well I know where my next $20 is going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.uncut.net/
cover_december03.jpg

The Clash
Almost a year after Joe Strummer's death, The Clash's reputation as the quintessential punk rebels is stronger than ever. In this 30-page special, Uncut, with the help of an all-star line-up of singers, bands and writers, counts down the Top 30 greatest ever Clash anthems

Mick Jones and Paul Simonon
Two of the three surviving desperados from The Last Gang In Town have their say on our Top 10 greatest Clash songs

Two CDs
A Tribute To The Clash
Specially recorded covers by artists including:
Edwyn Collins, Josh Rouse, Thea Gilmore, Asian Dub Foundation, Hammell On Trial, Billy Bragg, Sparks, Jesse Malin, Cracker, Cracker, Peter Wylie, Tomm Stinson and an exclusive Joe Strummer track.

CD1
cd1.jpg

Stiff Little Fingers - Strummerville
Songdog - Janie Jones
Hammell On Trial - White Riot/Hitsville UK
Matthew Ryan - Somebody Got Murdered
Hawksley Workman - Bankrobber
Marc Carroll - London Calling
Josh Rouse - Straight To Hell
Kealer - Train In Vain
Mr David Viner - Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
Thea Gilmore - I'm Not Down
Jeff Klein - The Guns Of Brixton
The Caravans - Know Your Rights
Asian Dub Foundation & Zebda - Police On My Back
Terry Edwards & The Scapegoats - Version City
Edwyn Collins - 1977
The Fiery Furnaces - One More Time
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Long Shadow

CD2
cd2.jpg

Jesse Malin - Death Or Glory
Billy Bragg & The Neurotics - Garageland
Sparks - We Are the Clash
Adam Masterson - Gates Of The West
Nouvelle Vague - The Guns Of Brixton
The National - Clampdown
Cracker - White Riot
The Waco Brothers - I Fought The Law
The Hyperjax - Capital Radio
Janie Jones & The Lash - House Of The Ju Ju Queen
Tommy Stinson - Hateful
Pete Wylie - Stay Free
My Red Cell - Career Opportunities
The Bandits - The Guns Of Brixton
Joy Zipper - Hitsville UK
Joe Strummer & The Mascaleros - Long Shadow

:drool: HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

i....want.....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it must be the December issue because I've seen it everywhere here for the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure how long after us the US gets it, though. :shrug: I would guess about three/four weeks, judging by Q and other monthly magazines.

$8.95 is a bit much to spend on a magazine, special tribute cd or no special tribute cd.

but it had to be done. it's the freakin CLASH for christ's sake!

it's so worth it.

Thanks for the heads up!!! Will have to get to Barnes and Noble very, very soon!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

Jesse Malin - Death Or Glory
Billy Bragg & The Neurotics - Garageland
Sparks - We Are the Clash
Adam Masterson - Gates Of The West
Nouvelle Vague - The Guns Of Brixton
The National - Clampdown
Cracker - White Riot
The Waco Brothers - I Fought The Law
The Hyperjax - Capital Radio
Janie Jones & The Lash - House Of The Ju Ju Queen
Tommy Stinson - Hateful
Pete Wylie - Stay Free
My Red Cell - Career Opportunities
The Bandits - The Guns Of Brixton
Joy Zipper - Hitsville UK
Joe Strummer & The Mascaleros - Long Shadow

most of those songs are awful. 'i fought the law' is amusing cos they're trying too hard to sound like the clash. jesse malin makes billy bragg listenable (quite the feat), but if you like him maybe you might think otherwise. for example, bc might kill me for saying that :shifty:

actually, i haven't listened to the whole thing as of commenting, i'm only up to track 10...but i've already heard janie jones and the lash (it scared me), and i know that the final track fucking rules...

you know you cast a long shadow on the ground

capital radio is...interesting...

honestly, i'm going to think they all suck though, with the exception of strummerville (SLF) and the joe & the mescaleros track.

i'm still amazed at how much article there is, so i haven't actually started reading it yet...

:hyper: i'll go as soon as i can and get it! then again, if it's december i'll wait cause i always plan too far ahead on these uncut magazines (always=did for u2 one)

to be fairly honest i couldn't give a crap about the cd

it's a nice bonus i guess, and i suppose i would like to have 'strummerville' on disc

but as the oft-quoted line goes, it's all about the articles

i borrowed an uncut from the library once with a feature piece on neil young

i thought it was so great i went and bought after the gold rush

Yeah, the cds or whatever don't interest me at all. I'm not a big fan of most tributes.

so how'd you rate the article? the top 30 i saw posted on another site. no police & thieves :evil: no way rock the casbah is better than rudie can't fail, mag seven, i'm so bored, or spanish bombs though. and where the hell is clampdown, capital radio, english civil war and the CARD CHEAT?

i agree with #1 being white man in hammersmith palais...

i'd NEVER put polive and theives on a list of top 30 clash songs

WHERE THE HELL IS DEATH OR GLORY????????????????????

rudie can't fail is in my top 5 favourite clash songs. its actual rank within that top 5 changes, but it's one of the best songs ever. faaaar better than 1977.

i think stay free could have done better. i always forget how brilliant a song that is.

i'm so sick of rock the casbah. it's a great song and all, i don't know how i'd feel if it wasn't 'the song everyone knows'. ditto on 'should i stay or should i go'.

bob geldof has something up his ass, and i still don't understand what it is...

broadways is a great song, and i love the opening line, but it wouldn't be my 20th favourite song by them....

did i like seeing somebody got murdered on the list because so often i've seen it trashed, and it's really a cool song. i like what alan parker had to say, "One of the greatest songs ever written, from the first bar to the last. i never wanted it to end." (i know personally i've been known to put that song on repeat...)

straight to hell is better than london calling. sorry. just is. london calling is a great song, but i don't see how it's higher on the list than something like safe european home. everyone seemed to get on the approaching doom sort of sound and theme of LC, and i guess when you think of it in that respect, it's a fucking incredible song. it's jsut never been my favourite, maybe i'm just biased cos it was the reason i was sure i was supposed to hate the clash (the beatlemania line, for anyone who i haven't already told...i was a dumb kid).

i did enjoy the article though, and i'm satisfied with my purchase. i'll never listen to the cd again, but i did buy the magazine for the article (although i expected a bit more from the covers...)

i enjoyed the fact that there was a lot to the article, and then the part where mick and paul commented.

Last edited:
i love somebody got murdered, and yes, i'm quite glad to see it in. broadway was rather odd though.

and christ i forgot death or glory. that's top 10 material.

this is way too high fidelity though. :)

this is way too high fidelity though. :)

:lol: yes it is

but who said that was a bad thing? :wink:

death or glory actually alternates with white man in hammersmith and striaght to hell as my #1 all-time top favourite clash song.

i'm listening to straight to hell (extended version on the box set, oh yeah) right now, so that's tops of course at the moment :D

here's the top 30 (I'm probably going to get this over the weekend, I've somehow got to sponge $10 off someone first)

30.this is england
29.spanish bombs
28.the guns of brixton
27.career opportunities
26.tommy gun
25.im so bored with the usa
24.the magnificent seven
23.should i stay or should i go
22.somebody got murdered
21.armagideon time
20.broadway
19.lost in the supermarket
18.police on my back
17.rudie cant fail
16.rock the casbah
15.stay free
14.bankrobber
13.londons burning
12.police and thieves
11.janie jones
10.white riot
9.clash city rockers
8.safe european home
6.garageland
5.i fought the law
4.straight to hell
3.london calling
2.complete control
1.(white man)in hammersith palais

oh crap police and thieves IS on it. no way police and thieves is the #12 clash song ever. no way. it's not a bad song. but is it better than i'm so bored with the usa, police on my back, lost in the supermarket, guns of brixton, spanish bombs, career ops or tommy gun? did they have to boot off death or glory to make room for police and thieves? argh. i don't really hate it, but i think it's a bit blah.

i think i'm going to watch westway to the world later

gotta go to class first though.

i wanna move the town to the clash city rockers

yertle-the-turtle said:
oh crap police and thieves IS on it. no way police and thieves is the #12 clash song ever. no way. it's not a bad song. but is it better than i'm so bored with the usa, police on my back, lost in the supermarket, guns of brixton, spanish bombs, career ops or tommy gun? did they have to boot off death or glory to make room for police and thieves? argh. i don't really hate it, but i think it's a bit blah.

i usually skip it on the album. i think my main problem with it is that it's long. or it's cetainly mammoth in comparrison with the rest of the tracks on the album. it goes on for too long.

career ops is seriously one of the best songs. (now listening to it)

I can't find this mag anywhere!
grrrrrrr.
i'm going mental...i must have gone to 15 different stores and nada!
anyone know of a place online where i can get this mag?
help out a Clash fan in need LOL!
i guess i could do a search on "Uncut"...
gah...this is completely frustrating.:angry:

awww thanks IWB :hug:
you rock, girl :wave:
i'll try all those links....before i saw your post...i did a search and found the UNCUT site...unfort. this issue wouldn't be considered a back issue....yet.
i've checked stores in both my freakin hicktown of a city and Toronto (i was there for a few days last week) and have come up dry each time.
you'd think i would have no problem finding this fookin mag in Toronto lol.
thanks for the help, IWB...
btw...i've been meaning to ask you....your college radio station that you host....do you guys broadcast over the internet?
i would love to hear your station if possible...i've seen samples of your playlists and i tell ya....i would love to tune in if i could :drool:
let me know, hon. :)

Shit, I've still completely forgotten to look for this. And somehow I've missed out on this great debate on Clash songs...*sigh* My head seems to be waaaay up my ass lately!

good to hear it worked

there was only one copy in newbury comics when i got there, and it was volume 2. i think the articles are the same, the only difference is the cd.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom