Westward Ho!, Devon, England Superthread - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
One early version began with Some Like It Hot, but it didn't work out the way I thought it would, so it was shelved.

I don't think Power Station was really new wave, anyway. They were more straight ahead rock.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #392
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,800
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I agree with you. The things that bother me are that some punk bands get so much praise for doing so little and that punk is talked about by the media as this revolutionary thing while they rarely talk about prog rock.
I agree that the media treats prog rock unfairly. The amount of great melodies that were concocted during that period was unreal, even if you have to occasionally apply patience and discipline to unearth them. That's the kind of thing any good critic should praise.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #393
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I agree with you. The things that bother me are that some punk bands get so much praise for doing so little and that punk is talked about by the media as this revolutionary thing while they rarely talk about prog rock.
I think punk deserves the recognition, but I also agree that prog rarely gets the same accolades and should.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #394
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Sometimes the simplest of sounds turn out pretty good.

All those songs from the 50's and early 60's were simple. Sometimes just three chords produces magic in its own right.
Let me use this analogy, for the most part that was before music became really advanced it was like the time before the forward pass in football was invented. Afterwards it doesn't make sense to use the forward pass instead of running all the time. I hope that makes sense but I don't think it actually does.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #395
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,800
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
pot, meet kettle
00's is the worst decade of popular music so far. The 80's had a rocky period at the start, but still had lots of wonderful music.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #396
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Let me use this analogy, for the most part that was before music became really advanced it was like the time before the forward pass in football was invented. Afterwards it doesn't make sense to use the forward pass instead of running all the time. I hope that makes sense but I don't think it actually does.
No, I understand what you mean. And that's precisely why punk came into play then. Some people were getting tired of the excess in rock, and decided to go back to basics.

Going back to basics happens a lot, not just in music. It's the circle of life.

Yes, I just quoted The Lion King.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #397
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I agree that the media treats prog rock unfairly. The amount of great melodies that were concocted during that period was unreal, even if you have to occasionally apply patience and discipline to unearth them. That's the kind of thing any good critic should praise.
Don't you and Phanan find it frustrating that The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Ramones are more highly regarded then these great prog rock bands? That they are talked about on the same level as the great bands?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #398
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 01:27 PM
60s, 70s, and 80s music



BTW, you don't see many prog bands in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. They are always overlooked (Genesis, Yes, Rush,...)
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Don't you and Phanan find it frustrating that The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Ramones are more highly regarded then these great prog rock bands? That they are talked about on the same level as the great bands?
As I said, the great prog rock bands most definitely should get the same recognition. Absolutely. I get very frustrated when the likes of Yes can't get into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, no matter how much of a joke it is.

Doesn't mean that punk doesn't deserve any, though.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #400
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,600
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
One early version began with Some Like It Hot, but it didn't work out the way I thought it would, so it was shelved.

I don't think Power Station was really new wave, anyway. They were more straight ahead rock.
yeah, i agree. if i were to use any sister project of theirs, it'd have to be arcadia. anything else wouldn't fit.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #401
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
yeah, i agree. if i were to use any sister project of theirs, it'd have to be arcadia. anything else wouldn't fit.
Yeah, Arcadia would work.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #402
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
60s, 70s, and 80s music



BTW, you don't see many prog bands in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. They are always overlooked (Genesis, Yes, Rush,...)
There was actually a discussion about this a few months ago. It has everything to do with the head of Rolling Stone and the people he hires having a major bias against progressive music.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #403
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,800
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Don't you and Phanan find it frustrating that The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Ramones are more highly regarded then these great prog rock bands? That they are talked about on the same level as the great bands?
I personally think the Sex Pistols suck. Objectively and subjectively. The Clash were probably the most talented punk group of their era (besides some CBGBs bands like Television that were influenced by this punk sound and were absolutely unreal), and The Ramones, while nothing special objectively, are a lot of fun. Punk isn't really my thing, but the latter two deserve the accolades.

Of course, so do Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and countless other prog rock groups that are spit on these days.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #404
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,600
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
00's is the worst decade of popular music so far. The 80's had a rocky period at the start, but still had lots of wonderful music.
i love early 80s! to each their own.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #405
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,600
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Yeah, Arcadia would work.
yeah. i don't plan on using them though. to have two related groups on an 80 minute cd seems like overkill for me.
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com