Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am so lost in this thread right now.

i think i'm gonna watch a tudors episode before writing my paper. they gym, and an awkward awkward meeting, and then what work should i do this afternoon? i think i'll finish those 3 things i've been meaing to finish. if i finish 4 things in 1 day, plus the 1 last ngiht, i'll feel super productive and get extra drunk tonight in celebration.

major_panic said:

It's now a cut across the chest? That sucks. :madspit:

Bunch of pansies that whinge about little things. Just like the Indian cricket team.

Yeah, it's now lower down. It still looks good, but it's not quite what it was. Fuck, I still remember the first time they did it. It was at Carisbrook, the House of Pain, in Dunedin. We didn't know they were going to do it, I just expected Ka Mate. And then ... fuuuuck.

The only problem with Kapa O Pango is that I don't have the words and moves memorised! I know all of Ka Mate.

always choose sex over sleep.

i think this one time when i was really tired i nearly fell asleep having sex. and it was good sex too. it just all kinda happened in slomo and seemed super romantic. i must not have been that bad cause we repeated the next saturday. (by this one time, i mean, like, a month ago)

The Sad Punk said:
I just watched the Kapa o Pango. I think i'll follow the All Blacks, because that was TIGHT.

You're too awesome.

Though I think I told you that last night. So you're now awesome as. That sounds more Kiwi.

Incidentally, the All Blacks (or at least the All Blacks circa 2005 led by Tana Umaga) actually wrote Kapa O Pango themselves. :up:

RavenBlue said:
Ax, are the vocals from Wave of Sorrow from the 80's or modern day Bono.

They sound kind of modern day B to me :hmm:

It was rerecorded for the 20th anniversary JT release, and by rerecorded I mean finished.

RavenBlue said:
Ax, are the vocals from Wave of Sorrow from the 80's or modern day Bono.

They sound kind of modern day B to me :hmm:

Definitely modern day, he said so himself.

What I haven't fully ascertained is if the lyrics are from the eighties or now. The music is from the JT era, but I'm not clear if Bono had the lyrics written and simply never did a vocal take, or if he came up with the lyrics to go with the music.

Because if it's the latter, I'll be pissed.

Axver said:

Yeah, it's now lower down. It still looks good, but it's not quite what it was. Fuck, I still remember the first time they did it. It was at Carisbrook, the House of Pain, in Dunedin. We didn't know they were going to do it, I just expected Ka Mate. And then ... fuuuuck.

The only problem with Kapa O Pango is that I don't have the words and moves memorised! I know all of Ka Mate.

Damn. I must learn this. Just cause my cultural identity is so screwed up that I can probably legitimately add it to my repertoire of things anyway. I'm also learning to sing Irish drinking songs, and on that British poll in the thread that I missed out on but later read, I was the only one who got something like "You're one of the few Brits left".

Varitek said:
i am so lost in this thread right now.

i think i'm gonna watch a tudors episode before writing my paper. they gym, and an awkward awkward meeting, and then what work should i do this afternoon? i think i'll finish those 3 things i've been meaing to finish. if i finish 4 things in 1 day, plus the 1 last ngiht, i'll feel super productive and get extra drunk tonight in celebration.
... Huzzah! :yippie:

major_panic said:

Damn. I must learn this. Just cause my cultural identity is so screwed up that I can probably legitimately add it to my repertoire of things anyway. I'm also learning to sing Irish drinking songs, and on that British poll in the thread that I missed out on but later read, I was the only one who got something like "You're one of the few Brits left".

:lol:

For me, it's one of the few traces of genuinely unique and identifiable culture that I have as a Kiwi. I mean, most Maori stuff is, well, Maori. I'm as white as they come! I mean, besides being albino, I've not a drop of Maori blood in me. But the All Blacks unite everyone (apart from Ian) and Ka Mate/Kapa O Pango feels like part of my own culture.

Otherwise, I feel like I pretty much just blend into a kind of formless haze of Angloculture.

Axver said:

:lol:

For me, it's one of the few traces of genuinely unique and identifiable culture that I have as a Kiwi. I mean, most Maori stuff is, well, Maori. I'm as white as they come! I mean, besides being albino, I've not a drop of Maori blood in me. But the All Blacks unite everyone (apart from Ian) and Ka Mate/Kapa O Pango feels like part of my own culture.

Otherwise, I feel like I pretty much just blend into a kind of formless haze of Angloculture.

I'm still not sure what the hell I am, exactly. A Chinese guy trying to be white, or a Westernised guy tring to be Chinese. Damn Angloculture!

Also, every Kiwi should know the haka. Seriously. It should be a crime not to.

RavenBlue said:
Ah okay, thought so :up:

Maybe he had a rough bit of the lyrics done in the 80's and then touched them up now.

Yeah. Honestly, the threads debating it here just confused me and I never really dug around for quotes. If the lyrics were there to be recorded, that's fine, and completes the song as the band originally intended it to be. But if he just whacked that in over what would have been better left as an instrumental, that sucks.

Alisaura said:

Ooh, cool. Any particular reason?

so i've been looking for au pair jobs that would allow me to learn french. for whatever reason there's TONS of families in geneva. because the jobs there are things i'd like to do some day i really like a lot of the parents i've been in contact with and they're all really educated and smart. most of them have pools and go skiing a lot. it just sounds so nice, even if geneva is rather small for my tastes. i can always use a few weekends to get to bigger cities like zurich, vienna, munich, berlin.

major_panic said:

:yes:

I've always secretly wanted to be a Kiwi just for that.

Although, there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxo_-unLJjg

Completely unrelated, but equally awesome, I'd say.

Holy fuck! That's unreal. I'd say it's awesome in a whole different way. The haka is good in a primal FUCK YOU way, but this is good in a hey bitch I can do this lol way.

I think my Eagles need to do some sort of dance before a match, perhaps one in which they pretend to snort the players.

Axver said:

Yeah. Honestly, the threads debating it here just confused me and I never really dug around for quotes. If the lyrics were there to be recorded, that's fine, and completes the song as the band originally intended it to be. But if he just whacked that in over what would have been better left as an instrumental, that sucks.

i got the distinct impression that he wrote them recently.

major_panic said:

I'm still not sure what the hell I am, exactly. A Chinese guy trying to be white, or a Westernised guy tring to be Chinese. Damn Angloculture!

Also, every Kiwi should know the haka. Seriously. It should be a crime not to.

:lol: I think being in Australia has kinda fucked me around too. You know, late June this year, I will have been in Australia half my life. That feels funny.

Yeah, when I was about 15, I realised I didn't know the correct words to some of the Ka Mate haka so I made a point of learning it. Now I need to memorise Kapa O Pango.

Varitek said:
so i've been looking for au pair jobs that would allow me to learn french. for whatever reason there's TONS of families in geneva. because the jobs there are things i'd like to do some day i really like a lot of the parents i've been in contact with and they're all really educated and smart. most of them have pools and go skiing a lot. it just sounds so nice, even if geneva is rather small for my tastes. i can always use a few weekends to get to bigger cities like zurich, vienna, munich, berlin.
Awesome! And there's so much awesome stuff so close together in Europe.... good luck with it! :up:

The Sad Punk said:

Holy fuck! That's unreal. I'd say it's awesome in a whole different way. The haka is good in a primal FUCK YOU way, but this is good in a hey bitch I can do this lol way.

I think my Eagles need to do some sort of dance before a match, perhaps one in which they pretend to snort the players.

West Coast Eagles? They just need to drive a car onto the pitch drunk, crash it and run away from police, all the while snorting drugs.

And I need to make a poster about that, brb.

Varitek said:

Very nice! So you know people there already?

I'm thinking of going to England for a few months at the end of next year, so as not to waste my Brit citizenship and to see what it's like.

The Sad Punk said:

:lmao:

You know what I love? The Tongan rugby team also has a pre-game war dance, and when they play the All Blacks, they do theirs WHILE THE ALL BLACKS DO THE HAKA. It's so fucking intense.

The bad part? I saw Tonga vs New Zealand at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but thanks to a transportation fuck-up, I got to the venue just as the Haka finished. Still regret that.

Axver said:

:lmao:

You know what I love? The Tongan rugby team also has a pre-game war dance, and when they play the All Blacks, they do theirs WHILE THE ALL BLACKS DO THE HAKA. It's so fucking intense.

The bad part? I saw Tonga vs New Zealand at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but thanks to a transportation fuck-up, I got to the venue just as the Haka finished. Still regret that.

I MUST SEE THAT. NOW.

Varitek said:

i got the distinct impression that he wrote them recently.

That would suck if so. I'd look it up to see if I can confirm it either way, but that requires effort and I don't care that much about the song. Also I'm kind of happier not knowing they fucked up what would've been a good instrumental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom