Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols thinks he was snubbed.

The St. Louis Cardinals' slugger is upset he lost out to Philadelphia's Ryan Howard for the National League MVP award, saying Wednesday the honor should go to someone on a playoff team.

"I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP," Pujols said in Spanish at a news conference organized by the Dominican Republic's sports ministry.

Pujols led the Cardinals to the NL Central title this year and their first World Series championship since 1982. Howard and the Phillies missed the playoffs -- though they won two more regular-season games than St. Louis.

The Dominican-born Pujols batted .331 with 49 home runs and 137 RBI, while Howard hit .313 with 58 homers and 149 RBI.

Howard got 20 first-place votes for MVP and 388 points in balloting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Pujols received 12 first-place votes and 347 points. Voting is conducted before the postseason.

Pujols, the 2005 NL MVP, said he has bigger dreams -- a spot in the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. The BBWAA also votes for the Hall of Fame.

"It is still early, but it is a dream I have," Pujols said. "My hope is that in good time I will have sufficient numbers to get to Cooperstown."

not that my opinion matters, but hey albert... shut the fuck up already.

if you switched the phillies and cardinals divisions, the cardinals miss the playoffs and the phillies go. the phillies won more games, for pete's sake. it's not like they won 60 games and they still gave howard the mvp... and it's not like the cardinals won 90+.

albert's fall from a guy i really liked to a guy who i really don't like continues.

albert is poised to take the big slugger douchebag crown upon bonds' retirement.

and a disclaimer 'cause i know it's coming... yes, i would take him in a heartbeat and completely ignore his douchebaggery tendancies if he was on the mets. after all... two years ago my least favorite player in all of baseball was pedro martinez. now i have his jersey. read to the left... i'm a fucking sell out. just like boner.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
albert is poised to take the big slugger douchebag crown upon bonds' retirement.

and a disclaimer 'cause i know it's coming... yes, i would take him in a heartbeat and completely ignore his douchebaggery tendancies if he was on the mets. after all... two years ago my least favorite player in all of baseball was pedro martinez. now i have his jersey. read to the left... i'm a fucking sell out. just like boner.

Ha ha. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if I want my new Sheffield jersey in the home or away colors. I'm a bitch.

Wow, I don't think even Bonds would say something like Pujols did. Just a wild guess here, but this probably cements everybody outside of St. Louis hating his guts. If Albert doesn't shut up, maybe the Hall of Fame isn't a lock for him.

MrPryck2U said:
Wow, I don't think even Bonds would say something like Pujols did. Just a wild guess here, but this probably cements everybody outside of St. Louis hating his guts. If Albert doesn't shut up, maybe the Hall of Fame isn't a lock for him.

ummmm no. baseball only stops people from entering the hall of fame if they took substances that weren't banned by baseball at the time, and/or they gambled on the sport. being a douchebag dosn't matter. see ty cobb, the grand pooba of uberdouchebags.

if pujols continues on his current pace he'll be a gauranteed 1st ballot hall of famer, and probably as close to a unanimous one as you could be. and deservedly so.

MrPryck2U said:
If Albert doesn't shut up, maybe the Hall of Fame isn't a lock for him.

pops%20crazy%20face%2002%20final.jpg

He's a lock if he keeps going. Even if they catch him eating the souls of children with a spoon. L-O-C-K

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ummmm no. baseball only stops people from entering the hall of fame if they took substances that weren't banned by baseball at the time, and/or they gambled on the sport. being a douchebag dosn't matter.
Jim Douchebag Rice might beg to differ.

Sportswriters hold grudges.

Hewson said:
Jim Douchebag Rice might beg to differ.

Sportswriters hold grudges.

true. jim rice should be in the hall of fame. if his numbers were like pujols', he would be... despite the obvious grudges against him.

i hope rice gets in by the player's committee one day. with some of the bums they've let in recently it's a joke that he's sitting on the outside.

Oh please, this is so overblown. After Howard won the MVP Pujols praised him. They are good friends and workout together. Pujols has mentioned over and over again that he'd turn in all his awards for a World Series ring, which he now has. So now one line from one interview comes out from his hometown Domican Republic newspaper where he says the MVP should come from a playoff team, a view that is widely held by many people, and that makes him a jerk? Give me a break.

btw Ortiz's comments earlier in the year were wrose than this, yet where was the outcry then?

Ortiz' comments were blown out of proportion by a NY writer (shockingly).
And it was backpage news in NYC, plenty of pinstriped outcry.

Chizip said:
btw Ortiz's comments earlier in the year were wrose than this, yet where was the outcry then?

Use the "search" button on this forum.

Of course, next year Ortiz will probably hit .240 with 10 HR, 40 RBI and 463 walks without Manny, so he won't have to worry about the MVP at all.

Albert Belle was a great hitter, but a lousy personality and injuries will keep him out of the Hall. If Belle had a personality like a Ripken or a Gwynn, some folks would consider him. But, injuries forced him to retire too soon. But, not a little too soon for the press and Major League Baseball. Pujols is a very talented player. I would hope that he has more great seasons to get him into the HOF, but he's gotta be careful of silly quotes like this. If they keep piling up, folks won't believe you when you say it was "taken out of context".

Plus, there's the whole Big Mac thing about the press not voting him into the HOF because he won't confess about his past. Big Mac should've been a lock, but now he's not.

Pujols should learn from these guys what not to do.

From the same article...

At first it hurt that he didn’t win, Pujols admitted. “But I won the MVP in 2005 and said I’d trade it for a World Series ring, and that’s what happened this year.”

Geez what a jerk.

belle would not get considered for the hall if he were a saint. he neve won any awards, didn't even eclipse 400 homers and didn't have a career average above .300, nor was he a speed demon or a perennial gold glove winner (never won one.)

so no, nobody sane would really induct belle based on merit and not on his douchebaggery.

And Chizzy should take particular note of what I said about Ortiz;

Hewson said:

That being said, as a Red Sox fan, I'll say this: Stop squawking about the damn MVP award and do your job.

And perhaps take a similar attitude about Poo Holes rather than kissing his ample butt even though he's a whiney baby.
The man can hit, one of the top hitters in MLB right now. His attitude however sucks.

pujols is amazing and right and he's a good guy.

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are trying to trade Tim Hudson, but are asking for too high of a price right now.
That Hudson could demand a second trade after next year scares some teams. However, he'd probably need to bounce back next season in order to pull that off. He's due just $6 million next year in his heavily backloaded deal, leaving him with salaries of $13 million each of the following two seasons. Even in this market, he'd have to pitch better than he did in 2006 in order to receive that kind of money.

100 % certain Howard doesn't bitch if he doesn't win.

Granted, he'd probably know he shouldn't have won. But still, Pujols is sounding like an asshole right now.

St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols, saying he was sick to his stomach the way he was portrayed in a recent interview in the Dominican Republic, plans to apologize to National League MVP winner Ryan Howard.

"I feel so bad because I love Ryan Howard," Pujols told USA TODAY. "I never said he didn't deserve the MVP. He is deserving of that award. He earned it. That's why he got it. I'm not trying to defend myself; I just want to tell him that I'm sorry for all of this because he earned the MVP. The last thing I want to do is spoil this for him."

Pujols was quoted last week in a news conference organized by the Dominican Republic's sports ministry as saying, "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

Pujols said his comments were misinterpreted. "The way that came out hurt me big time," Pujols said. "I'm very angry about that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom