyone in university was moaning about essays, i was having the time of my life. i love the research process, and the writing process (even though it's elusive and eternally frustrating by times). when i had my first article published (about international sex trafficking in southeast Asia), it was the best moment of my life.

learning new things

laughter

when i have a little cash at my disposal, i plan on becoming a hardcore travel junkie.

oh, and i love a good nap.

Back
Top Bottom