Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:01 PM
The voters probably thought Ryan Howard accomplished more with a weaker team (I don't know if the stats bear this out, but that's probably what they thought).

Plus, chicks dig the long ball.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Is this to make up for screwing us out of the pivotal game against Washington by calling Utley's homer off the pole a foul ball?

It's not all stats, though - Howard did literally carry a failing team back into the playoff race over the summer.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

he carried his team to not making the playoffs? they could have done that with or without him. Pujols carried his team on his back, with better numbers, AND lead his team to the playoffs. and in the last couple weeks Howard slumped big time while Pujols hit a season saving homerun to get the Cards into the playoffs.

its weird how the writers criteria changes every year.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, the writers did vote Alex Rodriguez the AL MVP in 2002 for carrying the Texas Rangers to within 27 games of a playoff berth.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Well, the writers did vote Alex Rodriguez the AL MVP in 2002 for carrying the Texas Rangers to within 27 games of a playoff berth.
well at least then AROD was by far the best player in the league

this year Pujols was a slightly better hitter, a better baserunner, and a muuuuch better defender. he carried an otherwise bad team into the playoffs and allowed them to win a world series. But because Howard hit more homruns in a homerun hitters park he wins the MVP? thats ridic. Pujols had a better slugging percentage anyway.

2006 NL Win Shares:
Pujols-39
Beltran-38
Cabrera-34
Berkman-34
Wright-32
Howard-31
Soriano-30

Hell Beltran would have been a better choice. He plays great defense, and puts up great numbers from a premium position in CF, and he was on a playoff team.

and what's funny is that Jeter is going to win the MVP tomorrow with his 14 homeruns and 97 RBIs while Ortiz won't come close with his 54 homeruns and 137 rbis.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Jeter winning the MVP would be the equivalent of winning a lifetime achievement award. No standout candidates so give it to Jeter to complete his career.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

When does the Baseball Writers Association vote for MVP? I can't remember if it is before the playoffs start or after, although I'm thinking it's before.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

yeah all awards are voted on before the playoffs start
Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
he carried his team to not making the playoffs? they could have done that with or without him. Pujols carried his team on his back, with better numbers, AND lead his team to the playoffs. and in the last couple weeks Howard slumped big time while Pujols hit a season saving homerun to get the Cards into the playoffs.

its weird how the writers criteria changes every year.
He carried his team from borderline firesale to competitor, and something you can work with, something that matters. That's why the core of the team is still there going into next year. Howard carried his team more than Pujols carried his. For longer anyway.

I'm not saying it's correct, I'm saying the reasoning. I think Pujols should have been MVP. But I do think Howard meant more to his team than Pujols did to his. The Phils have very little else on their roster. The Cards at least have some other pieces (i.e.: half-decent pitching).

And I think the writers know that Pujols would have hit the same number of homers had he not been hurt AND had played in Philly. Maybe more.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

He carried his team from borderline firesale to competitor, and something you can work with, something that matters. That's why the core of the team is still there going into next year. Howard carried his team more than Pujols carried his. For longer anyway.

I'm not saying it's correct, I'm saying the reasoning. I think Pujols should have been MVP. But I do think Howard meant more to his team than Pujols did to his. The Phils have very little else on their roster. The Cards at least have some other pieces (i.e.: half-decent pitching).

And I think the writers know that Pujols would have hit the same number of homers had he not been hurt AND had played in Philly. Maybe more.
How can you say Pujols had better players around him? The Phillies team OPS was 5th in MLB while the Cardinals' was 14th. And this is apparent in their RBI totals. The only reason Howard had more RBIs was because the lineup around him got on base much more often. Just look at these numbers:

Pujols
BA w/ RISP .397 SLG .802
BA w/ RISP and 2 outs .435 SLG .826

Howard
BA w/ RISP .256 SLG .518
BA w/ RISP and 2 outs .247 SLG .481

That's incredible.

The Cardinals had better pitching? They had Carpenter and a bunch of stiffs. Their team ERA was 4.54, the Phillies team ERA was 4.60, so they were basically the same. So I don't see how Pujols had more to work with when the Phillies team was much better at hitting, and had virtually identical pitching.

And Howard carried his team for longer? That's laughable. Pujols carried his team from day 1. He set the homerun record for April and kept it up throughout the year. Howard carried his team for half a year. Maybe if he had played better earlier, they wouldn't have become a "firesale" team. I'd rather have a player who is consistent throughout the whole year rather than someone who gets hot at the end. I mean the early games count just as much as the late ones. Without Pujols the Cardinals don't win 70 games, he was the team this year.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

The Dodgers sign Juan Freakin Pierre to a 5 year 45 million dollar deal

unreal
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

At this rate, Matsuzaka will turn out to be a bargain.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

and what's funny is that Jeter is going to win the MVP tomorrow with his 14 homeruns and 97 RBIs while Ortiz won't come close with his 54 homeruns and 137 rbis.
Thats not funny, its sad.
Jeter is worthy of consideration, but should place 3rd or 4th.
Justin Morneau or Jermaine Dye should finish ahead of him as well as Ortiz, who won't win due to the Red Sox' collpase in August and September.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

if pujols hadn't missed 3 weeks in the middle of the season he probably woulda hit 60 something...

screwed? how about an argument over who was more important to two teams that could barely get over .500 in the regular season? the cardinals won 83 games... woooooooo... yea, pujols got screwed. hey, howard led his team to more wins than the cardinals. this is a regular season award, after all.

no met finished better than 4th. who again got screwed?

to be fair... howard, pujols, beltran, reyes... all were worthy of winning... howard and pujols ultimately had the better glamour numbers. howard got the votes. he won. pujols could have won as well. he didn't... he didn't get screwed. if the cardinals won 90+ games and they still gave it to howard, that would be a screw job. this is a regular season award... the cardinals barely finished over .500 and almost pissed away the division in the last week.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

I would have liked Moises Alou 6 years ago.