What are the holidays like in Australia and other warm climates? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 12-24-2004, 08:31 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:32 AM
Originally posted by bammo2
europeans have lots of lights at crimbo too

the house opposite me looks like santa has thrown up on it
There are a set of houses on a road near where we live that have gone overboard for christmas, it actually hurts to look at them. They are covered (even the fences between their driveways) in twinkling lights, massive decorations and one even has the nativity scene infront of their gargae (the figures are about 4 foot). It's really awful.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 08:32 PM
[q]Christmas Shrimp Back on the Barbie Down Under

Fri Dec 24, 7:43 AM ET - Reuters

By James Regan

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Forget last-minute gift shopping. Australians on Christmas Eve were flocking to fish markets in a late dash for shrimps after weather forecasters predicted mild weather over the holiday.

For generations, "shrimp on the barbie" has been to Australians what turkey with all the trimmings is to millions in colder climates.

But in Christmases past, the bone-dry winds that blow off the outback have fanned deadly fires that ringed the country's densely populated, leafy coastal cities, forcing authorities to ban barbecuing over Christmas.

One holiday season, ashes blanketed many of Sydney's otherwise pristine beaches. Another year, fires killed four people and chased koalas, bats and kangaroos out of the bush on to roads and into manicured suburban neighborhoods.

In 2002, hundreds of people were left homeless in Sydney after 109 homes burned to the ground.

"They might as well have canceled Christmas the year they banned barbecues," said Edward O'Reilly, who was planning to feed friends and relatives about 4 kg (9 lb) of shrimp this Christmas on Manly Beach in Sydney.

It may not be snow, but the muggy, wet forecast for Dec. 25 means people can pile plates high with shrimp.

Australians in Sydney alone will buy enough shrimp to cover a soccer field, paying on average about $26 (US$20) a kg, according to fishmongers.

"I've never seen so many people wanting shrimp," said Peter Poulos, owner of Peter's Fish Market, who has been wrapping shrimp for customers for 36 hours straight.

"We've probably sold 10,000 kg over the last 36 hours. Sales have been phenomenal, mate," Poulos said. [/q]

Old 12-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Interesting article.

I will also be having some shrimp tonight, it just wont be on the barbie!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Don't get me wrong, I hate winter and I hate snow and I despise the cold.

But I would not trade anything for Christmas Eve in front of the fireplace with the family. There is simply nothing like it.

Oh, and also, anyone who lives in a REALLY cold place (no, Western Europe don't count ) knows that exquisite feeling of the first day of spring - when you're walking outside and it's still cold and there is still snow out but the sun feels different, and you can just smell spring is in the air. It's incredible.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:15 AM   #20
Local Time: 07:32 PM
I had my first brush with Australians this past summer and they were telling me what Xmas is typically for them. Hard to imagine! Things are so different in the S. hemisphere.