What are the holidays like in Australia and other warm climates? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:54 AM
What are the holidays like in Australia and other warm climates?

I was wondering how it is experiencing summer when so much of the world is experiencing winter? So much of our culture...dreaming of a white Christmas...walking in a winter wonderland...jingle bells...etc are such popular seasonal songs. In the states, even if we live in a warm climate we see all of the cold on the news. Also, our holiday foods, turkey, cookies, eggnog are very cold weather foods.

Do you guys spend Christmas and New Years out by the pool? And another question, do people in Austrailia decorate their homes with lights? That is really big here in the states. Everyone decorates their homes with lights.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:54 PM
I live in Singapore, and there's never ever been snow. OK, no snow at all.

I don't really celebrate Christmas much, but there's all the usual among most people - shopping, gatherings, trees, tinsel, stupid santa hats, whatnot. The churches have their usual Christmas services.

That's about all. I do have a New Year's party which is standard bring-your-PS2 stuff.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Gee, U2valleygirl, not wishing to be rude, but you make us living in Australian sound like we live on another planet (lol). Perhaps we do.
Yes, it is summer, very hot and humid. Sadly, most of the country is in a drought.
Currently Sydney is experiencing very violent thunderstorms in the late afternoon, and soon the bushfires will start (sadly).
A typical Aussie Christmas lunch is seafood on the BBQ. The hot Christmas roast is long gone. The beaches are crowded and many Christmas lunches are around the pool.
It is 6.30pm Christmas eve, the fan is on and I am wearing just shorts and a t-shirt.
10 years ago, I lived in London for 3 years. Cold, winter and it snowed for two Christmas winters. For me that was a real Christmas. Also have been in New York in December and the smell of roasted Chester nuts was fantastic. Oh, the black snow in the streets was yuck.
That is what makes this world so great, we can travel and enjoy different styles of life.
And yes, many family’s decorate their homes in lights and in some suburbs it is a competition. A lot also raise money for charities.
Wherever you are in your part of the world, enjoy your Christmas day.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:54 AM
My cousin is spending her first Christmas in Australia this year. She says it isn't the same and she is rather homesick right about now. I can't feel too sorry for her though because she will be spending Boxing Day at the beach.

I don't think it is that strange for someone who grew up in that sort of climate because they are used to it. That is the way it has always been for them so it doesn't seem different.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:54 PM
I've been living in Australia for nine years and I -still- can't get my head around the fact that December means summer, not winter.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:54 PM
not to unnessecarely sidetrack this thread, but
where are you originally from Saracene?

I am very interested in aussie immigrants
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 03:54 PM
europeans have lots of lights at crimbo too

the house opposite me looks like santa has thrown up on it
Old 12-24-2004, 03:04 AM   #8
shy
War Child

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Here in Brazil we have summer holidays, Xmas Tree, lights, Santa Claus whith winter clothes...the same of Europeun and American Xmas. We eat turkey, Seasons fruits, Panetonne...and summer fruits like melon, watermelon, mangos,peachs, grapes, cherries
At NY Eve we go to the beach to watch the fireworks, we wear white clothes, and we have champagne at midnight hour.
Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 03:39 AM   #9
Refugee

Fireworks here in the Philippines. It's great to have no winter here so golf is all year round.

Cheers,

J
Old 12-24-2004, 04:17 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Seafood and beach or pool for us. Very casual. I havent known it any other way so its not weird for me.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:18 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome

where are you originally from Saracene?
With a username like "Saracene" can I take a guess?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:35 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Down Under
A typical Aussie Christmas lunch is seafood on the BBQ. The hot Christmas roast is long gone.
or, y'know, NOT. that's a bit of a gross generalisation. maybe all the people you know don't have them, but you don't live in every area of australia, so of course, what happens elsewhere is not going to be the same as where you live.

my family, all my relatives families, we all have cooked roast dinners. we have cold meat and salads for tea. we tend not to have christmas pudding, but fruit salad and pavlova instead.

christmas used to be inside in the air conditioning, but since we renovated, the family dinner has been taken outside.

to me christmas in summer is the normal thing to do. i honestly can't imagine what a cold christmas would be like. apart from the fac that it would be - to me - wrong, because it's not what i'm used to.

just to those who have cold and/or white christmas's can't imagine how fantastic christmas in summer is!
Old 12-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:54 AM
I grew up in South Africa, and let me tell you, Christmas there is nothing compared to Christmas in colder climates. It was rather sad, actually... We used to go to my aunt's house in Melkboss to unwrap gifts and whatnot - she used some of that fake frost on the windows to make it appear as though it was actually cold outside, when in fact it was above 30 degrees.

But I suppose it was nice to be able to sit outside after all the gift-unwrapping was done and have an afternoon braai with the family...then go off to the beach a little later on for a swim. Can't do that here in Canada.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:01 AM   #14
New Yorker

It's a bit stereotypical, but here are the words to "Jingle Bells" Australian style....

Dashing through the bush,
in a rusty Holden Ute,
Kicking up the dust,
esky in the boot,
Kelpie by my side,
singing Christmas songs,
It's Summer time and I am in
my singlet, shorts and thongs

Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Christmas in Australia on a scorching summers day, Hey!
Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut !,
Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.

Engine's getting hot;
we dodge the kangaroos,
The swaggie climbs aboard,
he is welcome too.
All the family's there,
sitting by the pool,
Christmas Day the Aussie way,
by the barbecue.

Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut!,

Come the afternoon,
Grandpa has a doze,
The kids and Uncle Bruce,
are swimming in their clothes.
The time comes 'round to go,
we take the family snap,
Pack the car and all shoot through,
before the washing up.

Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut!,

Even though I have lived in Australia for most of my life, Christmas still seems weird because it is hot.

Oh, just realised the time "Merry Christmas" everybody....
Old 12-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:54 AM
We only got snow a couple days ago, although it was chilly before, so I finally got a tiny taste of what Christmas would be like if I didn't live in the Midwest. And I have to agree completely -- although snow and the cold can really be awful and bog you down, Christmas isn't Christmas without it. It's the least Christmassy Christmas I've ever had because it just didn't have that same feeling. I can't imagine how disconcerting it would to be celebrating it in the heat of summer.