Wendy-cum-Jolly, Hertfordshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. A Thousand Years - Sting
2. Invisible Sun - The Police
3. Mad World - Gary Jules and Michael Andrews
4. Clocks - Coldplay
5. Miss Sarajevo - Passengers
6. Your Hand in Mine (With Strings) - Explosions in the Sky
7. Sonho Dourado - Daniel Lanois
8. Heartland - U2
9. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. Grey Street - Dave Matthews Band
11. Walk Away - Franz Ferdinand
12. Yesterday - The Beatles
13. Fire and Rain - James Taylor
14. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - Bruce Springsteen
15. Down by the Seaside - Led Zeppelin
16. Beginnings - Chicago

For those who don't remember, there it is.

OK PFan, just successfully downloaded Part 1 and am ordering it in WinAmp now.

1. A Thousand Years - Sting
2. Invisible Sun - The Police
3. Mad World - Gary Jules and Michael Andrews
4. Clocks - Coldplay
5. Miss Sarajevo - Passengers
6. Your Hand in Mine (With Strings) - Explosions in the Sky
7. Sonho Dourado - Daniel Lanois
8. Heartland - U2
9. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. Grey Street - Dave Matthews Band
11. Walk Away - Franz Ferdinand
12. Yesterday - The Beatles
13. Fire and Rain - James Taylor
14. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - Bruce Springsteen
15. Down by the Seaside - Led Zeppelin
16. Beginnings - Chicago

For those who don't remember, there it is.

:ohmy: That looks awesome. I wish I had listened in on that contest, but I didn't have time :(

My DI4 got sucked into the pretentiousness bubble. Not entirely, but enough for me to resent what I did.

I still enjoy the final six tracks and select parts of it, but the concept is painful to read.

Explanation of my opening track summarized by this post.

:ohmy: That looks awesome. I wish I had listened in on that contest, but I didn't have time :(

The Symphonic Album Game was arguably my favorite DI-related competition. Well, maybe DI2 was a bit better.

DI1 was umm...not exactly DI at its best.
DI2 was the peak.
Symphonic Album Game was an artistic success, definitely.
DI3 was good fun, but not my favorite.
DI4 was generally a failure IMO. The regular bitching about voting methods, the lack of votes, the terrible setup of the divisions (fuck that hat in the face), etc.

DI5, please don't suck. :pray:

I own a set of America themed songs that I bought just to get that National Anthem. When I announce baseball games in the post-season, there are introductions that include the National Anthem, so I needed a copy. To make it better, it's really cheesy, so it worked well with the point I was trying to make.

DI5 will improve over DI4, I'm sure, since everyone wants to avoid DI4 happening again.

The Symphonic Album Game was arguably my favorite DI-related competition. Well, maybe DI2 was a bit better.

DI1 was umm...not exactly DI at its best.
DI2 was the peak.
Symphonic Album Game was an artistic success, definitely.
DI3 was good fun, but not my favorite.
DI4 was generally a failure IMO. The regular bitching about voting methods, the lack of votes, the terrible setup of the divisions (fuck that hat in the face), etc.

DI5, please don't suck. :pray:

I didn't get to participate in DI1, but I absolutely loved everything about DI2. DI3 I missed out on because I didn't notice the sign-up thread, and I had a list I was REALLY happy with for it. So I was gonna use that list for DI4, but then the Great iPod Crash of '08 happened, and I completely lost my list :sad:, and I couldn't remember the tracklistings to save my life. Then there was the voting. I was so frustrated because my list sucked, I didn't understand the voting til John finally step-by-step explained it to me, then I had to watch myself pointlessly go up for voting two more times after it was obvious that I LOST. That's why I keep going a little :crazy: about my DIV list. I wish I could find my DI3 tracklisting. I can't use it exactly cause I know I used a few of the songs from it, but I could at least use it as an outline.

Retro Island was the one I had the funnest with, simply cause I didn't really have to think too hard for it, and I could get away with putting as much synthy stuff on my list as I wanted. Plus I don't reallycare that I'm losing horribly.

I own a set of America themed songs that I bought just to get that National Anthem. When I announce baseball games in the post-season, there are introductions that include the National Anthem, so I needed a copy. To make it better, it's really cheesy, so it worked well with the point I was trying to make.

Hah, right. And then leading into EITS is good. Fucking solid song. I'm using it myself.

Wait, what the hell was so bad about DI IV?

I think it was better than DI III. DI III made me not want to run the tournament again. DI IV restored my faith in it somewhat.

DI5 will improve over DI4, I'm sure, since everyone wants to avoid DI4 happening again.

Well, I'm sure that not everyone feels the same way about it as we do. There are very clear, obvious reasons why someone like me or LMP would have a bad taste in our mouths after those two months, but others that weren't so emotionally involved probably had a great time.

But, even objectively, it's clear that improvements can be made.

I think it was better than DI III. DI III made me not want to run the tournament again. DI IV restored my faith in it somewhat.

DI4 has tons of unnecessary arguments and drama about voting methods (how concept should play in; what the hell "experience" means, etc.) and whether one should be allowed to post in a thread, "Hey, everyone vote for me in this competition!"

Well, I'm sure that not everyone feels the same way about it as we do. There are very clear, obvious reasons why someone like me or LMP would have a bad taste in our mouths after those two months, but others that weren't so emotionally involved probably had a great time.

But, even objectively, it's clear that improvements can be made.

Yeah, I genuinely felt a bit shafted in some respects. I'm cool with people voting against me, but do it for a half-legitimate reason.

I think EITS > Arcade Fire is the roughest transition on my whole list. Lucky I got that out of the way early.

First Breath After Coma leads well into the Arcade Fire track. Let's see what I make of this.

You illustrate my above point very well. :wink:

Anyway, the reasons are largely as follows:

• The lack of votes - it's entirely out of our control, but frustrating just the same
  • The drama - if you didn't notice it, you must have been living under a rock with caulk in your ears :lol:
  • The divisions - yes, I'm not the only one who has complained about this

Two out of three can be fixed, and that could make all the difference. BTW, what was wrong with DI3?

I think EITS > Arcade Fire is the roughest transition on my whole list. Lucky I got that out of the way early.

Ha, love how I posted the exact opposite opinion at the same time. I think it's good, though it'd be better if the Arcade Fire's male vocalist had a lighter voice.

The overall transition is pretty good, it's just the actual immediate transition kind of collides, you know?

I think that whichever DI tournament has the Fake List in it should be the loosest of all, and folks should be more experimental than ever with their lists. Even if their ideas are terrible. I'm shooting for DI6, BTW.

OH. My. God.

So as I was posting that long post about DI, I remembered that I sent a screen cap of my DI3 list to Chass.

Guess what I just found.

I think that whichever DI tournament has the Fake List in it should be the loosest of all, and folks should be more experimental than ever with their lists. Even if their ideas are terrible. I'm shooting for DI6, BTW.

I'll create a list entirely composed of songs that use the word "fuck" at some point.

DI4 has tons of unnecessary arguments and drama about voting methods (how concept should play in; what the hell "experience" means, etc.) and whether one should be allowed to post in a thread, "Hey, everyone vote for me in this competition!"

Oh yeah, that was all kinds of irritating. I think perhaps I see this differently because it was the first tournament I didn't run, so I consciously tried to keep out of the politics and it was really nice to simply observe for once. So for me, I felt like there was less drama and difficulty.

Also, on your DI V list, I like how the Arcade Fire and Radiohead songs help really pick up the rockin' pace of things after the instrumental start. Good transition to up the tempo and shit. Plus, I like Electioneering.

You illustrate my above point very well. :wink:

Anyway, the reasons are largely as follows:

• The lack of votes - it's entirely out of our control, but frustrating just the same
  • The drama - if you didn't notice it, you must have been living under a rock with caulk in your ears :lol:
  • The divisions - yes, I'm not the only one who has complained about this

Two out of three can be fixed, and that could make all the difference. BTW, what was wrong with DI3?

I felt DI III was shithouse in terms of voter participation. DI in general seemed on the decline and I lost interest. I believe DI IV picked up a bit on the participation, hence restored faith.

I also never understood why you guys complained about group 4 so much. Tough group, yes, but that's not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom