Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #76
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

Damn. I must learn this. Just cause my cultural identity is so screwed up that I can probably legitimately add it to my repertoire of things anyway. I'm also learning to sing Irish drinking songs, and on that British poll in the thread that I missed out on but later read, I was the only one who got something like "You're one of the few Brits left".

For me, it's one of the few traces of genuinely unique and identifiable culture that I have as a Kiwi. I mean, most Maori stuff is, well, Maori. I'm as white as they come! I mean, besides being albino, I've not a drop of Maori blood in me. But the All Blacks unite everyone (apart from Ian) and Ka Mate/Kapa O Pango feels like part of my own culture.

Otherwise, I feel like I pretty much just blend into a kind of formless haze of Angloculture.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

For me, it's one of the few traces of genuinely unique and identifiable culture that I have as a Kiwi. I mean, most Maori stuff is, well, Maori. I'm as white as they come! I mean, besides being albino, I've not a drop of Maori blood in me. But the All Blacks unite everyone (apart from Ian) and Ka Mate/Kapa O Pango feels like part of my own culture.

Otherwise, I feel like I pretty much just blend into a kind of formless haze of Angloculture.
I'm still not sure what the hell I am, exactly. A Chinese guy trying to be white, or a Westernised guy tring to be Chinese. Damn Angloculture!

Also, every Kiwi should know the haka. Seriously. It should be a crime not to.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #78
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
Ah okay, thought so

Maybe he had a rough bit of the lyrics done in the 80's and then touched them up now.
Yeah. Honestly, the threads debating it here just confused me and I never really dug around for quotes. If the lyrics were there to be recorded, that's fine, and completes the song as the band originally intended it to be. But if he just whacked that in over what would have been better left as an instrumental, that sucks.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Ooh, cool. Any particular reason?
so i've been looking for au pair jobs that would allow me to learn french. for whatever reason there's TONS of families in geneva. because the jobs there are things i'd like to do some day i really like a lot of the parents i've been in contact with and they're all really educated and smart. most of them have pools and go skiing a lot. it just sounds so nice, even if geneva is rather small for my tastes. i can always use a few weekends to get to bigger cities like zurich, vienna, munich, berlin.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I feel I must post this again due to its awesomeness:

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:

I've always secretly wanted to be a Kiwi just for that.

Although, there is this:

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:

Yeah. Honestly, the threads debating it here just confused me and I never really dug around for quotes. If the lyrics were there to be recorded, that's fine, and completes the song as the band originally intended it to be. But if he just whacked that in over what would have been better left as an instrumental, that sucks.
i got the distinct impression that he wrote them recently.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #83
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm still not sure what the hell I am, exactly. A Chinese guy trying to be white, or a Westernised guy tring to be Chinese. Damn Angloculture!

Also, every Kiwi should know the haka. Seriously. It should be a crime not to.
I think being in Australia has kinda fucked me around too. You know, late June this year, I will have been in Australia half my life. That feels funny.

Yeah, when I was about 15, I realised I didn't know the correct words to some of the Ka Mate haka so I made a point of learning it. Now I need to memorise Kapa O Pango.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
so i've been looking for au pair jobs that would allow me to learn french. for whatever reason there's TONS of families in geneva. because the jobs there are things i'd like to do some day i really like a lot of the parents i've been in contact with and they're all really educated and smart. most of them have pools and go skiing a lot. it just sounds so nice, even if geneva is rather small for my tastes. i can always use a few weekends to get to bigger cities like zurich, vienna, munich, berlin.
Awesome! And there's so much awesome stuff so close together in Europe.... good luck with it!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

Holy fuck! That's unreal. I'd say it's awesome in a whole different way. The haka is good in a primal FUCK YOU way, but this is good in a hey bitch I can do this lol way.

I think my Eagles need to do some sort of dance before a match, perhaps one in which they pretend to snort the players.
West Coast Eagles? They just need to drive a car onto the pitch drunk, crash it and run away from police, all the while snorting drugs.

And I need to make a poster about that, brb.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
One of my school friends is descended from a Maori king or leader. I wonder if she's into Rugby, I should watch a game with her sometime if so.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Very nice! So you know people there already?

I'm thinking of going to England for a few months at the end of next year, so as not to waste my Brit citizenship and to see what it's like.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #88
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I think my Eagles need to do some sort of dance before a match, perhaps one in which they pretend to snort the players.

You know what I love? The Tongan rugby team also has a pre-game war dance, and when they play the All Blacks, they do theirs WHILE THE ALL BLACKS DO THE HAKA. It's so fucking intense.

The bad part? I saw Tonga vs New Zealand at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but thanks to a transportation fuck-up, I got to the venue just as the Haka finished. Still regret that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

You know what I love? The Tongan rugby team also has a pre-game war dance, and when they play the All Blacks, they do theirs WHILE THE ALL BLACKS DO THE HAKA. It's so fucking intense.

The bad part? I saw Tonga vs New Zealand at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but thanks to a transportation fuck-up, I got to the venue just as the Haka finished. Still regret that.
I MUST SEE THAT. NOW.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #90
Vocal parasite

Quote:

i got the distinct impression that he wrote them recently.
That would suck if so. I'd look it up to see if I can confirm it either way, but that requires effort and I don't care that much about the song. Also I'm kind of happier not knowing they fucked up what would've been a good instrumental.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread