Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
So a few nights ago at around midnight I drew this:
fhaiy8.gif

I don't know why?

superwin?

major_panic said:

I remember reading about that, and thinking something like "if you pansies can't take the sight of them performing a war dance, you're gonna deserve what you get for making them do it indoors".

I didn't fully get the details of the dispute, and it seemed both sides were rather unwilling to compromise on the matter. But the end result was just that the Welsh got themselves totally fucked over. They played their cards in absolutely the wrong way and nothing they could do on-field was going to fix it.

Also, I love how at home games, Australia's been trying to create some sort of Haka response by getting some musician to lead the crowd in a Waltzing Matilda sing-along. That makes me laugh. It deserves a poster:

HAKA RESPONSE
You're doing it wrong.

Doing martial arts doesn't psych you up enough on its own, maj.?

Also, should not have had coke with dinner. Not at all tired and it's nearly bed time. :crack:

The Sad Punk said:
Hey, Ax, apparently the Isle of Man did the whole women's suffrage thing, albeit not as an independent nation, before NZ. Being Manx myself, I think it is appropriate that you no longer pay out the shitty country I live in just because we're not as good as New Zealand.

:lol: Yeah, there were a few non-independent entities who did it first. Though was the Manx one limited to property-holding women? I know some were, but I can't remember which.

Also, that's pretty fucking cool that you're of Manx descent. In about 2003 or so, I tried to teach myself some of the Manx language as it looks really fascinating, but it was hard to do it as a bit of a lone wolf, and I completely sucked at the pronunciation.

Axver said:

I didn't fully get the details of the dispute, and it seemed both sides were rather unwilling to compromise on the matter. But the end result was just that the Welsh got themselves totally fucked over. They played their cards in absolutely the wrong way and nothing they could do on-field was going to fix it.

Also, I love how at home games, Australia's been trying to create some sort of Haka response by getting some musician to lead the crowd in a Waltzing Matilda sing-along. That makes me laugh. It deserves a poster:

HAKA RESPONSE
You're doing it wrong.

The only way to respond to the haka, I've concluded, is to either look like you don't give a damn or to pull out some equally awesome war-dance.

Pity the Aussies can't really do it though, unless they pull out an Aboriginal war dance (if such things exist? I'm sure they do).

Alisaura said:
Also, I love how the dude made the first comment, said "Yay, first comment!" without actually commenting on the vid... and then there were no more comments.

:giggle:

<--- easily amused

:laugh:

I didn't notice that. I as a rule ignore YouTube comments. They seem to be made by the stupidest people on the planet most of the time.

Alisaura said:
Doing martial arts doesn't psych you up enough on its own, maj.?

Also, should not have had coke with dinner. Not at all tired and it's nearly bed time. :crack:

Nah, the haka is much more primitive and brutal. Chinese martial arts are too pretty and flowery most of the time, and when you do a brutal, primitive performance, you just end up tired because odds are you've been doing flying kicks all around the place.

major_panic said:

The only way to respond to the haka, I've concluded, is to either look like you don't give a damn or to pull out some equally awesome war-dance.

Pity the Aussies can't really do it though, unless they pull out an Aboriginal war dance (if such things exist? I'm sure they do).

Oh, I don't doubt there's a fucking sweet Aboriginal response they could do. But considering that getting to the National Apology was like pulling teeth, and Aboriginal culture might as well not exist in the public consciousness, I don't see it happening for a while.

Another problem, of course, is the fact Aboriginal players are fairly rare on the Wallabies. The All Blacks always has its fair share of Maoris and Pacific Islanders, or people with at least some Maori blood in them.

Axver said:
I didn't notice that. I as a rule ignore YouTube comments. They seem to be made by the stupidest people on the planet most of the time.
They are. Sometimes there are interesting bits of trivia (usually by interferencers), but usually it's utter drivel, or a flame war.

I just notice stupid little things like that. :shrug:

major_panic said:
That's it, I've got to learn the haka now and use it to psyche myself up before performing martial arts. Or something. I just want an excuse to do it.

:lol: :up: I can at least teach you the correct pronunciation of the words!

Youtube comments are usually awful, but sometimes they're so bad they're worth reading just to make you laugh.

Axver said:

:lol: Yeah, there were a few non-independent entities who did it first. Though was the Manx one limited to property-holding women? I know some were, but I can't remember which.

Also, that's pretty fucking cool that you're of Manx descent. In about 2003 or so, I tried to teach myself some of the Manx language as it looks really fascinating, but it was hard to do it as a bit of a lone wolf, and I completely sucked at the pronunciation.

I believe so. But I didn't know anything about Manx history until last year in which my grandpa discovered that our heritage is very Manx, rather than British as we had suspected. I may have to learn some of our Gaelic sometime, because as we're fairly small in number I think it's worth preserving the heritage!

major_panic said:

Nah, the haka is much more primitive and brutal. Chinese martial arts are too pretty and flowery most of the time, and when you do a brutal, primitive performance, you just end up tired because odds are you've been doing flying kicks all around the place.

Yeah, that's the great thing about the Haka, it's straight to the point: "You're about to die at my hands. Get ready, bitch."

Axver said:

Yeah, that's the great thing about the Haka, it's straight to the point: "You're about to die at my hands. Get ready, bitch."

The problem with the Chinese is that when it comes to fighting, they're either very subtle, or not at all.

They follow the traditions and rituals of offering opportunities to the other party to surrender, and meeting their leaders and so on and so forth, then they all line up, some guy yells "KILL!" and twenty thousand Asian guys in armour run forward screaming.

So, not much opportunity there for war dancing.

The Sad Punk said:
Youtube comments are usually awful, but sometimes they're so bad they're worth reading just to make you laugh.

Yeah, sometimes the idiocy brings the lulz, but like Ali said, too often it's just complete drivel or a flame war. Nobody needs to read a "ur gay" "ur a n00b" "f&ck off" argument.

I also don't get a lot of the very rude and insulting comments. I have a hard time believing that many people watch shit they know they won't like and/or go around insulting videos because they have nothing better to do.

I believe so. But I didn't know anything about Manx history until last year in which my grandpa discovered that our heritage is very Manx, rather than British as we had suspected. I may have to learn some of our Gaelic sometime, because as we're fairly small in number I think it's worth preserving the heritage!

Ahh, cool. Yeah, I started learning the Manx language when I read about how it had almost died and efforts were being made to revive it. It seems really awesome. I also tried Cornish for the same reason - plus I have a small bit of Cornish heritage somewhere along the way.

major_panic said:

The problem with the Chinese is that when it comes to fighting, they're either very subtle, or not at all.

They follow the traditions and rituals of offering opportunities to the other party to surrender, and meeting their leaders and so on and so forth, then they all line up, some guy yells "KILL!" and twenty thousand Asian guys in armour run forward screaming.

So, not much opportunity there for war dancing.

The Maori sure as hell didn't fart-arse around with traditional ritual niceties like that. As evidenced by the fact some Taranaki Maori wiped out the Moriori tribe on the Chatman Islands so thoroughly that no full-blooded Moriori are left ...

Axver said:

The Maori sure as hell didn't fart-arse around with traditional ritual niceties like that. As evidenced by the fact some Taranaki Maori wiped out the Moriori tribe on the Chatman Islands so thoroughly that no full-blooded Moriori are left ...

Ouch.

When it actually finally got down to the fighting, the Chinese were and always have been brutal and violent (see: Tibet, Tiananmen Square for recent examples, and see the unification of China by the state of Qin) but damn, sometimes it took them forever to get around to it. Bastards were really good at alliances and occasional backstabbing too, although their truly great leaders were some quite honourable men who were loyal to the death.

Axver said:
I also don't get a lot of the very rude and insulting comments. I have a hard time believing that many people watch shit they know they won't like and/or go around insulting videos because they have nothing better to do.
Some people postwhore... some make insulting You Tube comments. :shrug:

:wink:

Ahh, cool. Yeah, I started learning the Manx language when I read about how it had almost died and efforts were being made to revive it. It seems really awesome. I also tried Cornish for the same reason - plus I have a small bit of Cornish heritage somewhere along the way.
There are some Cornish people in my family history too, way back when... I have a friend who lives there too, and she tells me that Cornish as a language is technically dead, because the last fluent speaker died some years ago. The linguists have kinda filled in the gaps with Welsh or other gaelic languages, but there's no way of knowing now if it's right or not. :(

The Sad Punk said:

Gaelic would totally be an awesome language to learn, but the sad thing is not many people would know what the hell you were saying...

Axver said:
*tries to resist urge to correct AX's NZ geography*

*can't*

Chatham islands :wink:

Although I suppose you'll tell me now that there are some other islands called Chatman is. where the Moriori were also... :wink:

major_panic said:

Ouch.

When it actually finally got down to the fighting, the Chinese were and always have been brutal and violent (see: Tibet, Tiananmen Square for recent examples, and see the unification of China by the state of Qin) but damn, sometimes it took them forever to get around to it. Bastards were really good at alliances and occasional backstabbing too, although their truly great leaders were some quite honourable men who were loyal to the death.

What fucked over the Moriori is that they were pacifists. They were descended from ... I think the Ngai Tahu in Canterbury, but after a few hundred years of isolation on the Chatham Islands away from mainland Maori, they developed their own cultural identity. Part of this was that they were pacifists. The resource balance on the Chathams was so delicate that it simply could not sustain war, so they developed a system of peaceful conflict resolution. When a Maori tribe from Taranaki invaded in the 1830s, they stuck rigidly to their pacifist system and got completely and utterly decimated.

Also, regarding China, you guys need some of those honourable men to replace the current fools in power. Somebody who doesn't need to measure the size of his country like it's the size of his dick and is willing to just let Tibet go.

Alisaura said:

*tries to resist urge to correct AX's NZ geography*

*can't*

Chatham islands :wink:

Although I suppose you'll tell me now that there are some other islands called Chatman is. where the Moriori were also... :wink:

I'll have you know that was a typo, not an incorrect knowledge of the name! A really bad typo.

I think I'm getting tired a bit too early in the evening.

Alisaura said:

Some people postwhore... some make insulting You Tube comments. :shrug:

:wink:

:laugh:

There are some Cornish people in my family history too, way back when... I have a friend who lives there too, and she tells me that Cornish as a language is technically dead, because the last fluent speaker died some years ago. The linguists have kinda filled in the gaps with Welsh or other gaelic languages, but there's no way of knowing now if it's right or not. :(

Yeah, I remember reading that - I think the same is true for Manx to a point. And you of course have the problem of trying to introduce new, modern words to effectively dead languages. It's not a natural process.

Then again, the Welsh revival has proved that with the right amount of dedication, you can save a language from extinction.

Varitek said:
fuck i restarted and i still cant watch youtube vids.

and there is something strange going on with my bookmark toolbar.
My IE is screwed up too... yesterday it had no toolbars or navigation bars or anything... then some of it came back but it's still all messed up.

:grumpy:

Varitek said:
all the vids stop playing exactly 2 seconds in, and have no sound.

My Mac did that a few months ago, but a restart solved the issue. So, sorry, I'm of no help to you.

Axver said:
I'll have you know that was a typo, not an incorrect knowledge of the name! A really bad typo.

I think I'm getting tired a bit too early in the evening.
Suuuure, blame the tiredness and typos... :wink:

Axver said:

My Mac did that a few months ago, but a restart solved the issue. So, sorry, I'm of no help to you.

i've had firefox lose sound before and a restart fixes it. this time no. and the toolbar's weird - i browse with 2 windows, one for news and one for other, and only one window will show bookmarks in the toolbar. it's extremely aggravating.

major_panic said:

Gaelic would totally be an awesome language to learn, but the sad thing is not many people would know what the hell you were saying...

I'm entirely convinced the invention of Guinness preceded the invention of the Irish Gaelic language by roughly 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom