Wendy-cum-Jolly, Hertfordshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't seen Old Country :)sad: ) but I had helluva hard time getting through There Will Be Blood. The fact that I just wanted to know what ends up happening is the only thing that got me through it.

And yes, I still want to buy it for some reason.

Did the ending disappoint you at all?

So, PFan, done with your list. The song selection mostly really appeals to me, and besides that difficult middle section, I have precious little criticism of the playlist's cohesion. It all comes together well and even the songs I don't like so much seem fitting and adequate in context. Only that brief run late in the second part started to lose me, due to my own tastes rather than any problem with your construction of the list, and then the REM track came up and all was good again. I think you've done a great job and I rather enjoyed listening to this.

Final mark: A-.

So, PFan, done with your list. The song selection mostly really appeals to me, and besides that difficult middle section, I have precious little criticism of the playlist's cohesion. It all comes together well and even the songs I don't like so much seem fitting and adequate in context. Only that brief run late in the second part started to lose me, due to my own tastes rather than any problem with your construction of the list, and then the REM track came up and all was good again. I think you've done a great job and I rather enjoyed listening to this.

Final mark: A-.

The highest any Musketeer has ever gotten from Axver, ever.

You should be proud(?), Pfan. Personally, I liked LMP's list more, but that's just me.

Did the ending disappoint you at all?

PSH hell no. That was the savior of the movie right there. :laugh: Seriously though, I watched it without really having any idea at all what the movie was supposed to be about, lost interest in it two minutes in. Got pretty interested again after stuff started happening, and then pretty much after they struck oil, lost interest again. But that ending I was all over that ending. It was only after I saw it that I saw all the jokes and stuff, so I rewatched the ending. I couldn't believe that while I was watching it initially, NOTHING struck me as odd that he was talking about Milkshakes:lol:

PSH hell no. That was the savior of the movie right there. :laugh: Seriously though, I watched it without really having any idea at all what the movie was supposed to be about, lost interest in it two minutes in. Got pretty interested again after stuff started happening, and then pretty much after they struck oil, lost interest again. But that ending I was all over that ending. It was only after I saw it that I saw all the jokes and stuff, so I rewatched the ending. I couldn't believe that while I was watching it initially, NOTHING struck me as odd that he was talking about Milkshakes:lol:

:up: Awesome.

I love the milkshake analogy. Heck, I've already used it once tonight to illustrate my usurpation of Screwy's trademark atmosphere for my DI5 list.

The highest any Musketeer has ever gotten from Axver, ever.

You should be proud(?), Pfan. Personally, I liked LMP's list more, but that's just me.

In terms of cohesion and genre diversity, LMP is ahead. His was quite exceptional in those department. But PFan has the songs to push him in front in my opinion.

It MADE SENSE! :lol: Draaaaainage

The only thing I didn't care for about the film is that it played into some Hollywood cliches such as "working with large businesses is a sign of corruption" and "all preachers are selfish, greedy bastards who couldn't care less about their congregation". The sad part is that these were present in spite of the film's protagonist being an anti-hero, which in itself is meant to defy cliche.

The only thing I didn't care for about the film is that it played into some Hollywood cliches such as "working with large businesses is a sign of corruption" and "all preachers are selfish, greedy bastards who couldn't care less about their congregation". The sad part is that these were present in spite of the film's protagonist being an anti-hero, which in itself is meant to defy cliche.

I didn't have a problem with the preacher, but I was disappointed that Daniel ends up being pretty crazy evil. His poor son and partner :(

So I reconstructed my DI3 list so I could listen to it again, see what I think months later. When I looked at the song selection I thought "what kind of crack was I smoking" but, listening to it, I must've put a lot of work into the transitions, because it sounds good so far. The only thing is, mostly NONE of these songs would appeal to anyone on interference but me.

I didn't have a problem with the preacher, but I was disappointed that Daniel ends up being pretty crazy evil. His poor son and partner :(

You could see it in his eyes throughout the film. His affection for his son never felt genuine, and that's precisely the point. It's a sign of good acting on Day-Lewis' part.

But yes, it is quite crushing. I really felt for his son and cringed during his father's rant.

Ashley, shall we postwhore it up and get this to a new thread?

we shall.

Because otherwise I'll fall asleep, and I didn't buy all the songs necessary to finish my playlist to fall asleep listening to it :grumpy:

Wow, this thread has taken 24 hours. When was the last time that happened?

My transition/flow abilities always seem to slag off towards the end of my playlists :sigh:

For me, usually my start and end points are well defined and I come up with them first, but somewhere in the middle feels a bit iffy.

My current list, I think the cohesion is pretty damn solid all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom