what a way to start your day - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:19 PM
what a way to start your day

I am tired of all this.

My subway got stuck at a stop for 20 minutes.

I got to Wall Street and because I work across the street from the Stock Exchange, I see things. Well, today I arrived at work and had to say excuse me to 4 NYC police officers with gas masks strapped to their legs. I thought that was curious so I looked around a little and there were 4 cops, or special service officers (the guys who are allowed to carry machine guns) on each corner in the area. Yes, they all had gas masks strapped to their legs.

I got to my office and my sister had called. She told me that she decided we all need a meeting place in the city and it would be my apartment. I asked what the meeting place was for and she said, "...so when something happens we have a place to meet."

Not if, but when.

You see she was unable to contact her husband who also worked down here on Sept. 11th.

I am upset because there is so much fear in NYC right now. Everyone is afraid of everything. I am a bit ambivalent after seeing Bowling for Columbine as one of the main themes of that movie is how the media keeps us in fear. Is that what is happeing right now? Or should I really be afraid?

I have a small acorn of an idea in the very back of my head that George W Bush is somehow going to get me killed. It does not make me happy, but I think what if he backed down a bit and stopped all the threats? Would the threats against us stop? Or do we have to kill everyone in Iraq first to find out. Is there evern a real threat against us?

I dunno - I am babbling, I am just tired of going through multiple levels of security to go to my job.

I am glad I am off to Vegas and I simply feel like quoting Benicio Del Toro here from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:

"...God hell! I think I see the pattern! This one sounds like real trouble! You're going to need plenty of legal advice before this thing is over. As your attorney I must advise you that you'll need a very fast car with no top and after that, the cocaine. And then the tape recorder, for special music, and some Acapulco shirts... This blows my weekend, because naturally I'll have to go with you -- and we'll have to arm ourselves..."

Blah

Old 02-12-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
Bordering Purgatory

Local Time: 04:19 PM
i would not want to live or be in new york. i dont blame you.

i will make you hurt
Old 02-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 02:19 PM
ah yes, but "why not? if a thing like this is worth doing at all, it's worth doing right..."

poor new yorkers...my brother works half a block from the empire state and he suffers this twitchiness too. says he could crawl out of his skin with the nerves. i pray for him every day. god bless you all...
Old 02-12-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

god that must really suck. i've really been thinking of you new yorkers lately. it must be pretty scary. it's scary everywhere but it must be even tougher in new york. your sister certainly has good reason to want a meeting place.

being scared sucks.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

nice follow through Bonos girl...

Love the avatar too.

I cannot wait to get outta Dodge and hit the desert...
Old 02-12-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:19 PM

Thats bloody horrible. And i thought i was at risk just cus i'm by a naval base.
My house mates flew to NYC last week for a long weekend (i don't know where they got the money for it) they didn't say anything about it being tense, but then i guess they don't live there.
Hope you're ok buddy!
Old 02-12-2003, 11:23 AM   #7
Acrobat

Location: Chicago...looking at my awesome view of the Sear's Tower
Re: what a way to start your day

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
I am tired of all this.

I got to Wall Street and because I work across the street from the Stock Exchange, I see things. Well, today I arrived at work and had to say excuse me to 4 NYC police officers with gas masks strapped to their legs. I thought that was curious so I looked around a little and there were 4 cops, or special service officers (the guys who are allowed to carry machine guns) on each corner in the area. Yes, they all had gas masks strapped to their legs.
Yikes! I get nervous when I see rent-a-cops with dogs at my
"L" stop (I live in Chicago). I can't imagine what I would
feel to see special service officers with machine guns!!

Quote:

I am upset because there is so much fear in NYC right now. Everyone is afraid of everything. I am a bit ambivalent after seeing Bowling for Columbine as one of the main themes of that movie is how the media keeps us in fear. Is that what is happeing right now? Or should I really be afraid?
Hmmm... I kinda feel that the media does keep us in fear.
If something did happen (God forbid), the public would
be angry that they were not forewarned. On the other
hand, what can we possibly do to keep safe from bological or
nuclear threat?? I think you should go about your everyday
business and your sister has good sense.

Quote:
I am glad I am off to Vegas
Good, have fun and be careful!! Meaning, don't do anything
I would do
Old 02-12-2003, 11:47 AM   #8
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I'm scared too and I live near SF. They're watching the bridges over here closely. I dont think anywhere in the US is safe if something happens. I think this is all stupid. George Bush is the worst president we've ever had

And I think this thread should stay here rather than fym so some of us that dont frequent fym can share our opinions as well.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

ouizy
Old 02-12-2003, 12:05 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
And I think this thread should stay here rather than fym so some of us that dont frequent fym can share our opinions as well.
The only reason why I posted it here...

This sucks...

The reasopn why it sucks so much is that people are literally sitting here in fear, but what if there was actually nothing at all to fear. How do we KNOW something MAY happen?

I think we are all just looking forwward to the end of the day...
Old 02-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Being in the Heartland I havent really felt scared since there doesnt appear to be any obvious targets but then it pops into my head that it wouldnt really matter... we could be more of a target than anywhere else...the natural assumption is that they would go after a larger city etc. I'm concerned definitely but I try not to be scared. The best thing it to be aware but still go about as normal. If we beginning living in constant fear that is a point scored for them.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:56 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Re: what a way to start your day

Quote:
I thought that was curious so I looked around a little and there were 4 cops, or special service officers (the guys who are allowed to carry machine guns) on each corner in the area. Yes, they all had gas masks strapped to their legs.
It sounds like we have caught up with the rest of the world. I can recall similar sites in London, Paris, Rome, and Cairo over the years.

Fear does generate good ratings for the media - but leaves us with a pit in our stomachs.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:02 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal i really need to stop watching the news

Quote:
The reasopn why it sucks so much is that people are literally sitting here in fear, but what if there was actually nothing at all to fear. How do we KNOW something MAY happen?

I think we are all just looking forwward to the end of the day...
exactly. it blows.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:14 PM   #14
Bordering Purgatory

Re: Re: what a way to start your day

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Fear does generate good rating for the media
it doesnt? working for a newspaper, i know that a killer on the prowl is more likely to make page one than a $500,000 donation.
i will make you hurt
Old 02-12-2003, 02:28 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 PM
I'm right there with you. I'm tired of coming to work everyday and having to give my emergency contact numbers to someone for the 9,000th time, getting memos about "escape hood" training, waking up to signs all over my apartment building about shutting off the water supply in case it's poisoned, hearing my boss (who knows classified information) saying it's "not a matter of if but when," reading all this crap about plastic sheets and duct tape (won't that cut off all the air supply??), and being told that if there's a chemical or biological attack, we might be stuck here for up to ten days. It doesn't even seem here like security has really been stepped up.

I hate that everything I've ever wanted in my life is supposed to come together in six and a half months, but now my life is apparently in danger just because I work on Capitol Hill in a job I don't even like.

It's REALLY taking a toll on me and I'm sure Sam is tired of me whining about it constantly and calling him after he's gone to bed to cry for three hours.