Wendy-cum-Jolly, Hertfordshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your B+ for me last time was a huge surprise. Higher than that this time would surprise me even more.

The fact that even with the bands I'm not keen on, you've used songs I comparatively like (excluding Eleanor) puts you in good stead. The Gorillaz track surprised me. I expected it to suck, but it just passed me by with little fuss and now I'm onto Always Forever Now's awesomeness.

I said to LMP last time that A is reserved for lists that I really like both in terms of cohesion and song selection. B is for lists where I either really like the songs but think the cohesion is somewhat lacking, or lists where the cohesion is amazing but I don't really dig the songs so much.

Right now, you are in A territory.

The fact that even with the bands I'm not keen on, you've used songs I comparatively like (excluding Eleanor) puts you in good stead. The Gorillaz track surprised me. I expected it to suck, but it just passed me by with little fuss and now I'm onto Always Forever Now's awesomeness.

I said to LMP last time that A is reserved for lists that I really like both in terms of cohesion and song selection. B is for lists where I either really like the songs but think the cohesion is somewhat lacking, or lists where the cohesion is amazing but I don't really dig the songs so much.

Right now, you are in A territory.

I'm anticipating getting a B. I have a feeling you will have mixed feelings about some of the song quality in the second half.

I'm anticipating getting a B. I have a feeling you will have mixed feelings about some of the song quality in the second half.

That's where things fell apart for me, to be honest. :lol: I think I ended up giving you:

Flow: A-
Song enjoyment: B
Overall: B+

Always Forever Now --> Willing is the weakest segue so far, and in fact the only one I've even really noticed in any negative way. But I'm not saying it's bad or jarring or anything. The fact I like both songs helps. I think the comparative volume of the songs is what harms the segue most; if AFN were louder or Willing quieter, the segue's negative qualities would stand out less.

Always Forever Now --> Willing is the weakest segue so far, and in fact the only one I've even really noticed in any negative way. But I'm not saying it's bad or jarring or anything. The fact I like both songs helps. I think the comparative volume of the songs is what harms the segue most; if AFN were louder or Willing quieter, the segue's negative qualities would stand out less.

On a recent list I made, I fixed the sound volumes so they're all about even. :shh: I don't believe that's illegal.

See, I'm looking forward to the second half. PF, Queen, The Who, The Police, and REM should all be good. Pearl Jam have their moments.

I am nervous about your closing trio.

Agreed. I think the volume magnifies it.

The guitar tone of Ours immediately reminded me of early The Edge sound, hence the next transition.

On a recent list I made, I fixed the sound volumes so they're all about even. :shh: I don't believe that's illegal.

No, that's legal. I just don't know how to do it myself, or I'd apply it to my lists.

See, I'm looking forward to the second half. PF, Queen, The Who, The Police, and REM should all be good. Pearl Jam have their moments.

I am nervous about your closing trio.

Oh, I know, it's the closing trio plus Genesis and Steely Dan I think you wouldn't dig too much.

Agreed. I think the volume magnifies it.

The guitar tone of Ours immediately reminded me of early The Edge sound, hence the next transition.

And the volume problem strikes again. Willing --> Rejoice would be so much better if they were the same volume. Otherwise, good pairing. And fuck, I love Rejoice.

And the volume problem strikes again. Willing --> Rejoice would be so much better if they were the same volume. Otherwise, good pairing. And fuck, I love Rejoice.

The same thing happened when LMP paired Like Eating Glass with Rejoice on his DI5. That song was recorded SO quietly.

Dare I mention that Piano Lessons used to be on Pfan's list?

That song wouldn't fit anywhere. I'm serious. It's the last 10 seconds of the song that made it a potential playlist killer.

Dare I mention that Piano Lessons used to be on Pfan's list?

That song wouldn't fit anywhere. I'm serious. It's the last 10 seconds of the song that made it a potential playlist killer.

It would be fine if they hadn't taken the last 28 seconds of the song and made it a separate track for absolutely no reason.

Literally the only reason Porcupine Tree isn't on this playlist.

Simple solution to the Piano Lessons problem: use the single version. Phanan did last time around.

I take great mirth in picturing Axver's face when he hears the Supermassive Black Hole--->Blackest Eyes segue on my list.

It's actually pretty good, but the contrast between his enjoyment of the two songs will do to him what a hot pot of tea does to an ice cube on impact.

Nice and unusual segue from So Divided (not a bad track itself) intoi Pigs.

I find Pink Floyd songs incredibly challenging to decipher for guitar playing purposes.

The only part of Pigs I can play is the clean guitar during the middle solo.

I take great mirth in picturing Axver's face when he hears the Supermassive Black Hole--->Blackest Eyes segue on my list.

It's actually pretty good, but the contrast between his enjoyment of the two songs will do to him what a hot pot of tea does to an ice cube on impact.

Yeah, I hate you for that pairing.

:wink:

Simple solution to the Piano Lessons problem: use the single version. Phanan did last time around.

I was so frustrated by it, I didn't think of alternatives, I just nixed it. It was literally on my last draft before the final one before I finally gave up on it.

Nice and unusual segue from So Divided (not a bad track itself) intoi Pigs.

That was my most ... (I guess creative is the word I'm looking for) creative segue on the list.

Coincidentally, I put Collins era Genesis in just to piss Axver off.

He's so next. Us Musketeers are gonna fuck his day up. :shifty:

:lol:

Is it a coincidence that my list is not only the final one of the Musketeers' he has to listen to, but also guaranteed to be his least favorite? I think not.

I was so frustrated by it, I didn't think of alternatives, I just nixed it. It was literally on my last draft before the final one before I finally gave up on it.

Actually, I must admit I wouldn't use the single version myself. Not so keen on it. I wish it were just the album version with a proper ending, but it sounds a bit different too; inferior, to my ears anyway.

I'm taking his old posts and chopping them up to make new ones.

I wonder if he's posted in any of these "What are you eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?" threads. I need to figure out a meal for tomorrow, and what better way than to just do exactly what LMP does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom