Westward Ho!, Devon, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're only arguing the motive of the person who set the American English precedent. It is what it is today, and it doesn't cause the problems something like measuring systems so actually cause.

Well, personally, I don't see why it's not corrected since it would be a rather simple thing to do, but fair point.

Also, at least US English sometimes brings the lulz in a non-I'm-mocking-you sort of way. I loved all the "Tire" Centres I saw over your way.

I'm sure it sounds like an accent to someone. I just have no idea what to classify it as.

You pronounce everything correctly. That's what it means. The British and Australians and Kiwis and whatnot fuck around with the Rs and the vowels. You don't.

I pronounce select words like water, league, Eagles, and bagel differently than a normal person would.

I'm sure it sounds like an accent to someone. I just have no idea what to classify it as.

I feel the same way about the way I talk, but I'm told I have a Chicagan Accent, which makes no sense, because I live 60 miles from Chicago. But, apparently I stretch some a sounds, and throw a lot of syllables together into one. So...maybe I do :lol:

Well, personally, I don't see why it's not corrected since it would be a rather simple thing to do, but fair point.

Also, at least US English sometimes brings the lulz in a non-I'm-mocking-you sort of way. I loved all the "Tire" Centres I saw over your way.

Think of it this way: what's more confusing? Our variation on the definition of tailgating or how we spell color?

What do you call tires in Van Diemen's Land?

I remember someone pointing out that we pronounce "bad" strangely in Philly. We make the "a" vowel sound like "yeah." So, instead of Bad, it's beahd. I don't know. It does sound like that when I say it, but is that even different? God only knows.

Think of it this way: what's more confusing? Our variation on the definition of tailgating or how we spell color?

What do you call tires in Van Diemen's Land?

You win the point there!

VDL is a bit further south; who knows what those half-human cretins use. :wink: Up here in civilisation, it's "tyre". "Tire" is, well, to get tired. So you can imagine how I read all the signs in the US.

So, my plans to see Tom Petty on Thursday fell through, and I'm slightly sad right now.

But he'll be in Texas August 27th, so I'll go then. Gives me more time to save money anywas.

VDL is a bit further south; who knows what those half-human cretins use. :wink: Up here in civilisation, it's "tyre". "Tire" is, well, to get tired. So you can imagine how I read all the signs in the US.

You interpreted tire centers as cheap hotels?

Oh NOES! But if I see him at that show, I won't get to see Steve Winwood! :sad:

You only wish I was joking

You interpreted tire centers as cheap hotels?

Kate and I had a boring wait at one "Tire Center" and it got to the point where I was cracking myself up trying to figure out the most ridiculous thing "Tire Center" could possibly mean. I had this mental image of insomniacs going somewhere where they're run ragged to the point that they just collapse and fall asleep.

You pronounce everything correctly. That's what it means. The British and Australians and Kiwis and whatnot fuck around with the Rs and the vowels. You don't.

I pronounce select words like water, league, Eagles, and bagel differently than a normal person would.

For the record, how do you pronounce bagel in Philly? This could come in handy.

I say bay-ghel, but beg-ghel is also common here.

Oh, hey, I uploaded two albums last night. The Verve's A Storm In Heaven and The Edge's Captive. Who wants a link? Leave your e-mail and I'll pass them on to you.

Ax, I would love Captive :D:D:D , but I will quickly be editing this particular e-mail address out, so let me know if you got it.

For the record, how do you pronounce bagel in Philly? This could come in handy.

I say bay-ghel, but beg-ghel is also common here.

Bay-gull.

Oh, hey, I uploaded two albums last night. The Verve's A Storm In Heaven and The Edge's Captive. Who wants a link? Leave your e-mail and I'll pass them on to you.

I've not heard A Storm in Heaven. theamendment6 @ gmail.com.

I already have Captive thanks to you. :up:

There's a site somewhere that has all the Philly pronunciations. I always find it amusing.

The only one people commonly know is water as wooder. It's very true, though.

i've seen steve winwood, does that count?

Did you get your money's worth?

For me, Steve Winwood is someone I want to see, but wouldn't pay to. But if I were told he were the opening act at a concert I was already going to be going to, then sure, what the hell, why not?

Just sent the ASIH link to you, PFan.

As for the bagel pronunciation, I was going to say bay-gel, but due to my Kiwi accent, I'm sure you guys would perceive it as sounding more like bay-gil or bay-gul.

I'm reading an article on the Philly accent now.

Funny story related to this: we have friends from California, big baseball family. They had the license plate "Big Lig." I never knew what it meant until I asked one day a couple years ago. Turns out they were mocking our accent, because in Philly, league rhymes with big. Sort of like how Eagle sounds like Iggle.

Got it. :)

Just e-mailed the link now.

Ax, can you actually just send it to bono_212 @ hotmail.com....my school email won't work tonight for some reason, sorry for the hassle.

and

One of America's greatest rock and roll bands, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, are hitting the road this summer with British rocker and singer-songwriter Steve Winwood for a North American tour that will stop Wednesday, August 27th at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

:hyper: he IS going to be there :cute:

Did you get your money's worth?

For me, Steve Winwood is someone I want to see, but wouldn't pay to. But if I were told he were the opening act at a concert I was already going to be going to, then sure, what the hell, why not?
it cost me like $30 so it wasn't bad. i saw him at a festival, our annual music festival here.

Ax, nevermind, it finaly showed up, along with the 20 other emails I was supposed to recieve this evening

And nevermind to this then :wink:

What's the deal with Rapid share always telling me "it's Happy Hour"? I mean, it's been fucking Happy Last Couple Of Months at the moment.

These articles nail my accent.

- I mispronounce tour as "tore."
- I pronounce words like "come on" as "come auwn."

Check, check ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom