Wendy-cum-Jolly, Hertfordshire Superthread - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 AM   #871
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Bugger. I slept from 5:30 to 7:00.

I'm never going to get to sleep tonight.
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #872
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Hi and bye to those coming and going.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #873
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I still haven't seen Old Country ( ) but I had helluva hard time getting through There Will Be Blood. The fact that I just wanted to know what ends up happening is the only thing that got me through it.


And yes, I still want to buy it for some reason.
Did the ending disappoint you at all?
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #874
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 08:05 PM
So, PFan, done with your list. The song selection mostly really appeals to me, and besides that difficult middle section, I have precious little criticism of the playlist's cohesion. It all comes together well and even the songs I don't like so much seem fitting and adequate in context. Only that brief run late in the second part started to lose me, due to my own tastes rather than any problem with your construction of the list, and then the REM track came up and all was good again. I think you've done a great job and I rather enjoyed listening to this.

Final mark: A-.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #875
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
So, PFan, done with your list. The song selection mostly really appeals to me, and besides that difficult middle section, I have precious little criticism of the playlist's cohesion. It all comes together well and even the songs I don't like so much seem fitting and adequate in context. Only that brief run late in the second part started to lose me, due to my own tastes rather than any problem with your construction of the list, and then the REM track came up and all was good again. I think you've done a great job and I rather enjoyed listening to this.

Final mark: A-.
The highest any Musketeer has ever gotten from Axver, ever.

You should be proud(?), Pfan. Personally, I liked LMP's list more, but that's just me.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #876
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Did the ending disappoint you at all?
PSH hell no. That was the savior of the movie right there. Seriously though, I watched it without really having any idea at all what the movie was supposed to be about, lost interest in it two minutes in. Got pretty interested again after stuff started happening, and then pretty much after they struck oil, lost interest again. But that ending I was all over that ending. It was only after I saw it that I saw all the jokes and stuff, so I rewatched the ending. I couldn't believe that while I was watching it initially, NOTHING struck me as odd that he was talking about Milkshakes
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #877
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
PSH hell no. That was the savior of the movie right there. Seriously though, I watched it without really having any idea at all what the movie was supposed to be about, lost interest in it two minutes in. Got pretty interested again after stuff started happening, and then pretty much after they struck oil, lost interest again. But that ending I was all over that ending. It was only after I saw it that I saw all the jokes and stuff, so I rewatched the ending. I couldn't believe that while I was watching it initially, NOTHING struck me as odd that he was talking about Milkshakes
Awesome.

I love the milkshake analogy. Heck, I've already used it once tonight to illustrate my usurpation of Screwy's trademark atmosphere for my DI5 list.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #878
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The highest any Musketeer has ever gotten from Axver, ever.

You should be proud(?), Pfan. Personally, I liked LMP's list more, but that's just me.
In terms of cohesion and genre diversity, LMP is ahead. His was quite exceptional in those department. But PFan has the songs to push him in front in my opinion.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 AM   #879
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Awesome.

I love the milkshake analogy. Heck, I've already used it once tonight to illustrate my usurpation of Screwy's trademark atmosphere for my DI5 list.
It MADE SENSE! Draaaaainage
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #880
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
It MADE SENSE! Draaaaainage
The only thing I didn't care for about the film is that it played into some Hollywood cliches such as "working with large businesses is a sign of corruption" and "all preachers are selfish, greedy bastards who couldn't care less about their congregation". The sad part is that these were present in spite of the film's protagonist being an anti-hero, which in itself is meant to defy cliche.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #881
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The only thing I didn't care for about the film is that it played into some Hollywood cliches such as "working with large businesses is a sign of corruption" and "all preachers are selfish, greedy bastards who couldn't care less about their congregation". The sad part is that these were present in spite of the film's protagonist being an anti-hero, which in itself is meant to defy cliche.
I didn't have a problem with the preacher, but I was disappointed that Daniel ends up being pretty crazy evil. His poor son and partner
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #882
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Did I miss PFan saying he was leaving or something?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #883
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 01:05 AM
So I reconstructed my DI3 list so I could listen to it again, see what I think months later. When I looked at the song selection I thought "what kind of crack was I smoking" but, listening to it, I must've put a lot of work into the transitions, because it sounds good so far. The only thing is, mostly NONE of these songs would appeal to anyone on interference but me.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:22 AM   #884
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Did I miss PFan saying he was leaving or something?
I was wondering the same thing. But he did say he was really tired.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #885
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 08:05 PM
He's fallen asleep at his computer or something?
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com