Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #196
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Once again, ouch. Being invaded and wiped out by others kinda sucks, although I guess you couldn't complain about it after? That's the only problem I have with pacifism - it's all well and good to avoid violence and bloodshed, but at some point someone's gonna want to screw you over; what do you do?

And, I think I should be in charge of China. Or better yet, one of the more progressive emperors. I think the thing with China is that it's had land for so bloody long, it can't accept letting go. "What would my ancestors say!"

It always amazes me looking at Chinese history; they could've had several industrial revolutions and taken over the world the way America sort of has about 200 years ago, but were set back by their own bureaucracy, politics and the fact that they didn't really need industrialisation thanks to the shitload of workers they ad.
Yeah. It's no secret I'm a pacifist, but I'm what's called a "weak" pacifist, while the Moriori were "strong" pacifists (though perhaps the terms would be better swapped!). Weak pacifism believes violence can be justified in case of self-defence. The Moriori actually had a debate amongst their elders about whether to employ violent defence or to stick to their complete refusal to fight. They made the fateful decision not to resist.

What I don't get about the Tibet situation as opposed to, say, Taiwan, is that Tibet has been an independent country within living memory. I could imagine the difficulty that could be had with giving up other parts of the country, but Tibet's left me a little baffled.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 PM
My head is slowing down in that whole thinking thing, and also I gotta be at the airport tomorrow morning. So I'll see you doggs later.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #198
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
My head is slowing down in that whole thinking thing, and also I gotta be at the airport tomorrow morning. So I'll see you doggs later.
Have a good one, Bonnie!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yeah. It's no secret I'm a pacifist, but I'm what's called a "weak" pacifist, while the Moriori were "strong" pacifists (though perhaps the terms would be better swapped!). Weak pacifism believes violence can be justified in case of self-defence. The Moriori actually had a debate amongst their elders about whether to employ violent defence or to stick to their complete refusal to fight. They made the fateful decision not to resist.

What I don't get about the Tibet situation as opposed to, say, Taiwan, is that Tibet has been an independent country within living memory. I could imagine the difficulty that could be had with giving up other parts of the country, but Tibet's left me a little baffled.
I think they left Taiwan because they couldn't do all that much to get it back - a stretch of water filled with democracy-loving people with big guns sort of hinders you. With Tibet, I guess theyr'e just trying to prove their superiority. I'm sure the fact that the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of most of the Chinese nation, and lives in Tibet making statements against China, doesn't help either.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #200
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
You use IE?
I tried Firefox and prefer IE... maybe just cos I'm used to it, although I don't like the new version of IE much (too much like firefox!). I've never had a problem with it 'til now.

Seeya Bonnie!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
See ya later, have fun!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #202
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Looks like the natural order of things has almost been restored:

Axver 50
major_panic 44
Varitek 30
Alisaura 28
The Sad Punk 24
RavenBlue 9
gluey 8
mysterious_jen 6
phillyfan26 2

PFan just needs to climb up a bit and we're back to normal!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #203
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Looks like the natural order of things has almost been restored:

Axver 50
major_panic 44
Varitek 30
Alisaura 28
The Sad Punk 24
RavenBlue 9
gluey 8
mysterious_jen 6
phillyfan26 2

PFan just needs to climb up a bit and we're back to normal!
Won't be able to, going to a funeral.

You know what sucks about funerals, you know, besides the death? Clothes that need to be ironed. I'm so glad I don't voluntarily wear clothes that need to be ironed, it's such a pain in the ass.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

You know what sucks about funerals, you know, besides the death? Clothes that need to be ironed. I'm so glad I don't voluntarily wear clothes that need to be ironed, it's such a pain in the ass.
The only person I know who does on a regular basis is Ax.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #205
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I think they left Taiwan because they couldn't do all that much to get it back - a stretch of water filled with democracy-loving people with big guns sort of hinders you. With Tibet, I guess theyr'e just trying to prove their superiority. I'm sure the fact that the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of most of the Chinese nation, and lives in Tibet making statements against China, doesn't help either.
Heh, the Dalai Lama's been awesome. I love the completely stupid desperation of the Chinese authorities to try to get their own man instated as the next Dalai Lama. That brings the lulz, and you know it's doomed to failure.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #206
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

But almost all clothes need to be ironed. I don't know what the fuck you people are wearing. I don't want to go out looking like a scruff with creased clothing. Though when it's winter, I can get away with not ironing my shirts because they're hidden under my blazer!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

the tudors =
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #208
Blue Crack Supplier

Fall/Winter: T-shirt, jeans, sweatshirt.

Spring/Summer: T-shirt, shorts.

What do you wear?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #209
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

I tried Firefox and prefer IE... maybe just cos I'm used to it, although I don't like the new version of IE much (too much like firefox!). I've never had a problem with it 'til now.
I was used to IE too, but after a couple of weeks I got used to Firefox. Now I absolutely can't stand IE.

Plus, there's the whole matter of IE being full of security holes that really puts me off.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier

IE's security holes made it so bad that it crashes my computer when I use it. Thus, I use Firefox, and, quite frankly, it's ten times better than IE. Tabbed browsing FTW.

Tags
superthread