We're thinking about buying a digital camera...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
Any suggestions, for what you have and like/don't like and/or a good site to comparison shop?

I think we know that we want something with 4 or greater megapixels, but that's about it. Willing to spend between $250 and $400...

I kinda like the type of camera that Sicy and someone else on here has. I think it's the Olympus Camedia C -50 5MP. Ive been watching for them on ebay occasionally. but of course when they get cheap enough, I never seem to have the money.

I would definitely go with Canon.

Imaging Resource is IMO, one of the best sites out there to help you make sense of the different brands, features, etc.

:)

I use Nikon Coolpix 885 for my investigative work; good reliable shots, from close-up to long-range with various options for lighting; I can actually take night=time freeway shots without flash; night-time scene inspections, etc. I have video capababilities.

BAW has the Nikon Coolpix 2100; its smaller, lighter and takes really good pics. doesn't have the tele. range feature that mine does but its good and the price is right.

Both Nikons are small and easy to hold onto for long periods of time, concerts, Disneyland, parties, etc.

Many choices out there...good luck!

We have the Olympus CAMEDIA C-740 Ultra Zoom. It is versitile, having a 10X optical zoom (avoid digital zoom as it only degrades the picture quality).

Taking pictures and transferring them to the computer is very easy. The camera is a little bulky - it won't fit into a shirt pocket.

My only beef with the camera is the delay between pressing the "shutter" button and the actual taking of a picture. Since I like to take action shots (like my son's sporting events), I have to do some predictive picture taking. The response is no where near the response of a SLR camera. You might test the response time when checking out cameras at a store.

my little el cheapo digital camera died last year. I had some great fun with that thing and occassionally managed to take some good shots. My parents gave me $200 and a catalogue from a local camera shop for Christmas...it was so thoughtful of them. But at the time , replacing my car was THE priority.
So I'm "thinking" of buying a digital camera too, but not for some time. When it is a reality , this thread will be handy, thanks.
Hub brought the snazzy one home from work so I could take a few pictures of Otto, but I didn't like it very much.
As someone who remembers using a box brownie( mum still has it) I am stunned by what is available these days and how cheap some of the technology is...now if only solar panels would get so relatively cheap.:)
have fun with it when you get it

While were talking about cameras....Can anyone recommend a battery to me? I have a Kodak and I love it except for the extremely short battery life. I have rechargable batteries but is there a different type of battery?

Thanks for the ideas - and for reminding me about the timing thing nbc! My current regular camera has a slight delay as well that is annoying, although I wonder if it is related to the flash and/or red eye?

Has anyone ordered hard copy prints from any of the online places like Snapfish after uploading your pics? Scanned-in regular pics don't come back well (I had wanted extra copies), but I wonder if the digital originals come out decently.

bonosloveslave said:
Has anyone ordered hard copy prints from any of the online places like Snapfish after uploading your pics? Scanned-in regular pics don't come back well (I had wanted extra copies), but I wonder if the digital originals come out decently.

They do, depending on the place. Cheap places like Walmart will not look as nice, and they will also crop your photo.

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with places in the US, but I know that in Canada, Japan Camera is the best to get your digital prints done (online). They don't crop and the quality is great, of course, depending on how good your camera is.

bonosloveslave said:

I've ordered many pictures from differnt on-line sources. Costco Online has been the best source for general pictures - good quality, quick response time and low cost. Snapfish is alright as well. My Christmas cards came through Snapfish.

With a 3.2 megapixal camera, we can make clear prints up to 5X7. The higher the megapixal count, the larger the print can be.

Back
Top Bottom