what are essays good for? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomer
see
thats what i mean

why do i need to make 5 of them this year?

and why does everyone get mad if i get them from the internet?
You only have to read and do reports of five books?!?

Old 10-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:59 PM
only?

only?

shut up!

Old 10-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Oh yeah, I LOVE "A Good Man is Hard to Find!"
I LOVE Flannery O'Conner.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What I think I'm getting at is the notion that for most people, they can't find apply analytic skills to "real" life. It's really sad. I go to a small liberal arts school, and most of the people here think that they're here for job training. There is NOTHING about job training in the school's mission statement. The point of a liberal arts education is to introduce one to various schools of thought, and teach you how to think for yourself. It's really frustrating. I think I was in severe sarcastic mode when I posted that. I actually think that for someone interested in personal growth and development, writing is vital. But to most people, it really doesn't mean much. Hope that clarifies my perspective, if I even agree with the perspective I took earlier.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Essays are HARD and I'm always surprised when people say they LOVE essays b/c they're so much easier than reciting facts in the form of a test. My bf wrote this term paper and I offered to look it over b/c he was going on about how much he loved to write and how much easier it was. Let me just say there wasn't a SINGLE sentence in 10 solid pages of his writing that I didn't have to revise in some way. Maybe it's just the schools I go to, but just the format and structure of the essay alone is almost impossible to perfect, no matter what you actually had to say. However, I'd rather do essays than projects though b/c I can work on my own at my own pace and get feedback when I feel like I need it. For a test, I'd rather have a more objective test than all-essay tests (which unfortunately almost all of my college tests are).
Old 10-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I love writing essays, but I'm a horrible procrastinator. The school I go to, depending on the professor, is more interested in the coherence of the argument, and tend to get annoyed when people follow formulaic essay standards. They really don't like the "Broad statement, specific statement, thesis, these are my points" introductions, even though they still like the body to be more or less formatted that way.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I love writing essays, but I'm a horrible procrastinator.

Same here...procrastinating is what I'm doing now

At the mo I'm doing about 2-3 essays a week (plus other work)...I just wanna sleep tonight
Old 10-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I love writing essays, but I'm a horrible procrastinator.
Oh, I was a terrible procrastinator as well! Starting any essay or term paper (including research!) more than 24 hours before it was due was what I considered "well in advance." I do better under pressure. And it's more fun that way too.

Quote:
What I think I'm getting at is the notion that for most people, they can't find apply analytic skills to "real" life. It's really sad. I go to a small liberal arts school, and most of the people here think that they're here for job training. There is NOTHING about job training in the school's mission statement. The point of a liberal arts education is to introduce one to various schools of thought, and teach you how to think for yourself.
Agreed! I still have to tell people that a liberal arts education isn't vocational school! (Nothing wrong with vocational school, but you don't go to vocational school expecting to study liberal arts.)
Old 10-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
What is the purpose of ANYTHING?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM   #25
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomer
see
thats what i mean

why do i need to make 5 of them this year?

and why does everyone get mad if i get them from the internet?
are you shitting me? I used to teach English in college and I had my students read a book (GASP!) and write summaries because, unfortunately, so many of my freshmen students couldn't get out a full sentence when speaking let alone when writing! I know it seems lame, but being able to think out a long piece of writing (the book) and summarize it (your report) shows the teacher that you can think. Plus, learning how to summarize well helped in the next class when paraphrasing information (and not just copying it!) was VERY important. Oh, and getting it off the web--so NOT a good idea! Teachers know when you've bullshitted them. They know when, all of a sudden, one student is writing WAY better than s/he used to. I had a student who did that. Needless to say, I nailed him and he got a big, fat F for it. Boy, I bet his momma was glad she paid for that class...not
Old 10-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Welcome to the real world. You don't get to show up at work and say "how come I have to do THIS many experiments today? what's it good for?"

Learning to be a competent writer is one of the most important skills out in the professional world.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I agree. I really don't like doing much writing outside of literary discussion/criticism/analysis, but I know I'm a better writer and better prepared for my future by having written in social sciences, political science, natural sciences, etc. I don't care much for the subjects, but being a versatile writer is beneficial in that it also helps me incorporate interdisciplinary perspective into my writing. It's next to impossible to avoid talking about history, politics, or philosophy when analyzing any significant literary work.