We're "crying it out" tonight - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 03:27 AM
We're "crying it out" tonight

So our beautiful daughter Addie is 4 1/2 months old now, and she's the most adorable thing in the whole entire world. Except in order to sleep, she needs to be swaddled, rocked, shushed, held sideways, and given a pacifier, and she wakes up 2-5 times a night. So tonight, after having read like 4 sleep books (okay, so Mrs. Utoo read them all... ), we're finally doing Ferber.

We put her down around 8 tonight & she bawled right off the bat. Checked on her after 3 minutes & still crying. Went in 5 minutes later, then 10 minutes after that---still screaming. So hard! But you know what? Twenty-five minutes after we put her down, she was passed out.

So....fingers crossed.....hopefully this won't be a terrible ordeal forever & Addie can figure out this sleep thing before too long.





man, i don't think i've ever used that many smilies...
__________________

__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 02:27 AM
Re: We're "crying it out" tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
So our beautiful daughter Addie is 4 1/2 months old now, and she's the most adorable thing in the whole entire world. Except in order to sleep, she needs to be swaddled, rocked, shushed, held sideways, and given a pacifier, and she wakes up 2-5 times a night. So tonight, after having read like 4 sleep books (okay, so Mrs. Utoo read them all... ), we're finally doing Ferber.

We put her down around 8 tonight & she bawled right off the bat. Checked on her after 3 minutes & still crying. Went in 5 minutes later, then 10 minutes after that---still screaming. So hard! But you know what? Twenty-five minutes after we put her down, she was passed out.

So....fingers crossed.....hopefully this won't be a terrible ordeal forever & Addie can figure out this sleep thing before too long.





man, i don't think i've ever used that many smilies...

Wow, good luck!

My daughter was the worst sleeper ever, and I tried that for a night. About 2 or 3 hours in, she was STILL screaming at the top of her lungs, and I couldn't take it anymore. I said screw it, picked her up, and that was the end of that experiment.

She continued to be a poor sleeper, often sleeping with me up till she started school. On the bright side, they eventually do sleep better. You rarely see a teenager refusing to sleep.
__________________

__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
blm
New Yorker
 
blm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: north and south of bono
Posts: 2,506
Local Time: 03:27 AM
noticed your thread, and I wish you the best of luck, Utoo.
I remember those days and I have heard great things bout Richard Ferbers method.
I think overall- things come in stages. it gets better and then for awhile, something makes them change. and then it gets better again. trading off, patience, and lots of humor will get you through. good luck with your wonderful baby.

__________________
blm is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,036
Local Time: 06:27 PM
What's Ferbers?? Leave them till they get exhausted??
__________________
cobl04 is online now  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
The Fly
 
mono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 114
Local Time: 04:27 AM
from Wiki:

Primarily, it involves progressively training children to put themselves to sleep autonomously (in other words, fall asleep on their own). While some regard it as a cold, callous approach, most experts regard it as simply one of many possible approaches in dealing with children who have difficulty falling asleep alone. Some people do not feel that getting a baby to sleep alone is a worthwhile objective, and instead advocate the "family bed" or co-sleeping approach.
__________________
mono is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
What's Ferbers?? Leave them till they get exhausted??
Kiiind of, but not really. Basically, you're causing them to figure out how to fall asleep on their own without "negative sleep associations." We all have sleep associations---I need my pillow to be molded in a certain way to be comfortable. And we all wake up at least once during the night---but if our sleep associations are just how they were when we went to bed, then we go back...you wake up for half a second, roll to your side or whatever, and go back to sleep. But if the associations are different, then it's harder to go back. For example, if you wake up and your pillow's gone, you look for it. If it's on the floor, you figure you knocked it off and it's all good an you go back to sleep. If, to use Ferber's example in his book, you wake up in the middle of the night and not only do you not have your pillow, but you're on the living room floor---you get pretty wigged out and it's definitely harder to go back!

Basically, for Addie, she's gotten to the point where she needs to be swaddled, rocked, shushed, etc. in order to fall asleep. When she wakes up in the middle of the night and neither my wife nor I are there, she's not being rocked or shushed, and her pacifier's on the mattress instead of her mouth-----it's like she's waking up on the living room floor!

Ferber and methods like it are essentially about getting your baby to not need the sleep associations that require someone else to put her to sleep, and instead to learn how to put herself to sleep----especially for the times that she wakes up in the middle of the night and doesn't really need anything except to make sure that the associations are all still in order. The part that sucks is that the first few nights pretty much do involve her crying until she figures out how to calm herself on her own. But for a lot of babies, it often takes just a few nights, with each night supposedly getting better until they sleep on their own after a few nights............hopefully!
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mono
from Wiki:

Some people do not feel that getting a baby to sleep alone is a worthwhile objective, and instead advocate the "family bed" or co-sleeping approach.

Kind of, but not exactly.... Co-sleeping doesn't necessarily involve the kid learning how to sleep or even sleeping well. There are plenty of stories of co-sleeping kids who need to be rubbed, rocked, or something else in order to fall asleep, and still wake up multiple times through the night; not all co-sleeping kids fall asleep just because the parents are there, but instead still need something else.

Co-sleeping has its own mixed bag of benefits and drawbacks, and I wouldn't necessarily say that "sleeping through the night" is one of the main intentions of it. Just to clarify.
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 03:27 AM
utoo,

I went thru this with my son, he was basically the same as Addie. I read all the books too.. Cuz it was making me lose my mind him waking up so often... I too, used this method and it worked over a few days or so. He was better for it in the end.. Even though I lost sleep (many hours) listening to him cry and scream till he wore himself out. It killed me not to go in there but I stuck to my guns and it paid off in the end. Don't feel guilty or let other people make you feel any less of a parent. What you are doing is the right thing..
Hang in there!
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
fah
Blue Crack Addict
 
fah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In my house with the rest of fahs
Posts: 20,147
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Ferber
__________________
fah is offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 03:27 AM
I wish they would do this to my little brother already. He's two years old and he can't fall asleep on his own. Drives me bonkers.

Utoo

My parents did this to both my brother and me when we were wee babies and we sleep like rocks now.
__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Schmeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ATL
Posts: 17,688
Local Time: 03:27 AM
I misread 4 1/2 years at first.

Good luck; I'm not a parent but I've heard lots of parents say you have to do this if you ever want them to sleep on their own. Imagine if she did get to 4 1/2 years needing all that to fall asleep!
__________________
Schmeg is offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,036
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo


Kiiind of, but not really. Basically, you're causing them to figure out how to fall asleep on their own without "negative sleep associations." We all have sleep associations---I need my pillow to be molded in a certain way to be comfortable. And we all wake up at least once during the night---but if our sleep associations are just how they were when we went to bed, then we go back...you wake up for half a second, roll to your side or whatever, and go back to sleep. But if the associations are different, then it's harder to go back. For example, if you wake up and your pillow's gone, you look for it. If it's on the floor, you figure you knocked it off and it's all good an you go back to sleep. If, to use Ferber's example in his book, you wake up in the middle of the night and not only do you not have your pillow, but you're on the living room floor---you get pretty wigged out and it's definitely harder to go back!

Basically, for Addie, she's gotten to the point where she needs to be swaddled, rocked, shushed, etc. in order to fall asleep. When she wakes up in the middle of the night and neither my wife nor I are there, she's not being rocked or shushed, and her pacifier's on the mattress instead of her mouth-----it's like she's waking up on the living room floor!

Ferber and methods like it are essentially about getting your baby to not need the sleep associations that require someone else to put her to sleep, and instead to learn how to put herself to sleep----especially for the times that she wakes up in the middle of the night and doesn't really need anything except to make sure that the associations are all still in order. The part that sucks is that the first few nights pretty much do involve her crying until she figures out how to calm herself on her own. But for a lot of babies, it often takes just a few nights, with each night supposedly getting better until they sleep on their own after a few nights............hopefully!
Ah ok, thanks much for the clarification! I'll go ask mum if I needed that.
__________________
cobl04 is online now  
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 03:27 AM
^ No worries.



So, UPDATE: Last night was good---for the first half. She fell asleep after 25 minutes the first time, then 8 minutes the second, then 2 minutes the third. Then, she cried almost the whole time from 4am to 6am. That was our fault---we were bad parents and thought that we couldn't feed her right away or else we'd kind of erase what we'd done. But we caved and fed her and she slept great afterward.

Tonight, we just put her down a little bit ago & it took her only 8 minutes---so hopefully the middle-of-the-night wakings will be even shorter like they were last night. Fingers crossed!!!
__________________
Utoo is offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 03:27 AM
that's a good start...


things will only get better...
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 02:27 AM
Good luck with that!

My Mom apparently did that with me, although I wasn't the worst sleeper. I'd scream when they put me down but I wasn't waking up too many times. Then she decided she didn't like the method and didn't use it on my brother.

Interestingly I've been a lifelong insomniac and he can sleep standing up if needed. I don't think it has anything to do with this, but maybe I can blame my parents and get some sympathy points?
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com