Welcome to the arctic (this is Canada)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Last night I realized that I live in the freakin' arctic.

Here's da play by play:

4:00pm: Leave house to go to work. All's quiet, cold, nice.

1:00am: Get outside. Holy shit. Can't see my car. Where's my car?

--It's been reduced to one of those large budles of snow in the parking lot. No ice scraper. Scrape ice off with hands. Very cold.

--Pull out of parking lot. Slide out of control down the street. Windshield is foggy. Can't see a damn thing. The heat doesn't work. Wiper fluid isn't working either. Niiiice.

--Pull over into the mall parking lot and wait 20 minutes for the heat to kick in. Did I mention that there's no heat? And my coat and gloves are soaked from wiping off the car? So I listen to COLDplay. Find these lines rather ironic:

"I was scared, I was scared. Tired and underprepared. But I'll wait for it"

--Scared to death, tired, not prepared for snow. Waiting for the heat....

--Drive home. 40km/hr at best. Any faster and I go slip sliding away. 10km on the hills. Everyone's using the two lane road as one lane. Some guy tries to pass me. I'm doing 15km. He's doing 20km. It takes him over 5 minutes to pass me.

--Get home after 45 minutes. This place is normally only 10-15 minutes away. The snow in my driveway is up to my ankles.

I live in a snowglobe.

-------
Any other snow stories?

----------------
I should mention that I love snow. I love to ski, christmas, winter, fine. I've never driven in that before though. Black ice? Ahhhhhhh....(it's only November. It will, it will, it will get worse)

Last edited:
The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Any other snow stories?

Not for the last 30+ years!

Except my baby and I drove home in crazy snow a few Easters ago from the Grand Canyon! It was the same weekend that U2 filmed the Elevation video. We were in Williams, AZ, and woke up to at least 6 inches of snow on the car the morning we came home. It snowed like a maniac all the way to Kingman. In Kingman, the snow let up somewhat, but the flakes were huge! By the time we got to Laughlin, it was raining, warm, and thundery.

But that's almost it since I moved here from Omaha. A few interesting drives up in the Sierra Nevada, but not an everyday winter deal like you Canucks and American easterners have.

Don't start me on Omaha!

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
Last night I realized that I live in the freakin' arctic.

Here's da play by play:

4:00pm: Leave house to go to work. All's quiet, cold, nice.

1:00am: Get outside. Holy shit. Can't see my car. Where's my car?

--It's been reduced to one of those large budles of snow in the parking lot. No ice scraper. Scrape ice off with hands. Very cold.

--Pull out of parking lot. Slide out of control down the street. Windshield is foggy. Can't see a damn thing. The heat doesn't work. Wiper fluid isn't working either. Niiiice.

--Pull over into the mall parking lot and wait 20 minutes for the heat to kick in. Did I mention that there's no heat? And my coat and gloves are soaked from wiping off the car? So I listen to COLDplay. Find these lines rather ironic:

"I was scared, I was scared. Tired and underprepared. But I'll wait for it"

--Scared to death, tired, not prepared for snow. Waiting for the heat....

--Drive home. 40km/hr at best. Any faster and I go slip sliding away. 10km on the hills. Everyone's using the two lane road as one lane. Some guy tries to pass me. I'm doing 15km. He's doing 20km. It takes him over 5 minutes to pass me.

--Get home after 45 minutes. This place is normally only 10-15 minutes away. The snow in my driveway is up to my ankles.

I live in a snowglobe.

-------
Any other snow stories?

----------------
I should mention that I love snow. I love to ski, christmas, winter, fine. I've never driven in that before though. Black ice? Ahhhhhhh....(it's only November. It will, it will, it will get worse)
Bwahahahaha!!! Thank God I live on the West Coast! I always love telling people from the rest of Canada about our 20 degree (Celcius) Januaries - not to mention the blue sky Christmases (tee hee).

Gawd what a contrast to here. Its now 6pm at night and still about 35 degrees C. We're having a bit of a drought prob right now all across this burnt cracked dry country. We had a small reprieve just on the weekend with a bit of rain but now that is all gone and it is so dry and hot even the weeds are dying.

:scream:

At least its not snowing I guess. I hate snow!

It's melting, melting away now.

I don't mind the snow that much, so long as the summers are decent. I hate rain with a passion, so it's a trade off, as I see it. I wouldn't last in BC a week.

ahhhh!!!

to hell with the west coast
I have tons of snow in good ol newfie and the blue skies are even bluer and crisper.

Nothing better than a nice cool day going out on a frozen lake...it's the life

unless of course, you live in edmonton and it gets ungodly cold

anitram said:
It's melting, melting away now.

I don't mind the snow that much, so long as the summers are decent. I hate rain with a passion, so it's a trade off, as I see it. I wouldn't last in BC a week.
Yeah, if you don't like rain, then you wouldn't like Vancouver in the wintertime. Though I love snow (so long as it stays as snow and not slush) I'd still rather have the weather as warm and wet, than dry and frickin' freezing Mr. Biglesworth!

When it's not raining in Vancouver, our winters are amazing. I remember last Chrismas day very well. Warm and blue skies. I was out in a T-shirt!

Last edited:
AHHHH I am from the EDMONTON you speak off. We get the winters from hell!! We are the most northern capital in Canada!!!

But we are supertroppers we can handle the -25 -30 for two straight months!!! And you know why? Cause I dont!! Actually i rather winter then summer becasue i hate the heat!!! And its get hot here!!

Drive home. 40km/hr at best. Any faster and I go slip sliding away. 10km on the hills. Everyone's using the two lane road as one lane. Some guy tries to pass me. I'm doing 15km. He's doing 20km. It takes him over 5 minutes to pass me.

Thats so funny becaseu its so true. ONe time it had just snowed about a foot and was still snowing it was rush hour going down a two lane semi busy road. In the middle of the four lanes there was a turning lane for either north or south traffic. This guy starts honking at me and giving me the finger becasue i was going 50k, the limit is 60!!! so he pulls into this middle lane that hasnt been driven in and floors it. So i say FUCK YOU and i floor it. So now we are both going 75k. He pulls next too me and gives me the finger. I look ahead and see traffic stopping so i hit the brakes. He then hits his brakes and and startsspinning into oncoming traffic and missed them all and hit a light post. I know its mean but i laughed!!!

Oh and by the way Edmonton has the worst drivers in CANADA!!! ANd the thrid worst roads in north america!!!

I went outside and made a snowangel yesterday!! :)

I was going to make a snowman, cos it was packing snow, but i was too lazy.... :shrug:

But this morning, when I was walking to schooll, the sidewalks weren't shovelled yet and i got my shoes wet. and when i was waiting to cross the road at an intersection, a car was going really fast and splashed slush onto me and my friend. :| bum.

souLnation2002 said:
I went outside and made a snowangel yesterday!! :)

I was going to make a snowman, cos it was packing snow, but i was too lazy.... :shrug:

But this morning, when I was walking to schooll, the sidewalks weren't shovelled yet and i got my shoes wet. and when i was waiting to cross the road at an intersection, a car was going really fast and splashed slush onto me and my friend. :| bum.

AWWWWWW I love snow!!!

and i got drowned by a bus once when it was snowing. not very pleasant!

Canada doesn't have it *too* bad

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Here's da play by play:

Good line that.

I um, live in a wind tunnel. But it's warm :) today it was like 20C. But when we get snow, it's a hardcore blizzard with ice and rain and freezingness and tons of snow. *can't wait*

I wouldn't be able to live in any place where there was no snow!!! That was be gross

25cm of snow
my grandpa got a big flashy snowblower
of course we never get snow till december so we have no gas for it
the cars in my driveway have been reduced to 2 piles of white stuff
then it decided to melt a little bit in the afternoon
then it got cold again
I skated to the bus stop after school
the bus skated home
I shoveled off the cars so my grandfather could go to get gas
he got gas
the snowblower is frozen and doesnt work
we ran out of salt
my driveway is now also ice
But it's paking snow and that means snowball fights!!!
It's all good
If it was that fluffy white crap (a poor excuse for snow IMO) I would not be happy
cept for the fact that it woiuld have been easier to shovel
Did I mention that the snow drifts in my driveway?
That means 3 feet of snow to be exact
Did I mention the snowplough trick?
when you finish shoveling it comes by and puts all the nicely packed snow in your driveway
But it's so much fun to play in I cant complain.
Me and my friend are making a giant penis at school tomorrow
YAY!

RavenStar said:

Me and my friend are making a giant penis at school tomorrow
YAY!

ah, yes....the traditional "building of the holiday penis"

ghetofabu said:

I thought you lived West of the Moon, East of the Sun

In a snowglobe West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

Heehee :)

Originally posted by Basstrap
I wouldn't be able to live in any place where there was no snow!!! That was be gross

Ditto that. When I was a kid, my parents used to tell me that Santa wouldn't come unless it snowed. I was PARANOID every Christmas, wishing, hoping that it would snow....one year it didn't and I nearly had a heart attack....I never understood how Sants could visit all those kids in Hawaii with no snow :sexywink: What the heck do all you warm -weather folks tell your kids?

Besides, I need snow. It makes all the Christmas lights look pretty. And it makes my lawn look just as good as everyone elses :wink:
Snowmen, snow angels, tobogganing, skiing/snowboarding, hats, mitts, a parka, big sweaters, big boots, firesides, hot chocolate....

I think I actually love winter.

Just keep the roads clear.

*lol at the ## of Canadians that have responded to this thread.*

I've got to be honest. I grew up in the Okanagan Valley (specifically Kelowna, B.C.), where the summer's are like California, but the winters are quite cold indeed. I must admit, I do miss the feel of crunchy snow beneath my feet, and I miss all the snow covered evergreens. I miss going to the outdoor rinks and skating, or playing hockey. I'll always be grateful of my Canadian childhood. We're so lucky to have all 4 seasons. It's the best country in the world, and that's just one of the small factors on the list!

I'm originally from SASKATCHEWAN: aka: frozen bosom of the NORTH.

I remember winters that were so cold door handles snapped off in my little gloved hand because it was -50.

I'm SO messed up now that I'm having my first west coast "Winter". LMAO. This is like perpetual September for me.

:)

Boy do we ever have 4 seasons!
is so friggin hot in the summer. Well, not hot but humid.
our winters are damp and cold
everything turns into a lake in spring
and the leaves seem to multiply when they hit the ground
does life even exist without snow????

bonoman said:
Ah correction mister griffiths. MJF grew up in good old edmonton!
Well, everything I've ever read about him states that he's from Burnaby! He was actually just back in Burnaby for a charity golf tourny last year, and the media all made a big thing about the fact that he was coming back to his home town to "give back to the community". Also, his parents reside there, still to this day. Remember that show on CBC called "Leo and Me" that he was on when he was about 14? That was filmed in Vancouver. I even read part of his autiobiography when he talked about his Burnaby childhood. I do seem to remember him saying something about, perhaps, his extended family being from Edmonton (maybe even his parents), but as far as I know he wasn't. Maybe he spent some time there? Let's look it up on the net for proof!

Question for the rest of you Canadians:

What is your current temperature? The reason I ask, is because I'm on the West Coast right now, and it's like a warm spring day! The temperature is 16 degrees Celsius! For you Americans (if there are any reading this!), that's like 60 degrees F.!! I'm walking around in a T-shirt, and feeling totally comfortable, the sun just giving me this nice warm fuzzy feeling. And it's late Novermber! Crazy. I love the West Coast, hehe

i enjoy all wheel drive. i can take my stealth anywhere.

i dont know what temperature it is here in the capital. looking out the window the skies above parliament hill and the US embassy are overcast.

Ok can someone kill michael or shall I:wink:

I really hate when westcoasters say things like that. They love to rub in the temp thing!

Well actually right now we are having a heat wave. It 10 degrees!! And for the Grey cup(which will be won by edmonton!) its suppossed to be 6 degrees, but you know what they say in Alberta, or maybe you dont so i'll tell you, if you dont like the weather wait five minutes!! HARDY HAR HAR!

I from one of the United States of Southern Canada (Minnesota, more specifically), and I am proud to say we had a trace this morning........Thank you God for not dumping on us yet.

I'll be our mother-nation's capitol this weekend - Toronoto - and I am hoping there is no snow.

:tongue:

come on down!errr i mean up

zonelistener said:
Um, about me being in toronto - or the capitol thing?

You know I know......I just don' wnat to let the truth out to everyone else. :sexywink: :sexywink: :sexywink: :sexywink:

gotchya:yes:

dont worry. there wont be any snow. at least fresh snow.

Back
Top Bottom