Westward Ho!, Devon, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. In America, it is literally incorrect to capitalize articles, conjunctions, and prepositions in titles.

2. I was not aware that it changed around the world, hence why my post said it was incorrect.

3. Kindly stop trying to belittle the US every chance you get. We have our faults, but calling our grammar inferior is beyond absurd.

American English is demonstrably inferior and incorrect, so I will belittle it every chance I get.

Or I'm just a pedantic arsehole, one of the two.

American English is demonstrably inferior and incorrect, so I will belittle it every chance I get.

:lol: I agree with Pfan that the regular America bashing you do is pretty ridiculous, especially in regards to grammar.

Besides, I don't hear the fucking U in "colour", do you? Forgive us for saving time. :p

Demonstrably? Just because it's different than yours and others?

I would argue our system of measure is inferior because it creates the need for unnecessary conversions. However, I don't see that problem in grammar.

Woah, Spain won Euro 2008? Everyboy's Favourite Chokers didn't choke? :ohmy:

/random

:lol: I agree with Pfan that the regular America bashing you do is pretty ridiculous, especially in regards to grammar.

Besides, I don't hear the fucking U in "colour", do you? Forgive us for saving time. :p

Actually, I do. "Colour" and "color" would be pronounced differently. "Colour" gives the correct pronunciation. "Color" would have a shorter, harder final syllable.

hehe, oops!

i've been to the one in vegas. it's at the flamingo. we were staying right across at caesars palace (i gotta stay loyal to my employer! i'm such a dork) so it was no big deal. i loved the way the flamingo looked inside though, it's so...pink! :love:

anyway, the atmosphere and everything at margaritaville is fun, but we had a horrible waitress. she was nice to my dad and me because we ordered alcohol. my mom just got tea and got treated like shit. that doesn't sit well with me.

That's fucked up. I'm thinking that has to be an isolated incident. Or at least it better be.

Actually, I do. "Colour" and "color" would be pronounced differently. "Colour" gives the correct pronunciation. "Color" would have a shorter, harder final syllable.

Ah, that would explain it then. However, I've seen folks pronounce it in the manner that "color" would call for, whilst spelling it "colour". Don't ask me why.

running to standstill :wink:

Oh GOD, U2.com for the fail.

And speaking of capitalisation, I loved how inconsistent they were. Some titles were fully capitalised, some were selective, and some had only the first word capitalised. At least choose a style and stick with it!

Oh GOD, U2.com for the fail.

And speaking of capitalisation, I loved how inconsistent they were. Some titles were fully capitalised, some were selective, and some had only the first word capitalised. At least choose a style and stick with it!
yeah. you'd think someone was just rushing to post the info, but it was the same every time, leading me to think there was a database or something. their whole news section is just so weird.

I enjoyed when we all typed in our respective accents. I like showing off my Philadelphian prowess.

I have no noticeable accent at all. There are people here that do, but I was born to parents from the opposite side of the country, so...

My mother is one of those accent-less people (born in Jersey, grew up in St. Louis, high school in PA). My three younger brothers got her accent-less accent. I got my dad's Philadelphian accent. It's not much different than normal.

Demonstrably? Just because it's different than yours and others?

I would argue our system of measure is inferior because it creates the need for unnecessary conversions. However, I don't see that problem in grammar.

Not to continue an argument, but just because I'd rather not look like I've dodged the question: demonstrably, yes, because Webster was a fool. :wink: I'd consider how the English spell their own language to be correct, and the Oxford English Dictionary to be definitive. Webster's attempt to "simplify" the language just makes me think of those annoying people today who use "zie" and "hir".

I have no noticeable accent at all. There are people here that do, but I was born to parents from the opposite side of the country, so...

I'd be willing to bet you have a quite noticable American accent. :wink:

Not to continue an argument, but just because I'd rather not look like I've dodged the question: demonstrably, yes, because Webster was a fool. :wink: I'd consider how the English spell their own language to be correct, and the Oxford English Dictionary to be definitive. Webster's attempt to "simplify" the language just makes me think of those annoying people today who use "zie" and "hir".

You're only arguing the motive of the person who set the American English precedent. It is what it is today, and it doesn't cause the problems something like measuring systems so actually cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom