Westward Ho!, Devon, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said to El-Mel, as much as I hate how Screwy said it, I think great superhero stories are almost like pop mythology, you know? Superman's an interesting allegory for Christ and American ideology in the '20s. Batman's a study in duality and madness. It's cool to me how you can wrap adult themes in an entertainment form geared more towards children. Recently, it's taken a more mature slant, but still, an interesting concept and execution and those two characters exemplify that.

I find it a bit of a stretch to place superhero stories on the level of ancient mythology that permeated socio-religious frameworks, like all the famous Greek stories and the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Old Testament and what-have-you, but I see where you're coming from. And I see how that appeals, even if the simple superheroness makes it a bit too ridiculous and unbelievable for my personal tastes. I do have to wonder how many people are actually conscious of all the thematic layering though, and how many are just "yeah Batman!"

I mean, it would be wrong to reject all of the new stuff because you don't like it, you'd be depriving your kids of their own childhood by supplanting your own. Nudging them in your direction would be alright though, you know?

Oh yeah; after all, Thomas was brand new when I got into it. And nobody wants to be stuck in the early nineties. But I've always been grateful that my own parents went to some effort to expose me to the great stuff they had enjoyed too - and I don't just mean children's programming here, but music and books and games and all that. I think that sort of thing really gives childhood more depth and diversity.

I find it a bit of a stretch to place superhero stories on the level of ancient mythology that permeated socio-religious frameworks, like all the famous Greek stories and the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Old Testament and what-have-you, but I see where you're coming from. And I see how that appeals, even if the simple superheroness makes it a bit too ridiculous and unbelievable for my personal tastes. I do have to wonder how many people are actually conscious of all the thematic layering though, and how many are just "yeah Batman!"

I agree, they shouldn't be placed on that same level - that stuff is untouchable. All things considering, within the context of popular entertainment, the creators fill those types of allegories and themes within at least some of those stories. I'm not gonna defend shit like Aquaman, but something on the level of Batman should be championed. There's a reason why that character resonates so much in popular culture. I'd also like to think I can enjoy it for both that extra layer and just the pure badassery that is Batman.

Oh yeah; after all, Thomas was brand new when I got into it. And nobody wants to be stuck in the early nineties. But I've always been grateful that my own parents went to some effort to expose me to the great stuff they had enjoyed too - and I don't just mean children's programming here, but music and books and games and all that. I think that sort of thing really gives childhood more depth and diversity.

Oh definitely, as long as it has its place.

I saying older people like it because it is a modern mythology. Spider-man and Batman are our modern day Hercules and Achilles. These are stories we will pass down. You should respect that people of all ages care about those characters and stories.

You can't compare Spiderman and Batman to Hercules and Achilles. That's just absurd. The social role of ancient mythology is just completely different to modern superhero movies and comics. Don't try to overstate them as some kind of tradition that will permeate society for millennia. Very, very little achieves that.

So The Age of Innocence was a damn good movie. Can't say I liked it enough to see it again, but it was incredibly well-made and performed.

Just visited B&C, and wow, a free Bon Jovi concert in NYC? He's getting desperate? :lmao:

Really? I've only seen the first scene in my film aesthetics class, I've been meaning to rent it.

Yep. It's interesting to see Scorsese's style adapted to fit this time period, but it fits like a glove. Thematically, it's the same - a guy wracked with guilt over a decision he has to make, and ultimately has his redemption. The difference here is that all of that violence and angst is internal, and it's Daniel Day-Lewis, so there's that. It's a cool companion piece to Gangs of New York, too: both take place in New York in the 1800s and have D-Day, but while this one focuses on upper-crust society, Gangs is the polar opposite.

I recommend it, but it's a frustrating watch, even if that's intentional.

Yep. It's interesting to see Scorsese's style adapted to fit this time period, but it fits like a glove. Thematically, it's the same - a guy wracked with guilt over a decision he has to make, and ultimately has his redemption. The difference here is that all of that violence and angst is internal, and it's Daniel Day-Lewis, so there's that. It's a cool companion piece to Gangs of New York, too: both take place in New York in the 1800s and have D-Day, but while this one focuses on upper-crust society, Gangs is the polar opposite.

I recommend it, but it's a frustrating watch, even if that's intentional.

I'll keep that in mind. My prof. told us a lot of that. I probably won't like it a lot like you said, to want to watch it again, but I feel it is only right to see it once

So, I'm listening to some REM and Shiny Happy People came on. I know it's meant to be some terrible sin to enjoy the song, but fuck it, I do anyway.

So, I'm listening to some REM and Shiny Happy People came on. I know it's meant to be some terrible sin to enjoy the song, but fuck it, I do anyway.

It's on the cd at work right now, and I annoy all those around me everytime it comes on, because i do so love that song

How is this thread going quiet and gasping for air when 13 people are supposedly watching it? :tsk:

That was the naughtiest Gingerbread Man I ever tasted

Ahh Childhood films :cute:

I'm getting sleepy but there's two more cartoons from this video I used to have to watch :hmm: should I watch them or not :lol:

If I'm in the right mood, I LOVE the song Shiny Happy People.

It would not make a list of my top 50 R.E.M. songs but, yeah, I enjoy it. :up:

So, Mum and Alan are off on a short trip in their campervan and tonight are stopped in a place called Condong, New South Wales. God, Aussie town names bring the lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom