Westward Ho!, Devon, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comic books are a pulp art form, like novels or film or anything else. If it's done well, it's done well, if not, then it blows. A lot of the great stuff, especially pertaining to Batman, is pretty dark and for a generally older audience.

Are comic books popular where you live, too?

Honestly, I'd have no idea. I find comic books difficult to read and accordingly have no interest in them. To me ... well, I think of all this Batman and Spiderman stuff as being on the same level as Thomas The Tank Engine or Road Runner or Bugs Bunny. After all, those cartoons were all played together on children's morning programming when I was little.

Though now I'd like to see somebody make a darker Thomas The Tank targeted at an older audience. :lol:

Honestly, I'd have no idea. I find comic books difficult to read and accordingly have no interest in them. To me ... well, I think of all this Batman and Spiderman stuff as being on the same level as Thomas The Tank Engine or Road Runner or Bugs Bunny. After all, those cartoons were all played together on children's morning programming when I was little.

Though now I'd like to see somebody make a darker Thomas The Tank targeted at an older audience. :lol:

YouTube - There Will Be Blood: Thomas the Tank Engine Edition

I can see where you're coming from, although I think great comics are at a higher level of entertainment than cartoons, even I fucking love me some Looney Toons. No harm done.

YouTube - There Will Be Blood: Thomas the Tank Engine Edition

I can see where you're coming from, although I think great comics are at a higher level of entertainment than cartoons, even I fucking love me some Looney Toons. No harm done.

I'm disturbe there were enough train destruction scenes in Thomas to make such a startling video :lol:

And I watched that with my little brother, it finished and he turned to me and said "That wasn't as happy as I thought it would be." :cute:

My favorite animated show ever. It was so good. The whole series is actually on Youtube. :drool:

excellent. I will have to check those out sometime. I'll bet I can remember details from nearly every episode.

Good or bad news, Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool. Gambit's an unknown, but that's pretty cool. If the movie makes money, they'd probably get their own spin-offs, too.

I loved the Spidey, Batman, and X-Men cartoons as a kid. I can still hum the X-Men theme.

Ryan Reynolds = bad news.

But yeah those three cartoons were a big part of my after-school education as a youngster. I loved all three of those shows very much.

Screwtape and LMP :hi5:

And why are there no good cartoons anymore? Road Runner, where is he?

Yeah, I feel sorry for kids today. Children's programming just looks like shit.

Besides Thomas, Road Runner was my favourite.

It is modern mythology. You should respect that.

... yeah, what?

I mean, even if it is, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me, since I'm known to use "mythology" pejoratively. See: my discussions of the Old Testament.

... yeah, what?

I mean, even if it is, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me, since I'm known to use "mythology" pejoratively. See: my discussions of the Old Testament.

Like I said to El-Mel, as much as I hate how Screwy said it, I think great superhero stories are almost like pop mythology, you know? Superman's an interesting allegory for Christ and American ideology in the '20s. Batman's a study in duality and madness. It's cool to me how you can wrap adult themes in an entertainment form geared more towards children. Recently, it's taken a more mature slant, but still, an interesting concept and execution and those two characters exemplify that.

Yeah, kids' cartoons now are a bit shit.

It seems to me things seriously went to shit around the mid to late nineties. I remember in the early nineties, watching mostly the same cartoons that my parents had watched as children. Stuff that had worked for years. Was it just not cool enough for the kids of 1998 or something? :tsk:

Like I said to El-Mel, as much as I hate how Screwy said it, I think great superhero stories are almost like pop mythology, you know? Superman's an interesting allegory for Christ and American ideology in the '20s. Batman's a study in duality and madness. It's cool to me how you can wrap adult themes in an entertainment form geared more towards children. Recently, it's taken a more mature slant, but still, an interesting concept and execution and those two characters exemplify that.

Can I just say here, that I read the Butter Battle Book again today....dude that thing was about the Cold War :ohmy:

/semi-random

It seems to me things seriously went to shit around the mid to late nineties. I remember in the early nineties, watching mostly the same cartoons that my parents had watched as children. Stuff that had worked for years. Was it just not cool enough for the kids of 1998 or something? :tsk:

I wish I knew. All I know is that when I have kids, which I hope will be a long way off, I'll try and let them watch all of the cool shit I watched when I was growing up.

Wait, you actually did watch Thomas? :lmao: I alwasy just thought that was a joke

Thomas The Tank Engine was my U2 setlists or Porcupine Tree when I was five!

I should dig up the photos of when I dressed up as Thomas for school one day ...

Can I just say here, that I read the Butter Battle Book again today....dude that thing was about the Cold War :ohmy:

/semi-random

I love that. It's the most interesting thing any form of entertainment has the ability to do.

Hell, the original Star Trek had so many political allegories that were balanced by the awesome camp in the whole show. It's just an added level of enjoyment for me, at least.

I wish I knew. All I know is that when I have kids, which I hope will be a long way off, I'll try and let them watch all of the cool shit I watched when I was growing up.

Yeah, if I ever have kids, I'd dig up a collection of videos/DVDs/whateverwe'reusingthen of all the awesome stuff from my childhood. It seems even the stuff that's still around today has gone to shit. Like Thomas! I nearly threw up when I heard the new Thomas theme song. It's a FUCKING SING-ALONG!

... yeah, what?

I saying older people like it because it is a modern mythology. Spider-man and Batman are our modern day Hercules and Achilles. These are stories we will pass down. You should respect that people of all ages care about those characters and stories.

I love that. It's the most interesting thing any form of entertainment has the ability to do.

Hell, the original Star Trek had so many political allegories that were balanced by the awesome camp in the whole show. It's just an added level of enjoyment for me, at least.

The way that story just ENDS with both sides holding a bomb and all of the people waiting under ground to see who's going to drop theirs first. Seriously....I got a little goose-bumpish.

Yeah, if I ever have kids, I'd dig up a collection of videos/DVDs/whateverwe'reusingthen of all the awesome stuff from my childhood. It seems even the stuff that's still around today has gone to shit. Like Thomas! I nearly threw up when I heard the new Thomas theme song. It's a FUCKING SING-ALONG!

I mean, it would be wrong to reject all of the new stuff because you don't like it, you'd be depriving your kids of their own childhood by supplanting your own. Nudging them in your direction would be alright though, you know?

The way that story just ENDS with both sides holding a bomb and all of the people waiting under ground to see who's going to drop theirs first. Seriously....I got a little goose-bumpish.

:lol:

Dr. Seuss, where the fuck did you get your doctor's degree?

I saying older people like it because it is a modern mythology. Spider-man and Batman are our modern day Hercules and Achilles. These are stories we will pass down. You should respect that people of all ages care about those characters and stories.

It'd be cool if he did, but he doesn't have to do anything. Let him have his own opinion.

I blame Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom