Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:

Suuuure, blame the tiredness and typos... :wink:

:laugh: Considering I spelt it right in all other instances, I think it's safe to say it was a typo. You can't talk, Ms "Lichtenstein". :wink:

Alisaura said:

My IE is screwed up too... yesterday it had no toolbars or navigation bars or anything... then some of it came back but it's still all messed up.

:grumpy:

You use IE? :tsk:

Axver said:
I'm entirely convinced the invention of Guinness preceded the invention of the Irish Gaelic language by roughly 30 minutes.
I saw a cartoon once that documented ancient Ireland and the invention of beer or Guinness... thousands of years ago it was a space-age high-tech society of geniuses... then "Hey, try this new beverage Paddy invented..."

Cue collapse of civilisation. :wink:

Alisaura said:

I saw a cartoon once that documented ancient Ireland and the invention of beer or Guinness... thousands of years ago it was a space-age high-tech society of geniuses... then "Hey, try this new beverage Paddy invented..."

:lol: I think I've seen that!

Axver said:

What fucked over the Moriori is that they were pacifists. They were descended from ... I think the Ngai Tahu in Canterbury, but after a few hundred years of isolation on the Chatham Islands away from mainland Maori, they developed their own cultural identity. Part of this was that they were pacifists. The resource balance on the Chathams was so delicate that it simply could not sustain war, so they developed a system of peaceful conflict resolution. When a Maori tribe from Taranaki invaded in the 1830s, they stuck rigidly to their pacifist system and got completely and utterly decimated.

Also, regarding China, you guys need some of those honourable men to replace the current fools in power. Somebody who doesn't need to measure the size of his country like it's the size of his dick and is willing to just let Tibet go.

Once again, ouch. Being invaded and wiped out by others kinda sucks, although I guess you couldn't complain about it after? That's the only problem I have with pacifism - it's all well and good to avoid violence and bloodshed, but at some point someone's gonna want to screw you over; what do you do?

And, I think I should be in charge of China. Or better yet, one of the more progressive emperors. I think the thing with China is that it's had land for so bloody long, it can't accept letting go. "What would my ancestors say!"

It always amazes me looking at Chinese history; they could've had several industrial revolutions and taken over the world the way America sort of has about 200 years ago, but were set back by their own bureaucracy, politics and the fact that they didn't really need industrialisation thanks to the shitload of workers they ad.

Hey Urine Appreciator, we showed your little Vazza/PFan thing up in a big way. Kiwis for the win!

major_panic said:
gluey 320
Axver 227

Gluey beat Andrew's record for most posts in a thread (he had 317 in Te Urewera).

We sure as hell did not arse around in Giggleswick.

Alisaura said:

That was Family Guy, right? :hmm:

The Sad Punk said:

So Gaelic was invented in 1789?

No. Everything before 1789 is a booze-filled haze. It's the earliest known date of Guinness's existence, much like we know An Cat Dubh did not debut on the date given on U2VT but everything before is lost in the haze.

phillyfan26 said:
Morning ... holy shit, new thread.

Morning PFan,

poster38600997.jpg

n628297951_783514_3550.jpg

poster72462236.jpg

Varitek said:
hey peefan. i like your sig. and it's funny that diamond had you on ignore. i'm pretty sure he has me on ignore.

The funny thing was that he would tell people about it like it was a feather in his cap. He'd often post his ignore list when he didn't feel like replying.

And, yes, you're in:

08ticket.jpg

Despite being greatly outnumbered by Aussies and Kiwis, we were heroes ... just for one day.

major_panic said:
Once again, ouch. Being invaded and wiped out by others kinda sucks, although I guess you couldn't complain about it after? That's the only problem I have with pacifism - it's all well and good to avoid violence and bloodshed, but at some point someone's gonna want to screw you over; what do you do?

And, I think I should be in charge of China. Or better yet, one of the more progressive emperors. I think the thing with China is that it's had land for so bloody long, it can't accept letting go. "What would my ancestors say!"

It always amazes me looking at Chinese history; they could've had several industrial revolutions and taken over the world the way America sort of has about 200 years ago, but were set back by their own bureaucracy, politics and the fact that they didn't really need industrialisation thanks to the shitload of workers they ad.

Yeah. It's no secret I'm a pacifist, but I'm what's called a "weak" pacifist, while the Moriori were "strong" pacifists (though perhaps the terms would be better swapped!). Weak pacifism believes violence can be justified in case of self-defence. The Moriori actually had a debate amongst their elders about whether to employ violent defence or to stick to their complete refusal to fight. They made the fateful decision not to resist.

What I don't get about the Tibet situation as opposed to, say, Taiwan, is that Tibet has been an independent country within living memory. I could imagine the difficulty that could be had with giving up other parts of the country, but Tibet's left me a little baffled.

The Sad Punk said:
My head is slowing down in that whole thinking thing, and also I gotta be at the airport tomorrow morning. So I'll see you doggs later. :wave:

Have a good one, Bonnie! :wave:

Axver said:

Yeah. It's no secret I'm a pacifist, but I'm what's called a "weak" pacifist, while the Moriori were "strong" pacifists (though perhaps the terms would be better swapped!). Weak pacifism believes violence can be justified in case of self-defence. The Moriori actually had a debate amongst their elders about whether to employ violent defence or to stick to their complete refusal to fight. They made the fateful decision not to resist.

What I don't get about the Tibet situation as opposed to, say, Taiwan, is that Tibet has been an independent country within living memory. I could imagine the difficulty that could be had with giving up other parts of the country, but Tibet's left me a little baffled.

I think they left Taiwan because they couldn't do all that much to get it back - a stretch of water filled with democracy-loving people with big guns sort of hinders you. With Tibet, I guess theyr'e just trying to prove their superiority. I'm sure the fact that the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of most of the Chinese nation, and lives in Tibet making statements against China, doesn't help either.

Axver said:
You use IE? :tsk:
I tried Firefox and prefer IE... maybe just cos I'm used to it, although I don't like the new version of IE much (too much like firefox!). I've never had a problem with it 'til now. :mad:

Seeya Bonnie! :wave:

Looks like the natural order of things has almost been restored:

Axver 50
major_panic 44
Varitek 30
Alisaura 28
The Sad Punk 24
RavenBlue 9
gluey 8
mysterious_jen 6
phillyfan26 2

PFan just needs to climb up a bit and we're back to normal!

major_panic said:
Looks like the natural order of things has almost been restored:

Axver 50
major_panic 44
Varitek 30
Alisaura 28
The Sad Punk 24
RavenBlue 9
gluey 8
mysterious_jen 6
phillyfan26 2

PFan just needs to climb up a bit and we're back to normal!

Won't be able to, going to a funeral.

You know what sucks about funerals, you know, besides the death? Clothes that need to be ironed. I'm so glad I don't voluntarily wear clothes that need to be ironed, it's such a pain in the ass.

phillyfan26 said:

You know what sucks about funerals, you know, besides the death? Clothes that need to be ironed. I'm so glad I don't voluntarily wear clothes that need to be ironed, it's such a pain in the ass.

The only person I know who does on a regular basis is Ax.

major_panic said:

I think they left Taiwan because they couldn't do all that much to get it back - a stretch of water filled with democracy-loving people with big guns sort of hinders you. With Tibet, I guess theyr'e just trying to prove their superiority. I'm sure the fact that the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of most of the Chinese nation, and lives in Tibet making statements against China, doesn't help either.

Heh, the Dalai Lama's been awesome. I love the completely stupid desperation of the Chinese authorities to try to get their own man instated as the next Dalai Lama. That brings the lulz, and you know it's doomed to failure.

phillyfan26 said:

But almost all clothes need to be ironed. I don't know what the fuck you people are wearing. I don't want to go out looking like a scruff with creased clothing. Though when it's winter, I can get away with not ironing my shirts because they're hidden under my blazer!

Fall/Winter: T-shirt, jeans, sweatshirt.

Spring/Summer: T-shirt, shorts.

What do you wear?

Alisaura said:

I tried Firefox and prefer IE... maybe just cos I'm used to it, although I don't like the new version of IE much (too much like firefox!). I've never had a problem with it 'til now. :mad:

I was used to IE too, but after a couple of weeks I got used to Firefox. Now I absolutely can't stand IE.

Plus, there's the whole matter of IE being full of security holes that really puts me off.

IE's security holes made it so bad that it crashes my computer when I use it. Thus, I use Firefox, and, quite frankly, it's ten times better than IE. Tabbed browsing FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom