Whakapapa Skifield Superthread aka Incest Superthread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

The Maori sure as hell didn't fart-arse around with traditional ritual niceties like that. As evidenced by the fact some Taranaki Maori wiped out the Moriori tribe on the Chatman Islands so thoroughly that no full-blooded Moriori are left ...
Ouch.

When it actually finally got down to the fighting, the Chinese were and always have been brutal and violent (see: Tibet, Tiananmen Square for recent examples, and see the unification of China by the state of Qin) but damn, sometimes it took them forever to get around to it. Bastards were really good at alliances and occasional backstabbing too, although their truly great leaders were some quite honourable men who were loyal to the death.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
I also don't get a lot of the very rude and insulting comments. I have a hard time believing that many people watch shit they know they won't like and/or go around insulting videos because they have nothing better to do.
Some people postwhore... some make insulting You Tube comments.

Quote:
Ahh, cool. Yeah, I started learning the Manx language when I read about how it had almost died and efforts were being made to revive it. It seems really awesome. I also tried Cornish for the same reason - plus I have a small bit of Cornish heritage somewhere along the way.
There are some Cornish people in my family history too, way back when... I have a friend who lives there too, and she tells me that Cornish as a language is technically dead, because the last fluent speaker died some years ago. The linguists have kinda filled in the gaps with Welsh or other gaelic languages, but there's no way of knowing now if it's right or not.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I believe so. But I didn't know anything about Manx history until last year in which my grandpa discovered that our heritage is very Manx, rather than British as we had suspected. I may have to learn some of our Gaelic sometime, because as we're fairly small in number I think it's worth preserving the heritage!
Gaelic would totally be an awesome language to learn, but the sad thing is not many people would know what the hell you were saying...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Maori sure as hell didn't fart-arse around with traditional ritual niceties like that. As evidenced by the fact some Taranaki Maori wiped out the Moriori tribe on the Chatman Islands so thoroughly that no full-blooded Moriori are left ...
*tries to resist urge to correct AX's NZ geography*

*can't*

Chatham islands

Although I suppose you'll tell me now that there are some other islands called Chatman is. where the Moriori were also...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #170
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

Ouch.

When it actually finally got down to the fighting, the Chinese were and always have been brutal and violent (see: Tibet, Tiananmen Square for recent examples, and see the unification of China by the state of Qin) but damn, sometimes it took them forever to get around to it. Bastards were really good at alliances and occasional backstabbing too, although their truly great leaders were some quite honourable men who were loyal to the death.
What fucked over the Moriori is that they were pacifists. They were descended from ... I think the Ngai Tahu in Canterbury, but after a few hundred years of isolation on the Chatham Islands away from mainland Maori, they developed their own cultural identity. Part of this was that they were pacifists. The resource balance on the Chathams was so delicate that it simply could not sustain war, so they developed a system of peaceful conflict resolution. When a Maori tribe from Taranaki invaded in the 1830s, they stuck rigidly to their pacifist system and got completely and utterly decimated.

Also, regarding China, you guys need some of those honourable men to replace the current fools in power. Somebody who doesn't need to measure the size of his country like it's the size of his dick and is willing to just let Tibet go.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 PM
fuck i restarted and i still cant watch youtube vids.

and there is something strange going on with my bookmark toolbar.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #172
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

*tries to resist urge to correct AX's NZ geography*

*can't*

Chatham islands

Although I suppose you'll tell me now that there are some other islands called Chatman is. where the Moriori were also...
I'll have you know that was a typo, not an incorrect knowledge of the name! A really bad typo.

I think I'm getting tired a bit too early in the evening.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

all the vids stop playing exactly 2 seconds in, and have no sound.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #174
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Some people postwhore... some make insulting You Tube comments.

Quote:
There are some Cornish people in my family history too, way back when... I have a friend who lives there too, and she tells me that Cornish as a language is technically dead, because the last fluent speaker died some years ago. The linguists have kinda filled in the gaps with Welsh or other gaelic languages, but there's no way of knowing now if it's right or not.
Yeah, I remember reading that - I think the same is true for Manx to a point. And you of course have the problem of trying to introduce new, modern words to effectively dead languages. It's not a natural process.

Then again, the Welsh revival has proved that with the right amount of dedication, you can save a language from extinction.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #175
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
fuck i restarted and i still cant watch youtube vids.

and there is something strange going on with my bookmark toolbar.
My IE is screwed up too... yesterday it had no toolbars or navigation bars or anything... then some of it came back but it's still all messed up.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #176
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
all the vids stop playing exactly 2 seconds in, and have no sound.
My Mac did that a few months ago, but a restart solved the issue. So, sorry, I'm of no help to you.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #177
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'll have you know that was a typo, not an incorrect knowledge of the name! A really bad typo.

I think I'm getting tired a bit too early in the evening.
Suuuure, blame the tiredness and typos...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

My Mac did that a few months ago, but a restart solved the issue. So, sorry, I'm of no help to you.
i've had firefox lose sound before and a restart fixes it. this time no. and the toolbar's weird - i browse with 2 windows, one for news and one for other, and only one window will show bookmarks in the toolbar. it's extremely aggravating.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Yeah, both PCs I use regularly fuck Youtube up like that sometimes. But I think it's just a restart or two that changes things, again.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #180
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

Gaelic would totally be an awesome language to learn, but the sad thing is not many people would know what the hell you were saying...
I'm entirely convinced the invention of Guinness preceded the invention of the Irish Gaelic language by roughly 30 minutes.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread